PDA

View Full Version : Come On then

drezha
11-28-2006, 03:43 PM
For the festive season, I've switched to RC-72. And after a brief sojurn crunching for TPR on the project, I got lonely (me being the only member) and moved back to AMD users...

And now I'm hitting it with a bit of a vengence..
http://stats.distributed.net/participant/phistory.php?project_id=8&id=459726

That 192 WU yesterday was for TPR and thats only 1 machine:icon_eek: :D
8,000,000+ keys a second. Dual core Core Duo works nice. :)
And I'll be adding my 3500+ as soon as my last folding unit finishes on it (30 hours left).. After folding (sometimes upto 150+hours a unit) it makes a change to run 8 minute units!

You've got about 2 weeks of full ahead crunching before I cut back for when I'm home:(

So watch out, AMD-USR_JL, Beerknurd and blackheath, I'm coming through!:icon_cool:

Beerknurd
11-28-2006, 05:13 PM
I haven't run that in a long time... You are more than welcome to take my 29th spot... :lol:

drezha
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I haven't run that in a long time... You are more than welcome to take my 29th spot... :lol:

:lol:
Thats not really the spirit is it? :p

spikey_richie
11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Can this be run from within BOINC? Or do you need to use the standalone client?

AMD-USR_JL
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
You're going to need that 3500+ my dually crunches at 20.8 million keys a sec. :icon_razz:.

You do need a standalone client spikey_richie.

NeoGen
11-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Standalone client. DNet is one of the oldest projects out there, and is ported for more different platforms that any other project in existance.

drezha
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
You're going to need that 3500+ my dually crunches at 20.8 million keys a sec. :icon_razz:.

You do need a standalone client spikey_richie.
:shocked:

What the hell's that? Guess it's the an AMD one? I chuck out a unit every 8 minutes on the 3500+ and I think it's the same on the Core Duo...at least that what I get if I divide the time taken by total credits done (on core throughput screen)

Standalone client Spikey. But it's a good client. MUCH better than BOINC and IIRC beat BOINC to the same platform, mulitple project client.
Daunting maybe to start with setting up but it works nicely, and detects how many cores your PC has etc.:icon_biggrin:

AMD-USR_JL
11-28-2006, 10:40 PM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2011/208mk1.jpg :icon_biggrin:

Just wait until i get a usb keyboard and am able to install FC5 on my PS3. Already got the bootloader installed and the DVD is burned, i just can't type install-fc sda with a ps3 controller. Then everyone will be in trouble. :icon_cool:

gatekeeper53
11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
To bad your not close I just had to put a USB wireless desktop in the closet because it won't work with my KVM switch.

drezha
11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
:eek:
What is that? a 4200+?

Will FC5 work on the PS3? Is it a PPC?

AMD-USR_JL
11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
It's an OC'd 4800 at 2.57Ghz. There's some screens of FC5 on a PS3 here, just scroll down a little bit.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35818
Yea it's a ppc

drezha
11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh...linux on a PS3....:)

I caught the bug a while back and went around trying to install linux/open source frimware to whatever I could lay my hands on. Though (Luckily maybe?) I only found my iRiver MP3 player and installed Rockbox on it. :lol:

I fancy trying to install Linux on a PS2 now. I know it can be done. Might not be a great performer but to say I've done it...just have to borrow my housemates PS2 lol

drezha
11-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Appears the Core Duo isn't as good as I thought it was.

At least not on RC-72...
My first unit on my 3500+ went through at 7,850,544 keys/s. And my Core Duo is equalling about 8,000,000 keys/s. Would the fact my 3500+ is running linux a difference?

AMD-USR_JL
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
I had no luck. Just like everytime i try to install linux on anything the GUI will not display. I see the screen flash with 16:9 borders like it's loading a GUI for one second, but then it goes back to command line. It might just be my monitor so i'll try using my T.V. tomorrow by HDMI. Wish me luck.

Brucifer
11-30-2006, 05:20 AM
For the festive season, I've switched to RC-72. And after a brief sojurn crunching for TPR on the project, I got lonely (me being the only member) and moved back to AMD users...

Heck, sounds like a plan. I'll toss a few towards rc5 for the holidays too. Would be nice to see a few people banging something besides boinc. :)

drezha
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I had no luck. Just like everytime i try to install linux on anything the GUI will not display. I see the screen flash with 16:9 borders like it's loading a GUI for one second, but then it goes back to command line. It might just be my monitor so i'll try using my T.V. tomorrow by HDMI. Wish me luck.

No luck on the linux on the PS3? Or no luck on linux whatsoever?

Anyhow, whats the proper way of closing it in linux? Ctrl+C? RUns in a terminal so I assume Ctrl+C might work.

gatekeeper53
11-30-2006, 11:07 AM
It's an OC'd 4800 at 2.57Ghz. There's some screens of FC5 on a PS3 here, just scroll down a little bit.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35818
Yea it's a ppc

With my new cooler I have got my 4800 crunching Pi Segment at 2.766GHz but the cooler wasn't cheap.

Brucifer
11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
No luck on the linux on the PS3? Or no luck on linux whatsoever?

Anyhow, whats the proper way of closing it in linux? Ctrl+C? RUns in a terminal so I assume Ctrl+C might work.

Yes, Ctrl-C is the way to shut it down.

In regards to most crunching, a terminal window works for everything. No need to install the GUI on a cruncher. About the only reason to have the gui would be if you are using the system for web browsing or some other application the really needs a graphical interface. In the crunching world, you would probably need the gui to install and set up wine so you could run windows programs which would theoretically give you better speed such as using jjsieve for rieselsieve or psp sieving if not using the linux prothsieve client. On the rare occasions that I do run boinc, I use the linux client and set boinc up in different directories for different projects and don't use the windows method of attaching to multiple projects and letting the scheduler determine what gets what.

My main reason for running linux is that windows costs too much and I couldn't afford to buy windows for each cruncher. I also don't have all my systems hooked up to KVM's. I use ssh or telnet to get into those boxes.

My preferred linux for crunchers is slackware and I do a minimal install to save disk space. I collect old/used smaller sized HD's. Helps keep the costs down on farming.

Brucifer
11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Appears the Core Duo isn't as good as I thought it was.

At least not on RC-72...
My first unit on my 3500+ went through at 7,850,544 keys/s. And my Core Duo is equalling about 8,000,000 keys/s. Would the fact my 3500+ is running linux a difference?

I wouldn't think so. The two clients move along pretty much together. If running linux, you should go to a 64-bit version, like opensuse-64. Then you could run the native 64-bit dnetc linux client which will give you a bit of a gain on speed over the 32-bit linux and windows client. Last I knew they hadn't completed a 64-bit windows client yet. I use Suse-64 on my dual core crunchers.

drezha
11-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm interested in running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu (yes I need the GUI, it is my main rig so I use for web browsing and work)

But because it's my main rig, I fear this is where it might let me down. I don't think everything has moved over to 64 bit. Therefore more hard work and at the minute, I just don't have the time to. I might try at a later date (unfortunatly, my main rig is staying at Uni while I'm going home so I cant try when I DO have the time...)

Suse I've tried and I've not really liked. Time and time again I've tried other distro's and nothing's beat Ubuntu.In fact the best version of that was 6.06 IMHO but running 6.10 at the minute and while it's sorted some niggles, it's introduced some others. (Like the CPU usage when watching films etc has dropped) whereas when I restart, I have to make sure my USB keyboard/mouse combo aren't plugged in because it stops USB working (but that might be my kernel...AFAIK I upgraded my kernel...)

Brucifer
11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm interested in running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu (yes I need the GUI, it is my main rig so I use for web browsing and work)

But because it's my main rig, I fear this is where it might let me down. I don't think everything has moved over to 64 bit. Therefore more hard

No sweat, all the 32-bit stuff still runs on it.

AMD-USR_JL
11-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I am at this screen where it says

"[root@dhcppc1 ~]#" Any ideas on how to get the GUI to run or how to install any DC program on it from there?

AMD-USR_JL
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Yay! The Yellow Dog 5.0 Linux which was developed specifically to run on the PS3 was released on mininova today. If i can't get that to install then I am the one with the problems. Wish me luck cause i'll be needing it.

Brucifer
11-30-2006, 09:53 PM
:eek:
What is that? a 4200+?

Will FC5 work on the PS3? Is it a PPC?

I assume you are talking play station 3? I f so, it is cell, not a ppc. I was under the assumption that they werew supposed to come with a linux o/s???

you might want to go looking for a ps3 newsgroup.

drezha
11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
I've not got a PS3 and don't intend to buy one ;)

From reading the Ubuntu forums, not all 32 bit apps work on 64 bit they say.
Opera looks a bit dodgy. (And it's my browser of choice - Swiftfox and firefox have the same problem...text boxes ghost...the cursor appears end of every letter I type)

But I'll download the Ubuntu 6.10 64 bit and 32 bit ISO's and give it a try when I'm back to Uni. (ALso the FAH SMP client appears to work on single core machines...and not at a huge speed disadvantage...IE still completes in time...)

I'll try it. After all it's taking a step forward. Mind last time I downloaded a image via bittorrent it said it was wrong...I'll nip off to linuxtracker.org :)

AMD-USR_JL
12-02-2006, 04:03 AM
I love the Yellow Dog. It is so shiny and everything flashes, zooms, and magnifies, just clickin' on stuff is cool. I need help installing a DC program though. I tried reading a guide on how to install from source and made some progress ( decompressing) on DNET. They have a ppc one already made, so if if someone can tell me how to install it in that form or from source, it'd make me really happy. Thanks.

drezha
12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
As said earlier, the PS3 is a cell processor. I don't think the PPC clients will work on it will they?

AMD-USR_JL
12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Yea the PS3 runs on a cell processor. A cell processor has PPC architecture. Cell is just the name like Athlon, Opteron, Sempron.:icon_wink:

drezha
12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Ah kk.

Oh quick questions.

How do you REALLY stop the dnet client in linux? I Ctrl+C in the terminal window it was opened in to no effect. So I closed the terminal. Then realised it was still running.

How do you kill it without going to the control panel and selecting kill process?

AMD-USR_JL
12-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Ah kk.

Oh quick questions.

How do you REALLY stop the dnet client in linux? I Ctrl+C in the terminal window it was opened in to no effect. So I closed the terminal. Then realised it was still running.

How do you kill it without going to the control panel and selecting kill process?

I have no idea, but how'd you install it? :icon_biggrin:

UPDATE: I solved another piece of the puzzle. I got it to compile, but it had an error, i didn't have lstdc++ to compile. Once i get that installed it might work.

drezha
12-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I didn't need to install it. I downloaded the Linux x86 version, put it in a folder, created a script, made a launcher on the desktop, clicked the launcher and off it went.(When I selected run in terminal windows ;))

And dammit, I'm having trouble installing Linux 64 bit :( It wont even get to the install screen. Think it maybe a SCSI issue...not sure. I vaguely think somnething said SCSI...

AMD-USR_JL
12-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I am having problems installing the GCC (it has that lbstdc++ in it) I do the ./configure and it says
"Cannot configure in source tree.
Make a parallel directory and configure there."

What should i do?

UPDATE: I found a guide and it told me what to do, it got to the very end and said unkown-gnu-linux-ppc not recognized, so i don't know what i am going to do now.

AMD-USR_JL
12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
I searched for an RPM of it. I found one. I went to install and it said it already was installed. I looked in my filesystem and found that just to make it even harder to be compatible this is a ppc64 OS. Out of all the many OSes that DNET supports it doesn't have a PPC64 client. I guess i will try another DC project.

drezha
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Cannot it not run in 32 bit mode?

I know most programs can run in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit OS with the right packages downloaded.

AMD-USR_JL
12-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Really? You've sparked a new flame in me. I'll have to try some more tomorrow.

Brucifer
12-03-2006, 05:23 AM
looks like stats are out again.... :( hard to maintain interest without stats.

AMD-USR_JL
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Yea, it's not that interesting now. :icon_frown:

YUM is interesting though :icon_biggrin:

I tried to install via that, but i had some errors. I looked in the Yellow Dog FAQ and it says that YUM wasn't set up right in the 5.0 release and you have to go and edit all these registry files to fix it. While i was reading the FAQ i noticed some more interesting things. To get a graphic mode on the PS3 you have to install it on something with 720p or above, and if you don't once it's installed it will be in text-only mode. When i had tried to install FC5 i used a composite cable in 480i which explains why i couldn't get the GUI to work. I used a HDMI cable at 720p to install Yellow Dog. I bet that FC5 has a working YUM, so i'm going to reinstall FC5 and try to get DNET running. As long as there is a PPC rpm for that GCC or maybe one for a DC project then i get crunchin.

Brucifer
12-04-2006, 01:36 AM
As the last time the stats broke, I quit crunching. This is just getting a little too frequent now. Like the 4th one in fairly rapid succession. While the "science" is all well and good, I pay my large electric bill every month looking at a good part of it as my "entertainment" and that's where the stats come into the picture. This isn't entertaining any more.

drezha
12-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Still down.

As much as I dislike BOINC, I'm off to run a spot of BOINC now...

Brucifer
12-05-2006, 05:53 AM
The stats are back, so I've put some systems back on it. I think I'll do a bit of a run on ogr for a while anyway. I'm really close to having my psp range knocked out, looks like in a couple more days that will be finished. And tomorrow will also finish a f@h work unit too and I'll put that system onto ogr also.

edit: ah crap..... :( They aren't back. I just didn't look at Bok's stats hard enough. It was an old one. Still no stats on distributed.net's stats server. bummer. oh well, I guess I'll leave some crunchers running on ogr anyway.

drezha
12-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah I moved off it. And then swiftly moved off BOINC as well :p

Put my laptop onto Reisel Sieve LLR.

NeoGen
12-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Just saw this over at distributedcomputing.net... hope it helps :)

version 2.9013.498 of the distributed.net (http://distributedcomputing.info/ap-crypto.html#distributeddotnet) client is available for most major platforms as of November 26, 2006. This version includes an optimized OGR core that is faster on AMD processors.

Brucifer
12-06-2006, 04:57 AM
yep, thanks. I went and sucked it down and loaded all the athlons.

drezha
12-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm back to Folding at home.

I've figured out a way of getting a queue :D