PDA

View Full Version : Pi Segment thread created

vaughan
11-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Now that the project Pi Segment has become popular within our team I have created its own forum thread.

Enjoy.

AMD Users for #1 :icon_wink:

NeoGen
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
AMD Users for #1 :icon_wink:
We're at about 300 workunits to #1! :icon_santa:

gatekeeper53
11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Shouldn't take to long at the rate we're going.

NeoGen
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Our chinese friends have slowed down considerably, I wasn't expecting to have so many unassigned workunits by today... there's still some 6,000 WU's free.

Not that I'm complaining, far from that, it's even better for us when we reach #1 to create a good distance from the #2. :)

Lagu
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
NeoGen

How can you know if we is no 2 or 1. I can´t see other teams through PI´s homepage. There should be a headline: "Teams" as show every teams rank.:icon_wink:

Lagu
11-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Terry, you are doing well. You have gone as a raket

gatekeeper53
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Thank you Lars. About 4 more days and I hope to pass Snoopy. On your sig (at the bottom) it says AMD Users - #2. But you'll have to hurry to see #2 because in about 8 or 9 hours we should be #1!!!! Also if you go to the Statistics button on the top of the Pi Segment page, then click on Group at the side it will show the teams.

NeoGen
12-01-2006, 12:54 PM
50 uploads to #1!!! :biggrin:

I mean 49, I just sent in another one as I'm writing this... :lol:

Lagu
12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
We are now the World leader in PI Segment :wav: :wav:
Well done al of you as run and have run that project. Let us continue and help Jianan Hao (Just) set a new world record.:icon_biggrin:

gamer007
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Congrats everyone! :)

NeoGen
12-01-2006, 10:53 PM
And that makes a handfull of #1 spots that we have grabbed this year!
I hope next year be as productive as this one is being! :)

JUST
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Congrats and thank you very much!

But remember this is only the test section. The statistics will turn to zero after formal deployment. So enhance the power of team and get ready for new competition.

Of course, the contribution of testing would never be neglected. I plan to offer some privilege to teams that participated the test. But I have no idea on the details yet. Do you have some suggestions?

NeoGen
12-02-2006, 11:29 AM
After formal deployment could you keep the beta stage points online but on a separate place for example? For us to remember that we were the beta round champions. :)

JUST
12-02-2006, 03:00 PM
well, what about take a screenshot?
I will post it on the passage about the history of Pi Segment, which will be widely visited by participators.

NeoGen
12-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I would prefer on a separate site, because in a screenshot we could not click to see who were the group participants, like we do on the stats. And I think it's not just us, I'm sure the other groups would like to see themselves too and their members.

vaughan
12-02-2006, 08:40 PM
But remember this is only the test section. The statistics will turn to zero after formal deployment.
Where does it say this is a test section or a beta project. I had a quick look on the Project page and the What is Pi Segment section of the site and all I could find was it was trying to set a record in calculating Pi and it was to popularise DC'ing in China by being the first Chinese developed DC project. Nothing about the stats being wiped to zero is mentioned except in this forum here :2gunsfiring_v1:

JUST
12-03-2006, 04:52 AM
I would prefer on a separate site, because in a screenshot we could not click to see who were the group participants, like we do on the stats. And I think it's not just us, I'm sure the other groups would like to see themselves too and their members.
er, there are some difficulties to implement it. All the pages are dynamic and generated automatically based on Database. After I replace the current WUs to formal ones, the statistics will change accordingly.
But maybe we can try to convert them into static pages to handle it.

JUST
12-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Where does it say this is a test section or a beta project. I had a quick look on the Project page and the What is Pi Segment section of the site and all I could find was it was trying to set a record in calculating Pi and it was to popularise DC'ing in China by being the first Chinese developed DC project. Nothing about the stats being wiped to zero is mentioned except in this forum here :2gunsfiring_v1:
Ooops, I'm so sorry that I did't mention it obviously enough. I forgot to update the "progess" page for a few days. But in somewhere you can find the word - "test" and you may indicate that we have not deployed formally yet.
Actually, all the progress of this project is recorded in forum of EQUN.com and we have completed more than 10 tests since 2004. The current test is the biggest test so far.
In addition, I don't think you run it only for the rank, right? Any suggestions on the project is more valuable than a WU.
Anyway, I will update the progess page and add some obvious message about the current section.

vaughan
12-03-2006, 08:40 AM
In addition, I don't think you run it only for the rank, right?
True, however, the stats make for an interesting competition. I don't know if there are many projects that are still running that don't have stats.

Most of our Team, and many folks in other teams abandoned D2OL and TSC when they reset their stats to zero. Most DC'ers viewed this that their voluntary contribution of computer hardware and electricity was equated to zero value by the project. A minority of people felt happy that "The Science" was not lost due to The Rothberg Institute's inability to have a viable backup, only the stats were crippled.

As far as Pi Segment is concerned and its links to the Equn forum I tried to navigate through it but couldn't find Pi Segment discussed in detail so I gave up. I even tried Babel Fish.

JUST
12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I admit the stats is important and understand your feeling. But take it easy, everyone won't forget hero. Your contribution will never disappear.

I'm afraid most discussion about Pi Segment on EQUN is in Chinese. I thought you found Pi Segment from here: http://www.distributedcomputing.info/ap-math.html
And this is the first public information of Pi Segment in English. It really said we are in beta test section.

Lagu
12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
I have made some statistic in project PI Segment Dec 01 and Dec 03 and got follow quotations:

We are total 11 members.
Of these are 6 running PI.
In average we have lost 7 ranks in the “Personal rank” category whish means some have lost one or more steps and 2 have got up one or more steps.
Download / 24h and Upload / 24h has decreased by 138 respectively 138 WU´s.
In all other categories we have increased our numeral thanks to them as continue run the project.
4 members have stopped run and not download or upload any WU´s definitely or temporary?

I will ask my mates: How do you think we will keep our 1 rank if we don’t stay and help each other? Any Idea how we can boost or keep our rank?

We may not forgot the fact other teams hunt us and will get our scalp. We have Rechenkraft.net, Team-TNT and Team Ninja behind us but they have long way to go before they can stomp us.

Wanted: An American guy as have 5 or 6 AMD´s named after his family and as has done so well in PI Segment so long he run it.:icon_biggrin:

JUST
12-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I have just constructed a scheme that will keep your rank even after deployment - by changing the rank system. I wish it can satisfy participators.
The current system is ranked by UPLOAD and it will return to 0 if I changed the current WUs.
However, we can set up a new system which is ranked by contribution, the sum of UPLOAD and Accumulative Contribution (AC).
Individual Contribution(IC)=UPLOAD number+AC
Team Contribution(TC)=sum of IC for each member

After deployment, I will set the IC=UPLOAD in test * 2+test reward(e.g. 20)
For example, if you uploaded 100 WUs at the end of test, you will get 220 IC.

In this way, all the rank will keep in their original places.

Any suggestions? I really want my scheme could make everyone happy.

Lagu
12-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks gatekeeper53 for your recontribution. You will soon be our team leader in PI Segment.:)

gatekeeper53
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Ice Storm!!!

Scooter
12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
news from the free-dc forum
Put the placeholders in for Pi Segment though I haven't done the parsing yet as it's impossible as it stands. I'll be in touch with the project to see if they can sort something out..