PDA

View Full Version : Beta FAH_SMP client for 64-bit linux

Brucifer
12-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Well curiosity got me so I've done gone and loaded a unit on one of my 3800 X2's to see how it goes. Linux uxed is 64-bit opensuse. Using flags -verbotiy 7 -local -forceasm

drezha
12-04-2006, 10:19 AM
I find verbosity 9 is best.

Did you say yes to big units? Believe that has to be used.

Brucifer
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
yep, said yes to big units. 14 hours now, at 69%. Glycine aR.... just doing one now to see how it goes, and the points thing.

drezha
12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Fair enough.

I'd be running it if I could but the only 64 bit chip I have is single core...

Brucifer
12-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Fair enough.

I'd be running it if I could but the only 64 bit chip I have is single core...

Well from what I was reading on the couterpart thread at ARS, the SMP client is basically really just a sped up single client thing that doesn't *really* use the other cores as one would think. I don't know that for fact, just going on what the talk was there. I don know that when I was running "top" on the linux box, it wasn't even maxing out one cpu 100%. Maybe it will later in the crunching on that work unit. ????

drezha
12-05-2006, 03:03 AM
It's still in Beta and so far it's not currently making use of the CPU's as much as it could from whats being said on the FAH forums. There intending to get it to 100% at times but the threads seem to be jumping between the processors a bit.

Someone did set each thread affinity to each processor and said it made his times a bit faster but I cant remember how he did it. Or that much faster.

I've also read of people using the SMP client on a single core box fine at the minute...mainly because they couldn't get the 32 bit norma version to run...It worked and was completing units in about 1.6 days (within the deadline) but standford said that when the client comes out of beta, they maybe lowering the deadlines because after all, it's supposed to be a high performance client so it can speed up the results returning.

Maye give it a whirl on my single core to see what happens ;)

Brucifer
12-05-2006, 04:00 AM
I'm looking at approx 23 hours to complete the unit. That will happen about ten minutes from now. :)

edit: And the result was successfully sent to the server. :) So now to wait for the stats to show.