PDA

View Full Version : XLab

gatekeeper53
12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
OK we're behind 1st by 2,507,606 points does anyone else want to be FIRST? I have a few weeks and if need be I'll build a few more machines. Let's go for it.

NeoGen
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Are the workunits still as they used to be? 10 mins independent of the machine you throw at it?
If so, then it's profitable to put old machines on it and leave the powerful ones on crunch intensive projects.

Nflight
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
What I noticed on my two machines was that my faster machine was getting slower times then the slow machine was. Can anyone figure that out?

If this is true then the slower machines would be better on this project!

10 minute work units for some, mine were 9:52 for the slow machine and 9:56 for the fast machine. :dontknow:

Scooter
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
i got one that ill put on it!!!

Lagu
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I run that project on both my AMD´s and got this results:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 1 GB RAM run BRM1371169 at 4,58 min.
AMD Athlon 1001 Mhz 640 MB RAM run BRM1329129 at 3,47 min.

Claimed credits are depending of the speed of the computer and 3.200+ has better Benchmark results.

At the same time I run EoN on both.

My slowest computer is the Intel but it takes over 2 hour each using this computer.:icon_eek:

Strongbow
12-08-2006, 05:33 AM
If this is true then the slower machines would be better on this project!

No no nooo!!! :icon_eek: ...don't do it! the faster the machine the more calculations it does during the timeframe, the more points it gets granted!

Have a look at a couple of mine...

Opteron fairly fast box...
http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/show_host_detail.php?hostid=32135

Intel, dog slow box...
http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/show_host_detail.php?hostid=31745

Throw your fastest machines on it! ...in fact scrub that, throw all your machines on it! :icon_cool:

Beerknurd
12-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Yea, faster computers get more credit. Even though they take the same amount of time on any PC...

Bye the way... I'm riding the XtremLab train till 200,000... Who's with me???

Nflight
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey I have had enough of the ABC thing, and I have rejoined the Train! I can see myself at 100,000 at least maybe more!

Watch out world here I come.... :2gunsfiring_v1:

My numbers should start appearing with in 3 hours of this writing. :blob3:

Beerknurd
12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! First Place!!! I'll keep it warm for you Blackheath... :lol:

gatekeeper53
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
:wav: Go! BEER Go! :wav:
But hang on if PoorBoy decides to join us on this project too, he's at over 600,000 lol

Nflight
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I invited PoorBoy to join us and celebrate some holiday cheer with the great conversation and festivities.

"Beer" Congratulations, although it may be short lived with Vaughan returning sometime in the near future. Doomeva will get paddled and sent to bed for losing first place!

I have retaken my position at 5th place for the time being, I may end up in 4th over all till Terry steam rolls me, But hey, It feels just like old times at Tanpaku. Ah the memories.!.!.!.!

Ah Christmas Cheer: http://badaboo.free.fr/merryxmas.swf Audio needs to be on, Sorry Lagu, the graphics are nice too. Kind of sounds like Tony Bennett?

Lagu
12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanh you Nflight for your concideration. However I haven´t been deaf the whole life. I lost little of my hearing first when I had been 4,5 year old. from 0-4,5 year I had heard many Christmas songs and psalms and the melody lives in my head. I got deaf when I was 13 year.
But you are right, never songs I cant hear or associate to but I´m glad yet. If my friends is happy am is too. :icon_biggrin:

Evil-Dragon
12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
i sometimes wonder about my own hearing. I am slightly weak in my right ear due to listening to music too loud. Mind you, it has bonuses of cutting out fan noise from my computers at night (most people don't understand how i can sleep with 3 computers and it's fans running all night!)

But then hearing loss is never a good thing. As long as it doesn't get any worse then i am happy.

Steve Lux
12-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Hearing loss has been known to be a blessing for married men.

vaughan
12-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Congratulations Beerknurd on taking over as #1.

I'm switching back to Riesel Sieve now. :icon_wink:

Nflight
12-09-2006, 01:13 AM
We have a new member to the XtremLab Team! Please Welcome a former AMD User Poorboy who will loan his array of work horses to assist us in moving upward, just a little bit farther up the ranks, just a little bit quicker.

As I remember my 2 workhorses kick out about 3,000 points a day on this project, If only Hendrick over at ABC could have figured that points really do matter. Never mind I found out the project has been down most of the day since most of us left.

Lets crunch our way past these other teams and take first place! :blob3:

gatekeeper53
12-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Welcome PB! With what you bring with you we stand to be in 3rd place by morning. At the moment it should give us 997,994.

NeoGen
12-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Welcome PB! With what you bring with you we stand to be in 3rd place by morning. At the moment it should give us 997,994.
I'm afraid not gatekeeper...:icon_confused: In Boinc projects, teams credits are not the sum of their members credits.

Nflight
12-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately that is reluctant dreaming GateKeeper53, you see it is only what he crunches from the day he joins us. PoorBoy does not add those points he already has acquired in the past when he joins. It was wishful thinking. This also stands true for if anyone of us would leave the nest and move to another Team Effort, we can't take our already crunched Credits with us, they stay here with the team.

:blob3:

gatekeeper53
12-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the info. That only seems fair. Still a big welcome PB! You are an asset wherever and whatever you choose to crunch, I'm glad it's with us.

Beerknurd
12-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Well... I was 1st place for almost a day... :lol:

Warm welcome PoorBoy!!!

Nflight
12-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I was doing some digging on the XtremLab web site and found something I don't know what it is? Please help in explaining just what this thing is!

ON this link of Download BOINC Add on software on their web site: http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/download_network.php
Located at the very bottom, is a selection of Web Application Software downloads, The first one listed for me includes something called a Boinc User statistics widget!

What in God's name is a >> Widget << ??? and who ever heard of a file with .widget as the post fix?:icon_confused:

Strongbow
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
It's a Yahoo widget, all the Boinc ones are nothing special at the mo' although the BoincMunday one is quite cute!

Just little apps that run in the background and can be immediately called forward for a quick overview/summary - typical widgets are for the daily weather, world clocks etc...

Nflight
12-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the explaination. I was scanning over the Stats this Saturday Afternoon and found that someone is hosting a party of sorts.
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allusers.php?proj=xtrem&orderby=d0&direction=DESC

6 Members of the AMD User's team are in the top 10.

Terry
Blackheath
Beerknurd
Nflight
PoorBoy
VaughanWhile the biggest mover is Scooter with a jump of 250 places so far.
B Johansson
Spikey Rich
Velociraptor
Evil Dragon round out the effort towards first place!

Beerknurd
12-09-2006, 08:55 PM
I love it when we all come together on a project and whoop some butt...

gatekeeper53
12-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Maybe just for fun we should all attack the next Aussie attack. lol Would sure give whatever project it happens to be a boost. On second thought it might give them a nightmare.

Nflight
12-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Maybe just for fun we should all attack the next Aussie attack. lol Would sure give whatever project it happens to be a boost. On second thought it might give them a nightmare.

The Project lead advisor would have to be notified that two teams are going to take some huge Work Units in say a two week period of time.. This would of course increase bandwidth, spin those servers HDD off there systems. And probably cause some major headaches overall.

Would be nice to work together on a project though, would show great strengths at team work across the imaginary boundary's. A true devotion in the crunching world.

Two Teams One Purpose => Results :blob3:

spikey_richie
12-10-2006, 05:59 AM
What in God's name is a >> Widget << ??? and who ever heard of a file with .widget as the post fix?:icon_confused:

widgets.yahoo.com - it used to be called Konfabulator until Yahoo! sucked them up

I have some running like weather, memory & cpu usage, wireless signal etc.

Nflight
12-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Yesterdays Stats Reported as below: December 9th we completed work units with a total of 27,675 points.
These AMD users crunching members stayed the same in rank or improved:

PoorBoy - stayed the same
Beerknurd - Improved by 2
Vaughan - Improved by 1
Blackheath - Improved by 1
Nflight - Improved by 4
Terry - Improved by 56
Velociraptor - Improved by 21
Boogeymanmunster - Improved by 2
spikey_richey - Improved by 9
Scooter - Improved by 382Thanks go out to everyone who made an effort to the whole picture and a tremendous improvement in our stats, Great Job everyone!

Nflight
12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Long time ago in another project I was leading someone for some period of time when suddenly a battalion of soldiers came hurdling past me with a thunderous roar. Off in the distance say about 5 places behind me there is that same feeling of here come the troops! I see in the distance just one vehicle in the lead, what I have been noticing is that there is more dust then just one vehicle can produce so I am figuring at least (4) Duece and a halfs, a half track, one oshkosh 10 wheeler, two chinooks (I can see there blades swirling up the dust) and enough soldiers doing double time to my location.

I can't outrun you Gatekeeper53 but, I can duck when you do the flyby since I have no toothbrush to get the dust off my teeth when I smile as you pass me!

Keep rocking, we are all on the same side, keep climbing! :blob3:

gatekeeper53
12-10-2006, 03:30 PM
LMAO NF if you don't have brown eyes it must be that your a quart low.

Nflight
12-11-2006, 02:12 AM
I am going to work on XtremLab with Rocketship and Wildcat is going to work on Proteins@home, while there is work available I might as well search for cures.

ON a side note a friend from my past who I lost contact with some years back, I found out contracted a severe case of Diabetes. He was diagnosed just 2 years ago, and past away recently from complications. :icon_cry: He made his 48th birthday and passed the next day. As you can tell when something like this occurs I feel empowered to help. Yes I am saddened and a little worried, I spoke recently of my existence in the realm of clothes not fitting well. A sudden change in my lifestyle must occur for me to exist past his time barrier. I do not want to become disabled by this crippling disease, a change is needed. I am not diabetic, nor have any symptoms,, thank god!

Nflight
12-12-2006, 01:43 AM
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/teams.php?sort=TC&project=xtrm Could this really be true, are we that good, have we just spanked the other teams? :blob3:

Beerknurd
12-12-2006, 04:08 AM
What is our main goal in this project?? What place are we trying to get??

Per Free-DC stats, It will take 5.2 months to reach 1st place if nothing else changes...

PoorBoy
12-12-2006, 09:19 AM
What is our main goal in this project?? What place are we trying to get??

Per Free-DC stats, It will take 5.2 months to reach 1st place if nothing else changes...

I wouldn't get to excited about ever reaching 1'st place guy's. I was on the BOINC Hull Team for awhile just @ this Project, but due to a conflict in how they were getting their Credit I dropped off the Team. I think you'll find if the AMD Users Team ever get even remotely close to threatening them for 1'st Place their Credits Per Day will rise to astronomical levels to hold on to it.

Unless your willing to use the same Tatic's that they use there's no way the Team will ever catch them ...

Nflight
12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Unless your willing to use the same Tactic's that they use there's no way the Team will ever catch them ... And we all know what that is, They cheat! We will either win by normal means or remove our computers and distance ourselves from Cheaters. At least thats how I feel.

velociraptor
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
what is meant by they are "cheating"?????
in which way are they cheating????

NeoGen
12-12-2006, 07:48 PM
what is meant by they are "cheating"?????
in which way are they cheating????
I'm not into the subject much, but I have a feeling that it has to do with huge claims per workunit? I think this is one of those "you-get-what-you-claim" kind of projects...

PoorBoy
12-12-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm not into the subject much, but I have a feeling that it has to do with huge claims per workunit? I think this is one of those "you-get-what-you-claim" kind of projects...

You hit the Nail on the Head NeoGen, a PIII 450 can get as much Credit at the XLab Project as a X2 4800 or a CD2 X6800EE can get. Lots of the Participants learned that a long time ago and have piled up the Credits ever since. The WU's only last for 10 min's no matter what you are running and you get what you claim.

I brought the matter up to the Dev's a long time ago when I had 1'st Place at the project but they never even replied to my inquiry. I stopped running the Project for a long time after that & only run a limited amount now. It's just another QMC Project IMO ... :icon_rolleyes:

Nflight
12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Currently everyone is doing a great job here on XtremLab. But, I want to add that although this project does help the whole system of Boinc Perform better. It lacks any real medical benefit, so I am asking with a heart of gold if I could request one system from each of the dedicated crunchers here on Project XtremLAb to be brought over to the Proteinsathome Projecct.

By the time you read this message the team will be in 3rd place or close to it, If by chance you felt dueling at Tanpaku was worth the effort to save a few lives and push the project forward. Then yes this endeavor will also do some good for the medical field as well. I hope to see a few crunchers join the Proteinsathome Project and help make a more beneficial 1st place in a shorter period of time then the XtremLab 4 month time table.

At this rate of current increase we can hit 1st place by the end of this year 2006 and return full strength to XtremLab if you would like ! :blob3: