PDA

View Full Version : PrimeGrid description update

jmblazek
12-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Just wanted to update the description of PrimeGrid. It is no longer "trying to recover messages encoded with the md5 algorithm." The old description is a bit out-dated.

From the PrimeGrid (PG) home page:

PrimeGrid is currently running two sub-projects:

* Primegen: generating a public sequential prime number database.
* Twin Prime Search (testing): searching for large twin primes of the form k*2n + 1 and k*2n - 1.

PrimeGrid is running PerlBOINC server software. PerlBOINC is an attempt to implement BOINC server system in Perl programming language.

Twin Prime Search (TPS) was added late November. The n they have chosen guarantees that when it finds a twin prime, it will be a RECORD. So far so good...PG TPS has already tested more k's in 3 weeks than the whole project did in the last 6 months (it was started in April 2006). Still, PG TPS has a very small user base.

Rytis, the creator of PrimeGrid, is also the creator of the PerlBOINC software. From the Riesel Sieve (RS) donation page: "He has provided us with numerous hours of tech support, assistance with our wrapper, and spent the time creating PerlBOINC - help us say Thank You to him!"

Why not say thank you by slipping a few cycles over to PG. Even better, enable test applications through the project preferences page and exclusively run TPS LLR...just like RS LLR.

Currently AMD Users is #1 at RS and #6 at PG. As far as I can tell, Virux-X is running neck and neck as the top PG TPS producer. We could use some more heavy hitters.

p.s. If PG TPS can have a sustained rate of 1G a week (~143M/day), we'd have an 85% chance of finding the RECORD twin prime within 6 months. Right now PG TPS is doing about 150M a week. See this post in the TPS forum: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=94020&postcount=11

Thanks for your help.

NeoGen
12-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks jmblazek! :)

With so many projects out there (60+) it gets difficult to keep track of everything. I'm sure Jeff or Vaughan (our admins) will take care of updating the description when they see this post.

vaughan
12-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks JMBlazek, modifications have been made.

The new Twin Prime Search work units are very quick to process on my P4s. :icon_wink:

PoorBoy
12-17-2006, 01:10 PM
We're having a mini heat wave here today and my PC's are all running too hot with the Protein WU's so I switched a lot of them over to Prime Grid for today anyway where they run 5c to 10c cooler ...

jmblazek
12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
WOW! That was quick. Thanks...every little bit helps.

Yes, the WUs are very quick...ranging from 1 to 4 minutes depending on CPU.

p.s. I downloaded pi-segment and am running that as well.

p.p.s.
We could use some more heavy hitters.
Y'all definitely are some "heavy hitters!"

Lagu
12-17-2006, 06:34 PM
jmblazek!

Welcome to AMDusers forums and thank you for joining PI Segment and for your updates. Feel free ask us about our forums or projects as we run. We run alot af them and every helping hand (read computers) is appreciated.

Tell us about our computer/computers and chare your experience to us other if you feel for it.

Again, very welcome:icon_santa: