PDA

View Full Version : We dropped a position in OGR :(

Brucifer
12-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Bummer indeed.

Nflight
12-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Ouch, That is another project I haven't tried yet. Got tired of the BOINC projects so I am whistling my way through the non-boinc projects. Only thing is I can only do so much with just two systems!

Brucifer
12-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, there are a lot of projects out there, both boinc and non-boinc. I also like multiple projects, and I also have friends scattered around many teams in the distributed computing world. So what do I do... I just put some effort on this one for a while then another one, and hop around a team or two or three. :) Might not exactly be the orthodox way that others might like, but it keeps me occupied and allows me to participate in many things. Heh heh

But if teams want to place decently in the DC-Vault standings, they do have to put some effort into the non-boinc projects too as they are also figured into the overall scoring and placement.

One thing I do like about OGR though is that I can load up a few days work and not have to worry about running out of work if there is an internet outtage somewhere between me and them, or if my local ISP connections have problems, or the gamers clog the line after school, etc., etc. It also works real well for sneaker net, or for systems that cannot be connected to the internet or any network for that matter.

But anyway, just the ramblings of a rabid old fart here........ :) The real object is to crunch whatever makes you happy. :)

Nflight
12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I like Ramblings, they give insight to the nuances most of us newbies and even after trying almost 25 projects I still consider myself a newbie! These Ramblings come from people who have been around other facets of projects I have not yet had the time or push to participate it. I welcome the knowledge you expell, variations on a theme you might want to call it. I have been reading a lot of old forum posts and find yours Brucifier most intriquing in learning what you will share with the rest of us new learners. Thank you for you Help and Insight!

Brucifer
12-18-2006, 07:36 PM
You are a kind soul Nflight. :) Hopefully in tonights run we will get the lost position back. I guess I really need to knock off a few other fun things for a while and just concentrate on OGR and trying to get us up a few more notches. The reality is that I doubt we will ever really be a power house in the OGR/RC5 stuff as we just don't have any of the people with access to massive numbers of computers like a few do that belong to ARS or FDC for instance.

DPC is really an interesting team though. Just massive numbers of members, so they are an excellent example of what can be accomplished by large numbers of members running small numbers of computers.

The other thing that is interesting is what teams *aren't* worried about playing the DC-Vault game.

NeoGen
12-18-2006, 11:22 PM
The other thing that is interesting is what teams *aren't* worried about playing the DC-Vault game.
I've been keeping track of the DC-Vault month after month (I do the stats for the newsletter), and the thing that makes me sad is that their rules are so uptight that they haven't accepted a new project in months. (And I've lost count of how many new projects have started in the last 6 months.) They only track about half the known DC projects, and that can't represent any team's real computing power.
I've started tracking the DCR Teams stats too on the newsletter now and am quite happy that bok has been keeping up with all the new projects coming in. We are ranked 3rd there too, but making progress.

Brucifer
12-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Makes one wonder "why" the new projects aren't showing up on the DCV then....

Maybe everyone should be playing the DCR stats thing that Bok has instead. I don't know though, at times I just get a bit tired of it all anyway. As time goes buy I just get moved to crunch stuff only for the projects that I care about.

Nflight
12-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Total and true dedication ==> Brucifier
A very good thing to have someone like yourself with the stamina to just keep going no matter how monotaneous it all seems to get. Well Done Brucifier...

Brucifer
12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
LOL Let's not get too carried away in this... I I may walk on water, but it's only very slowly.... ROFLMAO

On the serious side, there are a lot of super dedicated people out there crunching. It is a little easier for me to do a few things as I can notice the impact more readily. However I feel that the true hero's are the ones with a system or two that continue to stick to their guns and crunch away. There are *lots* of them out there too, and they make up the bulk of the crunching except for a very few of the people that have access to huge numbers of corporate computers. And I seem to always point at DPC as an example of this, but really we only have to look at AMD-Users to see it. We have a lot of members that crunch on many projects. Out of the total, there are only a few of us windbags that keep posting on the forums. A lot of the members are hardly ever heard from -- unfortunately. But they keep the teams pointage up in the various projects.

gatekeeper53
12-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Very well said Bruce!

NVM
12-21-2006, 02:45 AM
i've decided to give you guys a bit of help...

Brucifer
12-21-2006, 05:18 AM
well crapolina.... I guess I uploaded my stuff a little late today and it din't make the nightly stats run. So it will be a double dumper tomorrow then.

Daylight savings time thing...... my brain hasn't adjusted.

vaughan
12-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Welcome Mike. Happy to have you crunchin' with us. :icon_thumright:

Nflight
12-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Daylight savings time thing...... my brain hasn't adjusted.

That was October, this is late December!

News Flash: NASA reports strange objects circling the Planet with in sight of Space Shuttle, object appears to be large brain cell matter, Must belong to DC Crunching Fanatic Brucifier who crunches for the AMD users Team Effort, reason for identified so quickly there is a time stamp on the Brain Matter! October 20, 2006.

I am just pulling your leg there Brucifier, don't take offense to my humor, I can withdraw this statement at your request. :icon_lol::sad5:

Ototero
12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks NVM, all help is welcome.

Watch out for my big dump tomorrow.

drezha
12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
OGR...Never run that one. Though it's on the Dnet platform which IMHO is 250% better than BOINC...

How long does a WU take? Varies IIRC?

Ototero
12-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I can get thru between 25 and 100 a day.

Nflight
12-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I turned off the BOINC project Manager.

So now I am going to focus all my strengths on the Non-Boinc World for a time. Something new, something different, But in reality something helpful, for the team needs people to branch out and do good work across all our projects.

OGR25 is one of those I want to try. :icon_rolleyes:

NVM
12-23-2006, 03:24 PM
jebus. dnet stats are awol again. :rolleyes: oh well, all points will show up when they come back.

edit: ok, several hours later now and i see the official DNET stats have changed. strange.

Ototero
12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, stats at last.

NVM
12-25-2006, 12:27 AM
up to position #192 today. keep'em coming....

:wav:

Brucifer
12-25-2006, 04:40 AM
That was October, this is late December!
I am just pulling your leg there Brucifier, don't take offense to my humor, I can withdraw this statement at your request. :icon_lol::sad5:

ah yes.... there is a bit of a time lag involved. The problem involves those things called keyboard all-nighters... and one isn't quite on the ball even though one thinks at the time they are. :) For some strange reason I was thinking I had another hour to get stuff turned in that day when I really didn't. ???? Oh well..... like the bumper stickers say... :icon_wink:

Should get a few ogr stats units put in on the next stats run. Not too many though. I've been messing with a couple other projects doing timing runs, etc.

Gonna be a few day dry spell though for the next one as we need 134083 points to displace the next team assuming they continue to do nothing.

Ototero
12-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice dumps you guys, especially Mike. You can keep that up for as long as you like :icon_wink:

:icon_santa::icon_santa::icon_santa:

NVM
12-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Nice dumps you guys, especially Mike.

if you go look at Brucifer's submission history, you'll see he did the major dumping over the last week. the stats were down during that time so they were'nt shown on the team page.

Ototero
12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I see what you mean Mike, Bruce's dump today awesome. Go take a look in the stats.

Brucifer
12-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm going to be slowing down on this effort while I spend more time on d2ol.

NVM
12-27-2006, 11:39 PM
hmmm, then i will be going now. laterz

NVM
01-29-2007, 02:18 AM
i'm closing in on 10th position...*evil laugh here*

:icon_twisted:

Brucifer
01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
ya, I've moved a couple back here too since they have shifted over to sars from avian flu on d2ol.