PDA

View Full Version : Help beat the pandemic

Brucifer
12-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I have been taking a little side trip on and off for the past week or so messing with both D2OL and TSC, doing some timing runs, both here and on ARS Technica's team.

D2OL is getting pretty heavy into the SARS and the deadly strain of the bird flu virus. So from the viewpoint of something being near at hand and possibly having a huge impact on our lives in the coming decade, this project is very much a bleeding edge thing in our current lives. I see in the news this morning that a lady died in Egypt fron the strain, and two other members of the extended family that all lived together were also sick with the flu. If you have been following the evolving flu thing around the planet the past few years you've undoubtedly noticed that it is slowly spreading... it isn't going away.

My purpose is to drum up a little effort on this project for the AMD_Users team. I know that many people were really turned off (including myself) when they zeroed out the stats. However the new team working on this project appears to be totally sincere in their efforts and making progress, as well as working at trying to get a new client out this coming year some time.

My main thrust this past year has been with PSP sieving and OGR. I am looking hard at putting much much more effort into D2OL. I would prefer doing the crunching here if I could have some help with others working at this as a team effort for this year. Granted there are many very worthwhile efforts out there in the boinc and non-boinc communities, but none of them I feel has the quite the very real possible immediacy that could be upon us as another flu pandemic.

If we could get something going here I'd stay here and crunch for this team. If not, then I would lmost likely crunch with the ARS people in the d2ol effort.

Thoughts, comments?????

Ototero
12-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Bruce, I've joined you on D2OL. Avian Flu is worth the effort. Who amongst us doesn't eat chicken?

Brucifer
12-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Bruce, I've joined you on D2OL. Avian Flu is worth the effort. Who amongst us doesn't eat chicken?

Not too many I'd imagine, unless they happen to be a true vegetarian. Very glad to see you join this effort. :) Thank you. Bye the bye, the yota84 is me.

Steve Lux
12-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd help, be more than happy to, if FreeDC wasn't pushing us so hard in Proteins.

Scooter
12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
ill help too...and i was wondering about that yota84 name when i saw it pop up on TSC...mystery solved

Brucifer
12-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Well I went and changed it to Brucifer, and the stats showed a negative, (the history Bok's stats save), so I changed it back to Yota84 so that the true count shows. Sigh. Just run it up another 4100 points and all wil be well.... :)

Good to see you joining in Scooter!!

And not to forget that Kieth has been banging away on this for some time. :)

Scooter
12-27-2006, 02:33 AM
ok I have 2 computers up and running on D2OL and one running on TSC!!!

Opteron
12-27-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm new here but I could'nt agree more on your thought so I joined your D2OL team and as soon as I send this my wifes computer will be joining as well...

Keith75
12-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I have an older machine that no one ever uses crunching away on this project. Slowly but surely. ;) I think a lot of people got mad after they had several months of stats problems after the changeover to phase two or whatever it was.

Boy do I love chicken!!!!!!!!

Keith

shnal
12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I just switched from SOB to D2OL. Hope this helps a little in persuading you to crunch with AMD Users!

LeBo
12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Very worthy cause, I'll give it a shot also.

Brucifer
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I just climbed out of my snare, to make my morning d2ol dump, took a look at the stats was was really surprised to see more points popping up on the stats screen from multiple members in addition to a new team member!!!! Really really glad to see you all. This is really going to look good for the team on the stats pages and hopefully we can make a dent in the effort needed by the project in the Avian Flu Virus effort!

And of course not to forget that it won't hurt us in the DC Vault score either. :)

And any others out there that could just donate half a day's machine time a week is most welcome. I've heard people say that they are just one or two systems and can't influence much..... don't even think that. Go look at the stats in multiple projects for Dutch Power Cows. That team is the perfect example of what a very large group of members with limited resources can do. :)

Brucifer
12-28-2006, 04:03 AM
We moved past Team Anandtech today. :) heh heh heh :)

Brucifer
12-28-2006, 04:05 AM
I just switched from SOB to D2OL. Hope this helps a little in persuading you to crunch with AMD Users!

Hey we just keep on crunching! :)

Jeff
12-28-2006, 04:07 AM
www.sonystyle.com

NeoGen
12-28-2006, 06:50 AM
www.sonystyle.com (http://www.sonystyle.com)
If you weren't the website administrator I'd say you were spamming Jeff... :icon_lol:

Brucifer
12-28-2006, 04:14 PM
yep..... like maybe his p/w has been compromised??? I really can't imagine that he would just pop that in totally out of the blue when it had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. ????

PcManiac
12-28-2006, 05:41 PM
That is a weird post, lol. Well, I am going to join in too!

Brucifer
12-28-2006, 08:15 PM
That is a weird post, lol. Well, I am going to join in too!

Hey!! :) Really glad to see you joi in! And glad also to see that Lagu posted some points today also!! :) And if I'm missing anyone jump right in here and say so!! :)

PcManiac
12-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Woohoo! I am up to 340 whatevers! ... maybe I'll get my server running this too! :d
:edit: oh yeah, this is my first non-BOINC project to ever try, so it is pretty interesting!

Jeff
12-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Sorry!, I was testing URL colors.

Everythingis good!

PcManiac
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry!, I was testing URL colors.

Everythingis good!

Lol, nice, keep up the random posts! :icon_mrgreen::icon_razz:

Brucifer
12-29-2006, 04:17 PM
I see that daddygeek and moderna have returned results for today!! :) And welcome aboard to a new member, strongbow, who also returned results for today. that makes ten of us contributing to the cause now. About 10,000 points and we will roll over a Taiwanese team on our worthy effort here! :)

Opteron
12-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey!! :) Really glad to see you joi in! And glad also to see that Lagu posted some points today also!! :) And if I'm missing anyone jump right in here and say so!! :)

You said to say so if any-1 was forgot... Well, to be fair I think you were referring to me @ 1 point when you said a new member but you know what they say about assumptions... :icon_mrgreen:

Lagu
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Brucifer, I got so inspired of all members as began run D2OL and I have run it before but when they zeroed the stats I stopped run it. Instead I have run TSC a little while. Yesterday evening I uploaded 100 WU´s and stopped the connection. Lather today when I com home my AMD64 3.200+ had run out of work and had got idle for how long I don’t know. I remember this CPU is capable crunch between 120-140 tasks per 24 hours. It should be 2,400 – 2800 Conformers/24 hours.:) :icon_wink:

The computer is really fast:

Candidates
Average Dock Time: 7,47 min
Average per day: 0,219

Processed:
Average Dock Time: 23,351 sec
Average Per Day: 4,378
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Our nearest concurrent is Chihlee@TAIWAN. Check out how we are doing compared to them:

Name: AMDusers

Candidates: 121,052

Avg. Dock Time: 17,56 min

Avg. Per Day: 71,291

Past Week: 13,867

Conformers

Processed: 2,421,040

Average Dock Time: 53,836 sec

Avg. Per Day: 1,425,819

Past Week: 277,340

Today: 61,000

Name: Chihlee@TAIWAN (http://app.d2ol.com/stats/teamProfile.jsp?id=528#)

Candidates:130,269

Avg. Dock Time: 16,56 min

Avg. Per Day: 99,518

Past Week: 2,476

Today: 352

Conformers: 2,605,380

Avg. Dock Time 50,828 sec

Avg. Per Day: 1,990,359

Past week: 49,520

Today: 7,040

Brucifer
12-29-2006, 10:54 PM
You said to say so if any-1 was forgot... Well, to be fair I think you were referring to me @ 1 point when you said a new member but you know what they say about assumptions... :icon_mrgreen:

LOL yes, you were the new one that day! :) Sorry, I should have spelled it out!

And I see thar bookiboo and BlackAdder1 have also uploaded some results!! So our group is growing. :)

Brucifer
12-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Brucifer, I got so inspired of all members as began run D2OL and I have run it before but when they zeroed the stats I stopped run it. Instead I have run TSC a little while. Yesterday evening I uploaded 100 WU´s and stopped the connection. Lather today when I com home my AMD64 3.200+ had run out of work and had got idle for how long I don’t know. I remember this CPU is capable crunch between 120-140 tasks per 24 hours. It should be 2,400 – 2800 Conformers/24 hours.:) :icon_wink:

Yeah, I hear you on the zeroing out the stats issue Lagu. That kept me from crunching again for quite a while also. However they really are working on some very "now" medical issues that have the possibliity of eclipsing most other medical concerns if the flu does mutate further. So that got me past the old points thing, and concerned about the flu. And while we may not finad any magic answers, we may just do that. Hard to tell. But at any rate at least we are trying to do something to improve things for humanity which sure beats sitting around doing nothing! :)

I think that the group running the project now is also aware that while the "science" is the important thing, that there are a lot of people donating machine time that view the stats accumulation as an added incentive for crunching. I also hear rumblings of a new client in the not too distant future. So I think they are trying to make improvements. Myself, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Scooter
12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
well i just finished upgrading my 2600+ sempron to a 3400+ athlon 64 and it seem to be turning out D2OL a whole lot faster!!!!!!!!

Brucifer
12-30-2006, 04:54 AM
And greetings to BobCat13. :)

Nflight
12-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Yes folks you are showing the world AMD USERS is not dead in this project!

D20L Stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=d2olnew&orderby=d0&direction=DESC)

We are number #1 for December 30 2006, at least in this point of view!

Go Team Go :wav::blob3:

P.S. I am working on another non-boinc project at this time with Ototero, I may just join you if my points are lost for any reason.

vaughan
12-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Team MacNN have some detailed stats (http://teamstats.macnn.com/d2ol/stats.php?TID=528&page=s5) for D2OL

and also

Team Norway's D2OL stats are useful viewing too (http://tn-d2ol-stats.homeip.net/allteams)

Brucifer
01-01-2007, 05:36 PM
we are 2,636 points away from moving up a notch. :) They are averaging 500 points a day, so we are most likely looking at the day after tomorrow for moving up. :icon_mrgreen:

edit: And welcome to Bjohansson. :)

B Johansson
01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks Brucifer!

Lagu
01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Brucifer, I think you have done at least 90 % of all works since you began run D2OL and I know you use Linux. Have you Linux on all your computers? They seem to perform well.
You will have credit for your work as will lead us forward. Well done!:)

I have put my Intel Core2 Duo to that project as a test and use the second core to MoneyBee and it seems to go well. Both projects use a lot of recourses.

My AMD Athlon 1001 MHz runs TSC because I have 31 WU´s since I last run it but every step takes minimum 1,30 minutes each. It is a slow computer. I think I will empty the queue and then I concentrate on another project.

Brucifer
01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
@Lagu --
Yes, all my crunchers run linux, the AMD-64 X2's run opensuse-64, and the others run slackware. I have one that runs Mepis which I also use for a desktop.

I have been putting some heavy resources in to the D2OL project for since I started running the yota84 account. As I mentioned in another post, I intend to put major effort into d2ol this year, but it will not be my only effort. So don't expect to see a couple thousand points a day throughout the year. :) I have to put effort into ogr to maintain my project position there, or it slips behind. I would like to see the team move up a few spots in the d2ol project. However, as with myself, I don't expect to see everyone crunch only d2ol, cause I know people have other stuff they like. My only thought in all this was to try and get as many team members as possible putting some points into the effort. This helps the team in the positon, but it also evens out the load on others so more people can play with more stuff. Myself and some others just think that it is a worthwhile project due to the possible impact on the human race.

I think it's good that you have your C2D split doing a couple of things. I also think you are correct in putting your slower system on a project that is more capable of utilizing it's resources.

I do think that it is easier for people to contribute to a project if they don't try to run only that project, cause it is very hard to remain true to that thought... at least for me it is! LOL But by putting limited resources on the project, it leaves other systems free for other projects, so the person doesn't get bored, and can also participate in races, stampedes, or other team efforts. :)

Lagu
01-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, it is a good experience for other members as always run Boinc as they can experience the charm run project with their own client. Boinc is not always the best and funniest way may I say.

I like non Boinc project more than clean Boinc project. There are seldom any issues when it comes to points. We earn what we is allowed and there is not any optimised client as other can use. We are in the same boat so to say.

On my first day running D2OL I was crunching Anthrax, Smallpox, Sars II, III and IV and Malaria. Since then I only got Sars-files. Any as have this experience. :icon_wink:

Brucifer
01-02-2007, 12:18 AM
I've noticed the same thing. Mainly what I've been seeing lately is Sars and H5N1, but other stuff comes thorugh too. I think it just boils down to whatever they have the server loaded up with when you connect for new stuff.

Lagu
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Days for us to overtaken these teams:

Team ARP
Days to overtake 1,19

Team Ninja
Days to overtake 5,0

Team Ghepsolo, Gulu & Yupsilon ce la facciamo team
Days to overtake: 9,49

Team OCDistributed
Days to overtake 14,12

Guys, can and will you run D2OL and stomp them all? If we do that our team will decrease our rank from 15 to 11 place.:)

Brucifer
01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
You sure are a *greedy* soul aren't you!!! :) Here we already pass one team today and you're talking about passing 3 more. :icon_razz: And now you want to pick on ARP -- the *old* people???? And here I am, an old people :sad5: now you are making me feel bad................................... :(

okay, now I feel better! :) Lets crunch! :)

Opteron
01-04-2007, 03:41 AM
No need to flash your lights "Lagu" just wave as you pass... :)

Brucifer
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
There you go Lagu..... we just passed Team ARP. :)

Lagu
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Goood, wery nice. Go on team and we will beat som more teams:)

Lagu
01-04-2007, 08:50 PM
You sure are a *greedy* soul aren't you!!! :) Here we already pass one team today and you're talking about passing 3 more. :icon_razz: And now you want to pick on ARP -- the *old* people???? And here I am, an old people :sad5: now you are making me feel bad................................... :(

okay, now I feel better! :) Lets crunch! :)

Yes I´m.:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Steve Lux
01-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Protiens hiccuped and I ran out of 5 days worth of work, so I joined D2OL.

Opteron
01-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Thank you Mr Lux, we need the help...

Steve Lux
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Can we run this application twice to fire up both processors? My dual core system is only averaging 48% (1 core).

Lagu
01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Steve Lux, I don´t think you can run 2 instances because the client not is created for that. I myself run D2OL on one core and MoneyBee on the second and it works well. Both use recources a lot.:) Test MoneyBee if you feel for it. You can download and start and then forgot it.
How to join can you read in the topic "D2OL" but I´m afraid you vill fail because I don´t got any contact to their homepage. Right now I run it as a screensaver on my old intel and will wait and see if it can upload the Net or if it fails. I must wait 32 minutes.

Brucifer
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
If you are running linux, just create another directory, copy all the stuff (including subdirectories) into it, and then fire it off. Then take it off-line (to) and stop the engine (te) and then flush all the tasks (ft), and you might have to try several times to get the tasks flushed. Once it flushes, then start the engine (te) and put it back on-line (to), and it will download new work units. I'm running two instances on two dual cores.

As for windows, who knows. Don't mess with it myself.

edit: Also gents, I'm backing off on the number of systems running. My electric bill for the past 30 days like to give the wife a massive one. Actually they have been doing that for a while. But lets just say I pushed it a little too far...

Steve Lux
01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I tried to run two instances on the same Windows system, but it doesn't work.

I have Protiens back up and running on the other core now. I had to tell Boinc to only run on one processor though.

NVM
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
edit: Also gents, I'm backing off on the number of systems running. My electric bill for the past 30 days like to give the wife a massive one. Actually they have been doing that for a while. But lets just say I pushed it a little too far...

well, i'm not too happy with this statement. a few weeks ago i decided to help you with your DNET push, and you changed projects shortly after that. then, you're onto D2OL and asking people here to help you or you'll crunch with another team, and now you'll be backing off of this project. not too happy at all with this.

Brucifer
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Doesn't really matter whether you are happy with it or not, that's the way it is. I never asked you to crunch OGR, I've crunched OGR here by myslef or with two or three others. You crunched ogr on your own.

As for asking others to crunch on d2ol, yep I did. And some other crunched, which was and is kind of them. However it was for the team, not me, as the points go for the team. The team picked up a few positions.

But you need to keep in mind that people do with their equipment and money as they see fit within their circumstances, which is absolutely none of your concern. Just cause things don't work out the way you want them isn't anyone's problem but yours.

NVM
01-06-2007, 03:41 AM
with attitude like that, this is not the place for me. :rolleyes:

Opteron
01-06-2007, 04:22 AM
I hope you don't go we need all the help we can get...

Ototero
01-06-2007, 10:13 AM
You can stay, I like having non-boincers around.

Steve Lux
01-06-2007, 04:33 PM
To me; asking for help in a project only highlights a team goal. Whether I participate or not, or for how long depends on how valid I think the project is. I though Proteins@home was a valid project, but it has basically been deserted lately, so I'll do D2OL and Proteins for a while.

Both projects are worthy of my crunching capacity.

Lagu
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
NVM

I understand you but think of us other. You are a member as have done much good for AMDusers. Stay with us as long you want. Remember, no one has complained upon you. We can recon with a few setbacks but let us look forward. Sometimes what we think or wish not always goes our way. That is a lesson we learn through the life:icon_wink:

NVM
01-06-2007, 08:30 PM
looks like LeBo has left the team..:-(

Beerknurd
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Can we run this application twice to fire up both processors? My dual core system is only averaging 48% (1 core).

Unless they changed something, you can run 2 instances of D2OL. You need 2 different directories and you have to install it in each directory. You can't just copy the entire folder to a new one. You have to install it 2 times.

I hope that works for you...

Steve Lux
01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Ah, ok. I tried running it twice - nothing. I tried copying it to another directory - again nothing. I had not tried re-installing it in the second directory. I may do this eventually, but team interest in Proteins is picking up so I'll leave the other core there for now.

Today I put one of my son's +4800 cores on D2OL along with my system's +3800 core.

Beerknurd
01-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I am running Proteins on 5 computers... I hate the fact that it has a quorum of 2. It takes forever to get credit... I have over 1000 points pending...

shnal
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I switched to D2OL from SOB because of this post, and partly because they're looking into avian flu. As for the electricity bill side of things I think that although DC is a good cause, I wouldn't run computers just to crunch DC projects.

I have an old £1 coin meter here and I notice that it's much more hungry when the PCs have been on all day. Luckily for me I don't have to wait 30 days to see this.

Currently I have four nodes in D2OL:

2 at home - an athlon xp barton 3000+ and an athlon xp 2200+
1 at my mother's house - an athlon xp 1700
1 at work - an athlon xp 2800+ mobile

This is currently all the computing power that I have access to, and I'm happy for them to be DCing when not doing much else. I wouldn't let them run just to run DC projects though.

They're on when they're on and off when they're off. I don't worry too much about the stats.

I'm not having a go at those who can justify have many PC's running 24/7, infact I am glad that some of us can as these people are really doing the lion's share.

I'm just saying that this works for me and doesn't cause me any problems with the girlfriend!

One more thing - obvious but maybe worth mentioning - If you will run PCs just to run DC projects it's worth making sure you turn off the monitors or have them auto switch off after five minutes or something because they use a large portion of the total power consumption.

drezha
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I keep my PC on all the time anyhow. Partly for DC, partly I spend time at it, partly it saves paying for heating, partly because I use it as a media hub (stream DVDs to my media center downstairs, keep up with newsfeeds and stream and listen to music off it)

I dont keep the media center on all the time mind. My laptop crunches and stays on...mainly it's a mobile work centre so it's constantly (well regulary) syncing files with my main rig.

I also have an old 266Mhz laptop that I dont really use at all anymore that could but doesn't crunch. It might next year when the landlord's start paying our utility bills for us (for only an extra £12 rise in rent a week..) but we'll see. 266Mhz is fairly old and wouldn't get much done. I should put it on something with no or long deadlines and leave it to crunch away...

Steve Lux
01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
You might try the 266Mhz laptop on something that is not so CPU/GPU resource intensive like Dimes or MJ-12.

I'm still (haphazardly) trying to find a PCMCIA2 network card (Cardbus cards do not work/fit) for my old, and still functioning, Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT Win-95 laptop. When I do, I plan to put it back to work on one of those projects.

AMDave
01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
You can park Linux on one of those babies (http://www.freakazoid.org/reference/tosh/) and use the modem port with a Null-Modem cable to your PC-Modem. Requires planning, but it works out. Actually it works out with Win95 as well, but you can learn linux at the same time ;)

Steve Lux
01-07-2007, 02:43 PM
But, but, if I use Linux then where will Bill and Melinda get all of those $Billion$ to throw away?

drezha
01-07-2007, 04:15 PM
You can park Linux on one of those babies (http://www.freakazoid.org/reference/tosh/) and use the modem port with a Null-Modem cable to your PC-Modem. Requires planning, but it works out. Actually it works out with Win95 as well, but you can learn linux at the same time ;)

I do run linux on it. Used to run Ubuntu. Toshiba Tecra 8000 I had so this guide was perfect.
http://outlands.ca/linux/t8000.html

The hard drive has now packed up but it runs Damn Small Linux fine :D

Lagu
01-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Dreza

Try MoneyBee. They have clients for linux. I myself have put my Intel 350 MHz on that project and it runs fine. No babysitting..:)

Steve Lux
01-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Looking at the D2OL (D@OL) site I see that we have 550 listed nodes available, in some cases more than 20 nodes are registered for individual people, yet the vast majority show no work being produced. I'm curious as to why people would go through the trouble of registering their nodes, yet not do any crunching for this project. If someone started this project and then moved on to something else I could understand that, but to register for a project but not even start - that seems curious to me.

vaughan
01-08-2007, 01:55 AM
One of the bugs in the Sengent application used by D2OL and TSC is that a node cannot be easily moved for re-use on another PC or if you re-install Windows. It can be done if you save the node file but most people don't bother. This means eventually you end up with many nodes that get unused or are not in use anymore.

NVM
01-08-2007, 02:02 AM
just log onto your account and delete the nodes then.

Scooter
01-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I figured that the nodes and people might have been left over when they reset the stats and those people never crunched after the reset...anyone want to guess if im right?

Lagu
01-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Scooter!

Yes you are right. Due to a large failure on their server they wasn´t able restore the stats so they zeroed all our crunched points and they as continued run D2OL was forced begin from start again. Many peoples disappeared from that project because they not rely on it longer. Even myself stopped run it but now I´m there again.

It is possible many of them have turned back again but many will never run that project anymore. They have been burned. But if am not wrong the same issue have happen in other projects too.

D2OL the project I ran when I joined AMDusers. It is nice change from Boinc to a project as has it own client. If you are running D2OL I hope you not give up. I hope the staff of D2OL have learned their lesson and have double backups if one disc will be destroyed.

You perhaps have notised "Hall of fame"? There you can see the most valuable teams before the failure.:)

NVM
01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
ok Lagu, watch yer back cuz i'm coming after you! :icon_mrgreen:

Lagu
01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok NVM.

But I can´t see you on the stats but it should be nice if we could ride our horses togheter:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

NVM
01-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Ok NVM.

But I can´t see you on the stats

really? i've been there for a few days now.

http://members.shaw.ca/northvanmike/postd2.jpg

NVM
01-09-2007, 03:57 AM
ok, sorry to double post but i'll be in the top 10 by my morning time. c'mon guys, you're making it too easy for me. :icon_razz:

Opteron
01-09-2007, 03:28 PM
One of the bugs in the Sengent application used by D2OL and TSC is that a node cannot be easily moved for re-use on another PC or if you re-install Windows. It can be done if you save the node file but most people don't bother. This means eventually you end up with many nodes that get unused or are not in use anymore.

That's what happened to me... I have 2 AMD's (Opteron / Sempron) and a old 500MHz Celeron on D2OL... I wiped the HDD running under the Intel and reinstalled Windows with minimal software to free up as much resources as possible to get something out of it... In the process I ended up with a null Node and 1 still very slow one... Hence 2 + 1/4 = 4

drezha
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
It is possible many of them have turned back again but many will never run that project anymore. They have been burned. But if am not wrong the same issue have happen in other projects too.

It wasn't just that. Just before the stats got destroyed, it was admitted that one of the top teams cheated. A couple of there members were claiming 2 units per 1.:icon_rolleyes:

TPR used to be a big player in it. Now because of the stats outage most of us moved to Folding.

Steve Lux
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Lagu, NVM is listed as "northvanmike" - and he is rapidly gaining on you. I'm trying to catch up too, but his 8 nodes are faster than my two.

gatekeeper53
01-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Your safe from me Lagu, But then I just started today. lol

Opteron
01-10-2007, 03:07 AM
NVM / "northvanmike" came on with a vengeance... I'm running from him but it won't last long at the rate he's crunching... Good work NVM / northvanmike...

Also, we moved into 13th place...

NVM
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
i'm also running DNET, and i may put those machine onto Sengent as well.

Steve Lux
01-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Swim faster Lagu, there's a shark on your tail...

Opteron
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Does any-1 know what’s going on with the stats page???

NVM
01-10-2007, 08:35 PM
the official stats updated a couple hours ago, but that was the last time. its been erratic that way. and Bok's stats have'nt updated for several hours.

Brucifer
01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I left a note a short while ago for Bok at the FDC Forum. He should get to it before too long unless they've sent him off to Rio again.

edit: He said that it appears to be an issue on the d2ol side of the fence. He's keeping an eye on it.

Lagu
01-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Steve Lux

I’m swimming for my life and I noticed I have NVM below me yet and the fact we have advanced to 13 rank and I myself have beaten Vaughan, this guy of all as is so kind. Let see if the bear awoke!:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
:5eek: who me? A bear? :new_sleeping:

NVM
01-10-2007, 11:32 PM
stats are back. :5obsessed:

PcManiac
01-11-2007, 01:22 AM
I am in 12th place right now :D

I am going to bring back a question I had posted before ..

Do any of you know a way to install D2OL on Server 2003?

Thanks!

NVM
01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
aarrgg! i double posted. no delete feature here.

NVM
01-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Do any of you know a way to install D2OL on Server 2003?

Thanks!

i'm just thinking out loud here, but i'm wondering if you have to enable or add certain components to your OS to get this working.in your Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs, there's a spot where you can add components,like this:

Brucifer
01-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Days for us to overtaken these teams:

Team ARP
Days to overtake 1,19

Team Ninja
Days to overtake 5,0

Team Ghepsolo, Gulu & Yupsilon ce la facciamo team
Days to overtake: 9,49

Team OCDistributed
Days to overtake 14,12

Guys, can and will you run D2OL and stomp them all? If we do that our team will decrease our rank from 15 to 11 place.:)

Lagu,
Barring some unforseen disaster, the team should overtake OCDistributed tomorrow and move into project team position #11. Then a bit of a climb to get into the top Ten so we start showing on Bok's team stats page. :)

Lagu
01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Finally we are number 11 in rank as was my goal. Well done all! Let us continue with the same power.:icon_mrgreen:

Steve Lux
01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Or more...

NVM
01-13-2007, 04:32 PM
none of my clients are working! arrrgg.

edit: hmmm, fixed it with a restart.

Brucifer
01-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Some really good output there terryb, good to see you crunching!! :)

gatekeeper53
01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks Bruce but I don't think I'll stay.
I have someone catching me in Pi Segment. This is just a little support short term.

NVM
01-16-2007, 12:13 AM
did something change in the stats link to Bok's D2OL page? i see the link is to http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=d2olnew but in fact it should be http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=d2ol .

has Bok changed the link(took out the "new") or am i nutz?

Opteron
01-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I don't know what happened to the link but thanks for posting a working 1...

Ototero
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Good spot Mike, I'll change my stats system tomorrow.

NVM
01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
ok, finally gotcha Lagu

Lagu
01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
:-( :-( :-( :-(

NVM
01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
lol.... :icon_wink:

gatekeeper53
01-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Don't worry Lagu I just dumped Mike in Eon lol

NVM
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
damn karma...:)

Beerknurd
01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
It will soon be me getting dumped on..... Terry has gotten really good at passing people... I hope that one day, I will also have that skill... :)

gatekeeper53
01-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Well if eon won't give up some wu's soon your position is safe because if I have to pull all my machines I sure won't go back. I sent them an email at noon and have had no response, At least on Pi Segment if Just has a problem he lets you know or replys to your email.

Beerknurd
01-18-2007, 02:23 AM
You still getting alot of zzzzzzz's

gatekeeper53
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Just look at everyones updates the only one getting work is the guy from UT that runs the thing
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allusers.php?proj=eon&orderby=d0&direction=DESC
The guy at #1 is running 40+ systems he normally runs about 6.000 per update

Opteron
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Stats are messed up again...

NVM
01-18-2007, 09:51 PM
yes, its the official stats that are wonky. good news is that the link to the unofficial stats is fixed! :icon_lol:

NVM
01-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Blackadder1, coming through! :)

Brucifer
01-21-2007, 10:57 PM
And the stats on Bok's site are down again today. Whether it's his script that croaked or not I don't know, but the stats show added results on the d2ol site stats. sigh......

edit: they are back up now.

By the by, anyone seeing much of the H5N1 wu's anymore? All I'm seing now is sars.

daddygeek
01-22-2007, 12:37 AM
All SARS here

Lagu
01-22-2007, 06:07 AM
It is mostly Sars IV the whole time. If you use DSPY and you have dark-read piles it is Sars IV.

vaughan
01-22-2007, 09:13 AM
All of mine are SARS IV.

PcManiac
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
same here, I hope they change it up a bit, I know it is good to crunch for SARS IV, but I'd like a little variety ... lol.

Opteron
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
SARS IV here... That's all I've gotten for a while now...

Brucifer
01-26-2007, 05:05 AM
oh well... not like there's any choice really.

Opteron
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Out of 107 people signed up for D2OL only 10 have returned WU's thus far today... If you're not really running for a goal or in a serious push for the top of another project, please help... Also, for those of you that haven't abandon me and D2OL I thank you...

NVM
01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
i know what you mean. where are the AMD Users? why am i almost in third spot already? :icon_redface:

Steve Lux
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I still have a 3800+ core on d2OL. My son's computer caught a virus (he hadn't updated his definitions since I put Norton's on his system in the middle of last year) and corrupted the D2OL code, so he removed d2OL from his system. Consequently I put both of his 4800+ cores on Proteins.

If I can get a good MB for my 5200+ AM2 I'll be happy to put it on D2OL.

Brucifer
01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
So what are you looking at for the chip?

Beerknurd
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Out of 107 people signed up for D2OL only 10 have returned WU's thus far today... If you're not really running for a goal or in a serious push for the top of another project, please help... Also, for those of you that haven't abandon me and D2OL I thank you...

i know what you mean. where are the AMD Users? why am i almost in third spot already? :icon_redface:

We are here, but we have so many projects that need help... It's hard to keep up. If we all switch to D2OL than we will loose other valuable spots...

Opteron
01-30-2007, 06:37 PM
We are here, but we have so many projects that need help... It's hard to keep up. If we all switch to D2OL than we will loose other valuable spots...

I didn't expect & wasn't asking every-1 to come to D2OL just for some help...
There are people here with access to a lot of computers and others like myself that do not...
I was just hoping to get a system or 2 from the farms out there or maybe if some-1 gets bored with their same'ol-same'ol project to gives us a hand that's all...

Steve Lux
01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Brucifer:
So what are you looking at for the chip?

I have the system built, the case modded and water-cooled, but the motherboard won't switch on the PS. I thought it was likely the PS, so I bought another, but the second PS wouldn't switch on either. So, upon studying up on ATX-style power supplies I learned that the motherboard shorts the green wire to neutral (the black wire) to "turn on" the power supply. Shorting these two wires together switches on both power supplies, so I now know both power supplies are good.

Next I thought the issue might be the power switch on the case (I am using an old case - because I have four old and failed systems just sitting around), but the switch is working properly. Next I shorted the two "power on" pins on the motherboard from the power switch, but the PS would not come on. I can only conclude that my motherboard was DOA. Even when I bypass the motherboard's power-on circuitry, all the fans, the lights and the water pump come on and the disks spin up, but the motherboard won't attempt to POST.

So, I need to buy another AM2 motherboard to put my 5200+ in.

Brucifer
01-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Brucifer:

snip

So, I need to buy another AM2 motherboard to put my 5200+ in.

So ya gotta buy one or can you return it since you mentioned it was DOA???

Steve Lux
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I bought the MB in late October. Took my time and worked on the case and system every once in a while, when not helping my son with his car. It's probably a bit past the warranty.

Opteron
02-03-2007, 03:09 AM
Overtaking Team Storagereview.com : 8.85 Good work guys we’ve almost made it into the top 10 let's keep it up!!!

Thank you guy's... We've been doing some good work and and we're knocking on the top ten door... This is where we are as of (10:35 CST-2-06-07)...

Days to Overtake
10 Team Storagereview.com 259,276 1,030 3,268 2.64
9 EOZ Team Latvia 267,055 1,120 3,178 5.16
8 Soft 299,135 1,095 3,203 15.13
7 Team Norway 314,273 2,014 2,284 27.86
6 OCWorkbench 353,569 505 3,793 27.13
5 Tweaknews.net Tweakers 430,608 1,758 2,540 70.84
4 Team [M-FAQ] 521,490 1,420 2,878 94.12
Threats

NVM
02-08-2007, 01:37 AM
getting sooooo close now...wOOt! :happy1:

Opteron
02-08-2007, 05:59 AM
We sure are NVM... A cpl of the Heavy Hitters came in over the last few days and really helped us knock a dent in it... Thanks Guy's!!!

NVM
02-10-2007, 07:37 PM
woohoo! i'm taking 3rd place on AMDUsers team. (all points were made since joining this team). :)

hope you don't mind slapping myself on the back!

Opteron
02-11-2007, 03:21 AM
woohoo! i'm taking 3rd place on AMDUsers team. (all points were made since joining this team). :)

hope you don't mind slapping myself on the back!

Well done NVM, Congrats... We're almost in the top ten...

gatekeeper53
02-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Congrats on the team taking 19th place!!!

Ototero
02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
We *ARE* in the top 10. Well done guys.

NVM
02-11-2007, 02:30 PM
good stuff! nice dump Terry.

19th? haha. btw folks, we're just behind the 9th place team, so we should move up some more this week.

Opteron
02-11-2007, 05:03 PM
A "VERY" nice dump Terry... It blew me back to 6th but its all about helping and team so who cares... Nice work every-1!!!

gatekeeper53
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I won't be around long so you should have no trouble going right back up. I just have a few days lead in Pi Segment and figured I'd help out here for a little bit.

Opteron
02-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Well, anytime you get another lead and have some free time don't forget us... We really appreciate all the help we can get...

Thanks again...

gatekeeper53
02-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Well were up another place.

Opteron
02-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Yea 4 US!!! Congrats to every-1 and thank you... Well done... Also, another nice dump there Terry!!!

PcManiac
02-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey, I just noticed that now I am getting the Avian Flu Target 1 - H5N1. I was hoping for a bit of a change lol

daddygeek
02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I just got one on mine to

NVM
02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
me three....:icon_mrgreen:

gatekeeper53
02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Are they any quicker?

NVM
02-17-2007, 02:39 PM
my output was down yesterday, so perhaps they are actually slower.

Opteron
02-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Sorry guys my output has slipped a little lately due to the fact I got a couple of systems to rebuild including converting right at 6,000 songs from ACC to MP3 with a much higher bit rate... Anyway, I'll be back on track soon and NVM I didn't forget you I haven't shipped anything yet...

P.S. the WU's you referred to do take a good bit longer...

NVM
02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
no worries about the "package"...:icon_wink:

NVM
03-02-2007, 03:16 AM
looks like Keith has realized that he has to pick it up a bit to preserve his spot? i hope so! :icon_wink:

Brucifer
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
rats.... I was just hoping that I could just quietly sneak right on by....

Steve Lux
03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
For those of us who use computers at work, D2OL fits nicely on a $38 1 gig USB ram stick. I leave it running on one core while I use the other, and I leave it in my work system over the weekend. I have set the work units to 500 on the stick I am using now and it works merrily away. Every few days I bring it home to upload the completed WU's and to download a new batch.

One risk though; someone stole one of my USB sticks the other day. It had been working for a week on 750 work units.

Brucifer
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
You need one of those "extender" cables or something so you can hide the usb stick. That's really a bummer that someone would steal it from your work station. :(

drezha
03-04-2007, 10:18 AM
That suck!

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't work thus when I'm at a computer in Uni, I stay with the PC until I leave...

As Brcifer says plug in the rear of the PC or something.

Bender10
03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Do you copy the client and files to the flash drive, or install it? That sounds like a cool way to get some werk in, while I'm at work.

drezha
03-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, how'd you get D2OL working on USB stick?

I fancy running it at Uni rather than Dnet.

Oh and how many units would I want for an hour on a P4?

Steve Lux
03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
The USB stick is just another drive. Just load the whole client to it. a 1MB stick is more than enough. For company security concerns; you are not using the web and you are not installing the applications onto the work system.

At work I use a 3.2Ghz P4. I loaded this stick with 500 wu's Friday morning and by mid-day Monday (today) it has crunched 290 WU's over the weekend. So I'm looking at about 90 WU's per 24 hours, or about 3.75 wu's per hour (using just 50% of the system CPU capacity).

drezha
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Cheers Steve.

Does this mean I have to uninstall it on the Windows Machine then copy across? IIRC, they dont have a zipped copy, it's all an installer.

If not, gives me a change to try out this...
http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Open_Source&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract

Steve Lux
03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I simply downloaded and installed it as another node onto the USB stick, then linked it to my D2OL account.

FYI; the stats I gave earlier were a bit conservative. The GUI had hung up at 290 WU's, when in fact I had about 390 completed. So my P4 at work is getting more like 6 WU's per hour rather than the 3.75/hr that I had earlier estimated.

NVM
03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
we're coming up to position #8. steady as she goes. :)

Bender10
03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Ok, It's loaded on a stick, and downloading tasks....

I'll see what happens at werk tommorow.

How do you get 500 wu's?

Beerknurd
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
change the quota to 500 in the options, you can go up to 2000 I think...

Bender10
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Ok, I may let these run out first and see how long they take.

NVM
03-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Bender,rule of thumb,about 100 a day.

Bender10
03-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Cool, I have the flash drive hooked to a non-internet computer at werk. It is not very busy, mainly used for printing to a plotter.

Lagu
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I have crunch 2000 tasks and it took if I remember right nearly 4 weeks on my AMD 64 3200+.:icon_wink: :)

Steve Lux
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm getting about 150 WU's per day (24 hours) out of the 3.2Ghz P4 at work using 50% of the CPU capacity. I'm basing that on the 84 WU's completed from 6am to 7:30pm while I was at work today.

Bender10
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
The complete install only takes up 41-42 Mb. Data files for 100 wu's take up about 1.5 Mb. That is without completed tasks, which should not take up that much more space.

So, You should be able to run this from a 128 Mb stick with a few hundred wu's (or more :icon_wink:)

* I found a different 'broken' 2 Ghz non-internet computer at werk to use today (faster, more power). I'm the IT guy (hardware mostly). I rolled off around 25-30 today. And that was just 4-5 hours I think.

Steve Lux
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
We have surpassed team SOFT to take 9th place.

NVM
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM
with the latest points update, we've moved up another position! wOOt! *parties*
:wav::qgreenjumpers:

Steve Lux
03-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Lagu, look out behind you. It will be several more days before I dump another batch of WU's, so you will have some time to increase your productivity.

NVM
03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Steve,we're in 8th,not 9th place!

Lagu
03-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Steve, you may dump a large work but I´m still running PI on 2 computers and D2OL on one and MoneyBee on the old Pentium II. I think because we is a team it play no role for me. If I had 10 PC´s I could put in 2 or 3 but yoy se my arsenal.
I will shake hands with you when you went by:)

Brucifer
03-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Had no problem loading 2 instances onto the AM2 X2 running XP-64. Will be interesting to see how that runs compared to a 939 running OpenSuse.

Opteron
03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
OMG, a 44,137 dump... Nice work Brucifer...

Brucifer
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
OMG, a 44,137 dump... Nice work Brucifer...

Only 3,000 something was a dump. The rest I transferred over from another account that I was crunching on at ars_technica. Got tired of trying to feed two main accounts and getting nowhere fast. In the beginning of the ars_technica thing I took several thousand points away from the amd_users team anyway, and started a new account here. So really, part of that was just coming back home.

Opteron
03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Either way I'm glad to have them and you on our team... I just noticed we also jumped up to 6th overall... WOW, what a dump...

Steve Lux
03-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Lagu, I'm all on Pi-Segment for the duration, so you'll be returning the favor and passing me back soon enough.

Lagu
03-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, how many points have I to go before passing you? If there is a large distance you can be calm. My Athlon 1001 MHz is very slow.:)

NVM
03-23-2007, 09:56 PM
holy Heavens To Murgatroid!

awesome. :)

Brucifer
04-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I'm moving on folks. Points that follow the people will be moved, and the ones that stay with the team naturally will stay.

Opteron
04-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Never mind!!!