PDA

View Full Version : buggy code

meshmar
12-25-2006, 08:10 PM
If you get the "Error: Can't reach the server. Please check your Internet connection" message in you logs even though the next entry says "[xKm xM xxCm] [xxxx Keystrokes] [xxxx Clicks] [xxxx Scroll Wheel] [Uptime: xxxmin] [Usetime: xxxmin] have been sent", they have NOT been sent. :(

Because of this bug (which I have reported several times, and have NEVER received a response too), my actual totals are well over the online database totals. Until this is fixed, it is a waste of effort to send results that are frequently "lost in the mail" ... :(

AMDave
12-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I haven't had any of those troubles since the client was updated.
For each log entry that I have the GRUK stats have updated.
Are you using the most recent version 4.2?

BTW, you don't have 2 clients running on the same member ID do you?

The client is designed to run for only one member ID to email address pair per client. If you have two clients running for the same member ID on the same email address, the next client to update will take over the ID and the other client will get ignored. This can be fixed by registering a new member name against the second client

meshmar
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Latest client - 4.2 ...

Client only installed on one system ...

Occasionally, it will 'Fail to connect' once (or more) - even if I am actively browsing ...

Logs will say data sent - with no change in online stats.

Right now 'The Turtle' says my actual stats are well above those online. I have sent numerous e-mails - no response, nada ...

AMDave
12-27-2006, 01:30 AM
That's a pain.

The total on the server should be the same as the value of cumulative total minus the amount to be sent on the client. If the result of that formula is lower /ed- sorry, that should be "higher" -ed/ than the value on the server then result packets are being dropped.
I have not seen it happen on v4.2 on my clients, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

How much is it out by?

I assume the proxy field on the settings tab is clear and unchecked.

Since you are still having problems I suggest you post your outstanding results and then uninstall and re-install the client.

meshmar
12-27-2006, 02:17 AM
No proxy ...

Amount low on server ...

8km+
30000+ keystrokes
20000+ clicks
20000+ scrolls
+hrs of uptime and use time.

I did consider uninstall/reinstall - but was hoping to get SOME response from the site and avoid the total loss of the extra numbers. The problem is no failsafe in the code. It ASSUMES the data was sent correctly AND received - and provides no backup method if it wasn't. :-(

AMDave
12-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Oops. My bad. As you say, amount is lower on server. I fixed my text above.

About the lack of response; I sent a bug report email to them in the past for the previous version of the client and got no response. I then took the care to translate it into French and re-sent it and still got no response. Wish I had better news, but I recommend you don't hold your breath on this one ;)