PDA

View Full Version : How to Join D2OL

Nflight
12-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I think first off is a good read of the web site provided here: (http://www.d2ol.com/index.html)

Next you want to find the DOWNLOAD section located at the top of the screen of the homepage. I found the Download Instructions (http://www.d2ol.com/dOL/download_instructions.html) very helpful.

This project Runs all 4 OS's: Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris.

For Windows users this link will be helpful Client Instructions: (http://www.d2ol.com/dOL/download_win.html)

Onsite Forum General Instructions: (http://www.d2ol.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000636)
Under this section you will also find answers to performance and how to join a team like the AMD USERS.

There are over 100 forum threads of various communication describing improvements and upgrades to assist you in your knowledge to run D2OL. If for any reason you can't find solutions either on the D2OL web site forum pages, or here at AMD USERS web site, feel free to ask us at anytime.

NVM
12-30-2006, 03:28 PM
and don't forget to go to your account page and add your nodes or you'll be wondering where the heck your points are going....:icon_redface:

PcManiac
01-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Hey, does anyone know if you can run this on a server? I am trying to install the client on my 2003 server, and it starts extracting, and then quits ....:sad5:

drezha
01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Have they taken steps to stop the stats dieing or being cheated again?

Brucifer
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
They are working at getting a new client out this year, and that should have some new changes. As to if there will be changes regarding the cheating issue, I couldn't answer that, but I would doubt they get that far in the revamping of the client. The group that is running the show now appears to be approaching things in a much more organized and realistic manner. To totally eliminate the cheating issue would require a total revamping of the client, which they just don't have the resources of. And in keeping with the "science" of things, there are some needed client changes that they are concentrating more on initially. I would say though that they are paying much more attention to the returns than what happened before. And the returns appear to be much more reasonable now too.

As for the zero-ing of the stats. Isn't anyone that could really answer that most likely as things sort of ended up in a real muddle between the "old project" and the new, current one. The stated attitude of the people running it now is that first comes the science. And that should be the case with every project, and I would imagine that it is. They do realize that a great number of people crunch for points for teams, etc. Anyone that has taken the time to look at the number of people turning in results under the pre-zero days, and the number of people turning in results now, can't help but notice that there has been a huge drop in the number of people participating in the project. And I am quite sure that item has been imbedded in the project manager's mind quite strongly. And I would also realistically imagine that the present powers to be realize that all their credibility would fly out the window should the stats be zeroed again.

That all being said, this isn't the first project to zero out stats. There have been multiple "failures" with boinc projects, or projects just fading off into the sunset. I am one of the many that stayed away from this and the TSC project after the "fiasco" of the stats issue. However the project is working on very worthwhile medical goals. To "me" it is worth putting some time and expense out of my own pocket to do some crunching on the project and I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Should they zero again the undoubtedly I'd take a hike and not return, and I would imagine would be the case with a lot of others.

If you are that concerned about those two issues, then you should instead crunch something that you feel more comfortable with. After all, it is your time and money you are "donating" and you should feel good about how you donate. :)

NVM
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
hey, Team Ninja is next on the list...:icon_wink:

PcManiac
01-04-2007, 09:42 PM
bump

Anyone have any iders?

Hey, does anyone know if you can run this on a server? I am trying to install the client on my 2003 server, and it starts extracting, and then quits ....:sad5:

Brucifer
01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
me thinks it's time for you to head for the d2ol forum and post the question there. I can't help you as I'm a linux type.

NVM
01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
might be a java issue. try getting the newest version and try it again.