PDA

View Full Version : Our Team

Arminiusc
09-13-2003, 01:37 AM
I seen a couple days ago that one of the independent people that were on the grid joined our team. Their name is Footmaster and it seems like they have a pretty good system running it. I havent seen the name in the members list (you are welcome to join) but I would like to welcome them to our Grid team anyways! :)

vaughan
09-13-2003, 07:35 AM
Yes, new recruits are always most welcome.
Has anyone had problems with Grid-On-Tap giving an error saying it will have to restart the task in an hour? I had it a few times last night; project just stops crunching and never picks up a new job. Good thing I had another project running in the background to pick up the otherwise wasted CPU cycles.

Madcat
09-13-2003, 09:49 AM
I had seen a message text on the client stating that there would be periodic downtimes because he's testing the new project after the collatz project.

One good thing I like about this client is it restarts well and plays nice with the OGR/RC5-72 clients I have running next to them in case of downtimes.

Arminiusc
09-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Yes I have seen it stop for 60min somethimes... but it usually starts back ok... yesterday I had to restart though since it didnt look like it wanted to get connected back again.
They did have a server message the other day about running some tests and having some interuptions. Its a good thing they put messages out on whats going on. That way I wont get too irritated and run something else. :)
If they come out of the beta phase like it says when we get done with phase 3, then the DC Repository will put it in the listings. :D

vaughan
09-13-2003, 03:22 PM
I was wondering when it was going to show up in the DC Repository. At the rate we're going we should be thru Phase 3 soon.

Arminiusc
09-15-2003, 11:15 PM
The repository has Grid On Tap listed now... but will will not count for our ranking until it comes out of beta.

vaughan
09-16-2003, 06:52 AM
We're #1 in the stats for GOT in the DC Repository's list. Woo hoo!

chaz
09-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Looks like US-Distributed might have an interest in this one too....

Arminiusc
09-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Yup looks like they just doubled the number of people they have on it to 2. :)

Bionic_Redneck
09-17-2003, 02:30 AM
I have to say that the stats although same style as the old MD5 and projectX are improve by that atleast they work. so maybe things are better than they were in the past now if they could get rid of the .net crap.

Anonymous
09-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Yes, the .net pissed me off. I don't want to install and download a whole bunch of extra junk. Have a stand-alone client.
Damnit.

:twisted:

chaz
09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Yup looks like they just doubled the number of people they have on it to 2. :)

Yeah but those two have some real power at their disposal, look at RSAttack...

Madcat
09-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Well maybe anyways. :?

Arminiusc
09-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Looks like US-distributed has a total of 4 computers on it right now... one of them seems to be an opteron even.

Madcat
09-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Looks like they stepped up thier attack and swamp yet another project. I've given up on EON because of them. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

vaughan
09-27-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi Madcat, I tried some EON recently. Graeme's improved the stats a little, adding the rank in the stats listing for example but the client still doesn't checkpoint or give any indication of progress. I don't like the fact you could be 99.9% through a task and lose all that work becuase you moved the mouse (and stopped the screensaver running). Also the tasks seemto take quite some time even with at least an XP2000+ running it they seem to take more than 15 minutes per task.
(SPJeff69, maybe this should move to the EON thread?)

Madcat
09-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Then use the text client. It's a bit faster and it gives you a readout of it's progress of sorts. I don't really thing they will change the client much from reading in thier forum, since they rely on grant monies to operate. At least they will be changing over something other than aluminum models and have some more students helping out on the project.

Bionic_Redneck
09-28-2003, 08:50 AM
I was guessing that windows would be faster with EON oh maybe not.

vaughan
09-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Madcat - what text client? When I visit the EON site and go to How to download there is a Windows (all flavours bar XP), X86 Linux and Alpha Linux.
The Windows verison is called eon_install.exe - I don't see a text version. Is there some special way to make it do this?

Eclipse
09-29-2003, 11:20 AM
From the EON FAQ:

Question:

Is there a text based EON client for windows?

Answer:

We don't have a specific text based installation for windows, but running the client.exe program (by default c:\Program Files\UW Chemistry\Eon\Program\client.exe) will start a text client.

vaughan
09-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks Eclipse