PDA

View Full Version : Alien Signals Jammed

steinfal
12-31-2006, 04:20 AM
Hmmm...

Those pesky aliens are at it again. This somewhat odd Google video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5793453751420599744&hl=en
is showing how the SETI institute (not SETI@home but close enough) is receiving alien signals, but the government is jamming them.

Wouldn't you be mad if this were true though? Especially if you spent years of processor time to find the signals.

NeoGen
12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't know if any signals were really found up to this day, but I believe for a long time that if they were we would never know about it...

Ototero
12-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Goverments think we are children unable to cope with the news so it's covered up.

Shame on governments.

AMDave
12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Do you think it is possible that a government would be caught in an act like that? Everything unofficial and without evidence smacks of "give me attention because I want it now!"

Steve Lux
12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm curious how they think that the NRO or NSA can block a specific frequency in very specific parts of the sky from all over the globe. You have to consider that jamming signals are a constant source and must be at a much higher power level than the initial signal being looked for in order to overwhelm the searched for signal. SETI searches in highly directional beam angles and at very specific frequencies from a variety of locations around the globe.

If they (SETI) are so good at finding signals should they not be able to locate the signal jamming equipment and take pictures of where the the jamming signals are coming from to post on the internet? It's not that hard to get Interference Source Locator equipment that can be used to triangulate on specfic frequency sources - the technology has been available for years. An example: http://www.spacenewsfeed.co.uk/2006/24December2006_60.html

Every government where SETI has radio telescopes would have to be in on it. So, when have you ever heard of an instance where so many governments would agree on something much less agree on having another government's agents inside their borders for extended periods of time (edit to append: with radio frequency equipment - of the same type that could be used for spying)?

I think that the old cronies at SETI are starting to become frustrated in the lack of productivity in their searches and are feeling the need to blame someone - and "the government" is a natural scapegoat.

Brucifer
12-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Do you think it is possible that a government would be caught in an act like that? Everything unofficial and without evidence smacks of "give me attention because I want it now!"

ah yes.... we needs the attention cause our fund raising letter from sir whatever just isn't cutting it. Gotta get the press coverage....... people are looking at us like we are so last century... :)

maybe it's the little green men in their flying sucers that are doing the jamming... they have seen us, and don't want anything to do with us....

AMDave
01-01-2007, 03:49 AM
mphf!phf!phf!phf!phf! (stifled laugh)
Good one. and much more likely.

Brucifer
01-01-2007, 04:30 AM
glad you liked it! :)

On the more serious side, I would really imagine that the powers to be are much more concerned with things smacking into the planet than jamming centuries-old (at a minimum) RF signals bouncing through the wide expanses out yonder that we really couldn't do anything about even if we wanted to...

steinfal
01-01-2007, 03:12 PM
The other guy in the video is so fascinated that he has fallen asleep. Check him out. He looks like one of those kids in high school that has perfected the art of sleeping sitting up.