PDA

View Full Version : Welcome BC

chaz
06-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Hello and welcome to the team fellow cruncher.

em99010pepe
06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Welcome aboard.

WienerDog
06-26-2004, 12:58 PM
hi BC welcome :cool:

vaughan
06-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Glad to have you with us BC. Welcome to the team.

jlangner
06-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Welcome BC!!

nickth
06-26-2004, 02:04 PM
BC Welcome to the team :D

Jeff
06-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Welcome BC! I hope you enjoy the AMD Users community!

Jeff S.

BC
06-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Hey all!

and thanks for the welcome!!!

To tell you a bit about me... I've been an AMD'er since I found that
there was an alternative to the 8086... (which was rigged over where
an 8088 belonged)... My friends at the time said I would, if given a
Cray XMP-4 (the fastest back then), outgrow it in about 6 months.. LOL

I was around when the first Athlons were fab'd and had the privledge of getting them hand delivered and built PCs with them. Next was the first
Athlon MPs.

Since then, it's been GREAT uphill fun.... I'm loving every minute of it.

I'm working now with SGI/Cray machines as well now.... pulling multiple worlds together. I wish I could show you a picture of my computer lab. I think it's fair to say that 3 fully loaded Origin 3000's (you can check their specs for fun) with a few hundred terabytes of disk space (RAIDed of course) would be fun for anyone and DC. I would rather see that as 3 fully loaded AMD machines of equal power, but oh well... it will happen soon enough. So far, so good.

I've had the privledge of developing some other cool things that you all know well, the most common being what is now the 'moving map display' in your car. My boss and I did the very first prototype just for laughs about 9 years ago now. There's more, but I think you get the idea.

If there is ANYTHING you would like to know... don't be afraid to ask. Emailing me is a lot quicker to get my attention, but I will definately hang out here in the lounge and ALSO set the notification flag.

Thanks again for the overwhelming welcome.
Happy crunching.

What I do for a living is always on the high end of computing... always on that 'bleeding edge' and then some.

Thanks again and it's good to be here,
BC

em99010pepe
06-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Once I thought writing a letter to AMD Portugal to see if they could support us (the team) with a super-computer. I'm reconsidering right now.

BC
06-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I don't see why not....

We need to find someone in the group who is REALLY good at soliciting hardare.

I can spell it all out, and maybe ask some of my contacts who to contact..

If possible, I *WILL* ask if we can get something new to put as part of the group.... That would be GREAT press for AMD...

OR would a couple of full-up 8-way Opteron machine do it?.. (which we would overclock... [evil grin])

How should we do this... All I can do is ask from the inside and see how receptive people are. Mostly, we need to find out how badly AMD wants to prove just how bad Intel really is AND how badly they want to be the #1 chip maker. That's the key.

Assuming we get at least one, what project(s) do we put it on? Predictor/BOINC? D2OL?

Pepe, since it's your brainchild, would you care to take the lead? Tell us what to do... and tell me how I can be of best service to our cause?

BC.

PS: Sounds like that 'sticky' at the top of the forum, which I take as an idea, may have some life to it. You have my support. Go for it!

em99010pepe
06-27-2004, 10:15 AM
First we have to talk to the adminitrators of this site.
Second this discuss has to be taken in a private place.

I don't want to be the leader i think the right man is :arrow: vaughan. We have to wait for his opinion.

BC
06-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Ok,
then I leave it in your hands to start the communications?

All I ask is that I be given the chance to contribute if it is
decided to be pursued.

Thanks
BC.

em99010pepe
06-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Ok,
then I leave it in your hands to start the communications?

All I ask is that I be given the chance to contribute if it is
decided to be pursued.

Thanks
BC.

vaughan is from Australia and it's night there (11:00 pm). So i'am sending him a PM.