PDA

View Full Version : Preleminary release schedule

Lagu
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Taken from D2OLs forums posted 31/12 2006

Below is the preliminary release schedule I have come up with for D2OL client updates for 2007. At this point, dates are very approximate and may change as we go along. Planned features might also see some shifting as we move forward. As always, your feedback and questions are welcomed.

2007.1 : I’d like to make this a purely beta release that will just let us establish a process for other releases. Since the client hasn’t been compiled and distributed in several years, I expect there will be some bumps in just getting something new into your hands. For this release, I’ll ask for a handful of users to test a new build and distribution, but without any new functionality. This will basically establish our baseline.

2007.2 : The major functionality change for this release will be to move task expiration from the server side to the client. This means that tasks will automatically be expired and discarded in the client so you won’t have the possibility of working on expired tasks. This will also improve statistics server performance and further stabilize the statistics server. I hope to also be able to squeeze in some smaller functionality, such as estimating the number of tasks you should be able to finish in the cutoff period (currently 31 days).

2007.3 : This release will focus on adding multiple processor support. The details are still to be determined, but this will most likely consist of having the client optionally determine automatically when two cores are available and spawn two processes. Again, other minor enhancements will probably also be included here, and we can continue to discuss what those will be.

I expect 2007.1 and 2007.2 to happen in the first half and for 2007.3 to be available before the end of the year. I hope these schedules can be accelerated, but these are my estimates for right now. It might be possible to combine 2007.2 and 2007.3, but I want to make sure 2007.2 gets done. In all cases, the clients will be backwards compatible with all other parts of the system, so if you choose not to download any of the new versions, you should still be fine.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

PcManiac
01-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey, this sounds interesting, I am up for some BETA testing if need be.