PDA

View Full Version : Web problem -The connection has timed out

Dee
01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
The connection has timed out

The server at www.pcworld.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

=============================================
Yes...I finally gave up an IE7...then 6...and got Firefox...but it still won't allow access to pcworld or Misco...or a few others...everywhere else...no problem! What's going on? Please?:icon_redface:

gatekeeper53
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I use netscape or opera but the reasons for this are to vast to even guess without looking at all your settings. It could be your firewall, a windows setting, a browser setting,...

Steve Lux
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Dee, I clicked on the link you provided and went directly to their site. You may be having a local problem. To check I went to:

START (click)
RUN (click)
TYPE in the box: "tracert www.pcworld.co.uk"
Then depress the enter/return key

This will run a DOS-based trace from your computer to the site you are trying to access. It will give you millisecond delays at each step (device, router, switcher, ect.) to where you are trying to get to. If a "*" is returned I think that indicates a >1 second delay and will likely display a time-out indication for that device. This is an "old-school" tool and provides more data than "ping www.pcworld.co.uk" does.

Edit: Do not include the quotation marks (") in the box.

Beerknurd
01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a 6MB download rate and it took me 6 seconds to bring the page up...

Dee
01-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I have a 6MB download rate and it took me 6 seconds to bring the page up...
:icon_razz::icon_mrgreen:

Dee
01-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Dee, I clicked on the link you provided and went directly to their site. You may be having a local problem. To check I went to:

START (click)
RUN (click)
TYPE in the box: "tracert www.pcworld.co.uk"
Then depress the enter/return key

This will run a DOS-based trace from your computer to the site you are trying to access. It will give you millisecond delays at each step (device, router, switcher, ect.) to where you are trying to get to. If a "*" is returned I think that indicates a >1 second delay and will likely display a time-out indication for that device. This is an "old-school" tool and provides more data than "ping www.pcworld.co.uk" does.

Edit: Do not include the quotation marks (") in the box.
Thanks! I'll try and do that...hopefully copy the result!:icon_wink:

Unfortunately...I didn't know how to copy the result...Ctrl A & Ctrl C...just made it disappear! :-(
I wish I could remember the little bit of DOS I knew!

It seem as if it was hopping down the country...quite happily until step 14 which produced the predicted '*' result followed by 'timed out'
I waited until it had repeated 6 times before I tried to copy...and lost it all together!

BobCat13
01-07-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks! I'll try and do that...hopefully copy the result!:icon_wink:

Unfortunately...I didn't know how to copy the result...Ctrl A & Ctrl C...just made it disappear! :-(
I wish I could remember the little bit of DOS I knew!

Start (click)
Run (click)
TYPE in the box: cmd (press enter key)

Now the command prompt window should stay open. Using your mouse, click on the black C: icon in the title bar. Choose Properties, Options tab, put a checkmark in QuickEdit Mode box, click OK. Choose Save properties for future windows... and click OK.

Now you can use the mouse to copy and paste into command prompt windows.

To copy from the command prompt window, use the left mouse button to copy which text you want, then right click to copy your selection to the clipboard. It can then be pasted into other programs.

To paste into the command prompt window, copy the text you want to the clipboard, then in the command prompt window right click to paste that text.

AMDave
01-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Wow!
They must be hopping mad with their web site developer!
They updated their web pages early-November.
Now their web feedback forum (http://forums.pcworld.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=deba40d16facb6a52e0ba1f2d5f160b8) shows they have just about every problem in the book.

Dee
01-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow!
They must be hopping mad with their web site developer!
They updated their web pages early-November.
Now their web feedback forum (http://forums.pcworld.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=deba40d16facb6a52e0ba1f2d5f160b8) shows they have just about every problem in the book.
Dave...that's the American site...which I can see!!...What about the UK site?

Dee
01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Start (click)
Run (click)
TYPE in the box: cmd (press enter key)

Now the command prompt window should stay open. Using your mouse, click on the black C: icon in the title bar. Choose Properties, Options tab, put a checkmark in QuickEdit Mode box, click OK. Choose Save properties for future windows... and click OK.

Now you can use the mouse to copy and paste into command prompt windows.

To copy from the command prompt window, use the left mouse button to copy which text you want, then right click to copy your selection to the clipboard. It can then be pasted into other programs.

To paste into the command prompt window, copy the text you want to the clipboard, then in the command prompt window right click to paste that text.
Thanks again...I managed to copy it!!
Sooooo....who can tell me what this means?:icon_wink:

Tracing route to www.pcworld.co.uk [195.92.228.186]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms esr7.miltonkeynes3.broadband.bt.net [217.47.74.1
46]
3 11 ms 12 ms 11 ms 217.47.74.13
4 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms 217.41.175.17
5 15 ms 11 ms 12 ms 217.41.175.66
6 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms 217.41.175.118
7 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 217.41.175.54
8 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms 217.47.74.107
9 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms core2-pos14-1.bletchley.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.31
.125]
10 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms core2-pos15-1.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [194.74.16.15
7]
11 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms core2-pos1-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.201
.86]
12 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms pc2.17.ber-1.r18.telh.as5388.net [195.92.202.93]

13 25 ms 26 ms 26 ms ge1-0.hnr-1.msl.as5388.net [195.92.201.118]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 *

NeoGen
01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I just tried the tracert here and have the same problem, but I can access the site. It's a bit slow to load though.

Dee
01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry for you but I'm pleased I'm not alone!:icon_wink:

AMDave
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Dave...that's the American site...which I can see!!...What about the UK site?
Busted!
Right you are too.
I retraced my steps and found that even though I used the local UK search, I got the US site when I searched for their forum. Now I search for a UK forum, I can't find one.
I can see the uk site no problems using the link you gave above.
Since several of us can see it ok, and you can see other sites ok, I am guessing your ISP has a DNS feed error - they usually resolve in 48 hours.

I just tracert'd this myself and found an issue with
ge1-0.hnr-1.msl.as5388.net [195.92.201.118]
as well.
Both opentransit.net AND bt.net have delays connecting to that node.

Ahhh. It looks like those of us that can see it may be seeing cached pages.
The DNS path goes to ge1-0.hnr-1.msl.as5388.net which is currently a dead end.

They got problems. Not you.
They'll fix it.
If you have something urgent, try the Dixons website (http://www.dixons.co.uk/) as they own and run PC World UK.

Ototero
01-07-2007, 01:05 PM
That's strange. My tracert also timed out at the same point.

But I can access the site and navigate to different pages. The pages I went for can't all be cached.

AMDave
01-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Hmm. Maybe it is a DNS cascade problem then.
If that is the case Dee's problem should go away in less than 48 hours.

Dee
01-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Busted!
Right you are too.
I retraced my steps and found that even though I used the local UK search, I got the US site when I searched for their forum. Now I search for a UK forum, I can't find one.
I can see the uk site no problems using the link you gave above.
Since several of us can see it ok, and you can see other sites ok, I am guessing your ISP has a DNS feed error - they usually resolve in 48 hours.

I just tracert'd this myself and found an issue with
ge1-0.hnr-1.msl.as5388.net [195.92.201.118]
as well.
Both opentransit.net AND bt.net have delays connecting to that node.

Ahhh. It looks like those of us that can see it may be seeing cached pages.
The DNS path goes to ge1-0.hnr-1.msl.as5388.net which is currently a dead end.

They got problems. Not you.
They'll fix it.
If you have something urgent, try the Dixons website (http://www.dixons.co.uk/) as they own and run PC World UK.
Aha! I sussed that, last night, since I couldn't get through to PCW...I could try Dixons. Every email sent to pcw came back because I didn't have a name...just admin@ or postmaster@...but some chap called Domino<tic> sent them back saying there were too many admin to resolve...SO my next call was on the Dixon group site...were I found a list of names...Board, Chairman and Management...I went for management...PCWorld retail to be precise...and sent him a missive! Don't know if it will work...but I'm clutching at straws! I hate defeat!:icon_twisted::icon_mrgreen:

AMDave
01-07-2007, 01:28 PM
You can try webmaster_at_pcworld.co.uk but I don't think that will get through because of the dud network node, so maybe try webmaster_at_dixons.co.uk
(replacing the antispam _at_ with a real @, of course)

Dee
01-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Hmm. Maybe it is a DNS cascade problem then.
If that is the case Dee's problem should go away in less than 48 hours.
No, no guys...this has been weeks! I have to say...when I got rid of IE7 the other day...I did get through a couple of times on IE6....then nothing in the last 3 days...that's when I got Firefox...but even Firefox cant get through!

You've probably guessed:icon_redface: that even though I'm fairly comfortable using a pc, I even put new USB 2 enhanced ports into it:icon_wink: and various other things over the years (started in '87!)...I know very little about techy firewalls and routers ect :-( which why I'm very grateful for your help!

Dee
01-07-2007, 01:44 PM
You can try webmaster_at_pcworld.co.uk but I don't think that will get through because of the dud network node, so maybe try webmaster_at_dixons.co.uk
(replacing the antispam _at_ with a real @, of course)
Arrrgh! Both cam back with this message!!
Your message

Subject:

was not delivered to:

webmaster@pcworld.co.uk

because:

Recipient user name webmaster (webmaster@pcworld.co.uk) not unique. Several matches found in Domino Directory.

:icon_twisted:

AMDave
01-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Oh! Weeks!
We'll more thought required then.
It might be that the server at 195.92.201.118 is simply blocking ping and trace, which would also lead to our dead end results.
I guess we'd have to check that your firewall has not ended up blocking the destination site, but without being able to determine the terminating address I can't tell you what IP address to look for in the firewall settings.
I'll ponder this while I sleep.

Which firewall software do you use?

Steve Lux
01-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Dee, there may be devices that actually block tracert due to hacking concerns. We may possibly be detecting equipment that is stopping the route tracing software on purpose. http://www.answers.com/topic/traceroute

It's a shame that so many useful tools are abused by a very small minority, hence blocked from the majority.

Dee
01-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Oh! Weeks!
We'll more thought required then.
It might be that the server at 195.92.201.118 is simply blocking ping and trace, which would also lead to our dead end results.
I guess we'd have to check that your firewall has not ended up blocking the destination site, but without being able to determine the terminating address I can't tell you what IP address to look for in the firewall settings.
I'll ponder this while I sleep.

Which firewall software do you use?
Windows Nvidia Netgear...Mcaffee :icon_redface: could even be bt! I told you I didn't know!...whatever it is it appears to work! How would I find out?

Strongbow
01-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi Dee,

Happy New Year!

First, have you changed or installed/updated anything very recently? If no then contact your ISP, as PCworld.co.uk is working fine and is quite fast for once, tell them that you can't get to many sites and so it sounds like they have a proxy problem. They should be able to give you a temporary proxy to point your browser at whilst they sort the problem out. It does happen often with BT & NTL.

Dee
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Strongbow! Happy New Year to you too!:icon_mrgreen: I upgraded my router on Fri...but the problem pre-existed it! I'd say it's been going on for quite a while...and nothing I've done seems to make a difference! As I said...I did get through a couple of times...after I ditched IE 7 for 6...then I resorted to Firefox....Oh...and I upgraded by taking out 4 usb2 ports and replacing them with 2 or 3 usb2 enhanced...because my computer complained on behalf of my scanner...said it wasn't good enough...blooming cheek!:icon_rolleyes: so that's all I've done.

My other router was forever falling off the top of my pc when the wires were caught...which why, when it wasn't going well, I upgraded it to one that looks more stable.

How do I work out which firewalls I have?:icon_wink:

NVM
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Dee, you mentioned Nvidia. do you have Nvidia web based interface version? i think its awful and have the firewall turned off there.

Dee
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Dee, you mentioned Nvidia. do you have Nvidia web based interface version? i think its awful and have the firewall turned off there.
I certainly have the program...I don't know how you tell if it's the resident firewall!:(

Steve Lux
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Dee, If you are using Window$ XP:

Click on Start, then on Control Panel, then on Security Center. When the box comes up for Security Center, click on the Firewall box to open up that option. It should tell you what type of firewall you are using.

Dee
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Steve...thanks! I didn't set this one up...just left it to the builders...hence no idea what was done on that front....so...windows is on...plus the router...I think...not sure how I find out about nvidea...and that's about it...and I have online mcaffee.... and AVG

Strongbow
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
My other router was forever falling off the top of my pc when the wires were caught...which why, when it wasn't going well, I upgraded it to one that looks more stable. Like your style :icon_lol:, sounds just like the way my Wife buys shoes - falls over, blames her shoes and then immediately goes about buying a new pair!!! :icon_rolleyes::icon_wink::icon_lol:

If the problem existed before you upgraded then it could be software but give your ISP a call anyway as it does sound like a problem I have had before and they gave me a temporary proxy to point at and every site worked fine again!

Dee
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Your wife knows what she is doing!!:icon_razz: I knew my router was playing up because it would work in 1 connection for a while...get fed up and stop working...but would work in the next one...and so on....I need something that works despite being owned by me...I don't do fickle!:icon_twisted: :icon_lol:

When I logged on today...what should pop up in the tray but the nvidea firewall...set on anti-hacking....so I now guess I have at least 3 working....belt buckle and braces...and a bit of string...and maybe a safety pin or two to boot!....:icon_redface: :help:

Dee
01-09-2007, 01:43 AM
What's happening? There were only 18 users on when I got this message....
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at amdusers.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Surely not this one too!?:sad5:

NVM
01-09-2007, 01:52 AM
lol, it was down for a few minutes for everybody i think..

Dee
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
lol, it was down for a few minutes for everybody i think..
It must have been a couple of times them...because when I woke up this morning and tried to get in to reply...it was the same message! It seems ok now though! Phew!:icon_rolleyes:

Dee
01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Give this guy a prize!!!
I can see PCWORLD!! In the UK!!

It was the Nvidea firewall...set for anti hackers only...in the end I went through all my firewalls, turning them off and checking the PCW site, then turned them back on again, one at a time....until I got to the Nvidea one...when it worked! So I checked I can visit no matter which browser I use...and I can!! Thanks guys...all of you! I am so pleased the problem is solved....and I've learnt a bit more about how it happens too!
Oh...and I've pressed the red button for all of you!:)

NVM
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
lol...good for you. :)

Dee
01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks NVM! My only worry now is - are 3 firewalls enough?:icon_twisted:

Strongbow
01-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh...and I've pressed the red button for all of you!:)

What red button??? ...not this one I hope : http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/# :icon_lol: (http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/#)

Dee
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
What red button??? ...not this one I hope : http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/# :icon_lol: (http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/#)

I tried...but Firefox wouldn't let me...so I thought..p'rhaps not!:icon_twisted::icon_razz:

Dee
01-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh...I don't believe it...they've closed the site for maintenance!!!!:icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_r edface::icon_redface:
Do you think I should tell them it was my fault? :shocked: