PDA

View Full Version : My AMD64 died

Lagu
01-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Have any notised any decreace in points in D2OL? Here is the reason:

On Friday I had just installed Works 7.0 on it and sat and wrote words in Works to see how it worked. Well it was OK. It is much likely MS Office and I leave the computer for a coffee intake. During the intake the incomprehensible happened: the Athlon began to dump the memory (blue screen). Bad file: NTFS.sys. Normally it shall go from 1 to 100 then the computer will restart but it stopped after 25 steps and then shouted off. I started the computer again and come to fail-safe position during the start up where I should use DEL to open the BIOS setup. I did that but I wasn’t sure what to do. After a while the computer shouted off again. Started again and when I should write my password it shouted down. More dumps as never reached 100. As highest 28 then the computer shouted off.:-(

Now the Athlon is in the shop. I told the guy perhaps the HDD has been damaged or the motherboard is corrupt.

Have any of you had experience as above and what was wrong?

Steve Lux
01-21-2007, 12:16 PM
That sounds like something that happened to an ASUS board I had bought. The heat sink had come loose from the BIOS. When the BIOS heated up the computer would lock up. The amount of time varied, but it couldn't seem to make it through the boot-up (post) process.

DMMc
01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I've had two 64 systems that have done the same but it was bad memory. Have had the Asus board issue that's why I usally go with MSI...

NVM
01-21-2007, 02:49 PM
yup, sounds like only the memory, hopefully! and i certainly noticed your Sengent production has decreased, Lagu.. :icon_neutral:

Lagu
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
My MOBO is an ABIT KV8 Pro. Yes I have had problem with my memory. They where different. Perhaps I will buy 2x500 MB 400 MHz twin memorys. It has chown when I will owerclock to (Turbo setting) the computer always got a blue screen and shouted off.:)

Lagu
01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
yup, sounds like only the memory, hopefully! and i certainly noticed your Sengent production has decreased, Lagu.. :icon_neutral:

NVM

I only run PI Segment on my Intel on one core and D2OL on the second one. The Athlon64 only run D2OL. Of source it has decrease but I dont went down yet.:icon_wink:

Lagu
01-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank you all for your input. I will E-mail the guy and tell him he shall test new memorys and see if the computer will power up. :)

Lagu
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I have visited my reseller and he had got my AMD to power up again. “What was wrong I asked?” “It was the motherboard he said” “Why I asked?” “It can happen sometimes he quoted. It is an occurrence”. I asked if he had any twin memory because every time am is trying use the Turbo setting it always failed. The 2 current memories of 500 MB each have different timings. I asked him change memory and then run the computer on Turbo settings to see if there should be any difference. “Ok, he said come back tomorrow morning after 10.00 and your computer will be ready”.:icon_rolleyes: :)

Steve Lux
01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Good luck.

Bender10
02-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I've built 4 computers on ASUS motherboards with no (knock, knock) problems yet. 2 are crunching 24/7. My current machine is an AMD64 with 2 gigs of twin pc6400, which runs Prime95 24/7 (since September 06), which is not always a memory hog.

No BSOD or Smoke. It only runs at @100-105 F at 100%. Ambient room temp is around 70F.

gparsons70
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
If your computers starts acting funny, or they start having errors remember to clean your CPU heat sinks. I've had to clean all three of my computers once I started running 24/7 because they started acting up. Once I cleaned the dust out of the heat sinks they all run great now. Bonic run the cpu's at 100% which creates heat.

vaughan
04-10-2007, 08:35 AM
My Shuttle PC died over Easter. It was running 24/7 for 15 months. On Sunday night it tripped the power circuit breaker. I had to switch on all the other computers and when I got to the Shuttle it wouldn't start. About 30mins later I tried it again and it booted to Windows. As soon as I had it DC'ing again - Wham! - power circuit tripped again. Turned everything back on except the Shuttle and the power hasn't tripped yet.

What could make a computer trip the house's RCD?

Bender10
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
That's different Vaughan. I've seen them fail, poof. Or run fine but fail when a restart is performed (ms update). I even had one vaporize (the p/s) without tripping breakers.

I just started doing my spring cleaning, one pc at a time, when Tanpaku paused. Getting all the fur balls out of the boxes (heat sinks also).

Steve Lux
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
How many computers on the circuit, and what is the rating of the circuit?

For each computer with a 500 watt (output-rated) power supply you can be pulling about 5 amps (with about an 85% effeciency rating) when fully loaded. More than likely you aren't pushing the systems with hefty video cards so you probably use only about 3 amps per system. So, if you have 5 systems on a circuit you can be pulling 15 amps. Add to that the monitors which can be pulling 1-2 amps each and any other peripheral equipment should be added to calculate the load. It may simply be that you could have one too many straws on your camel's back.

I'd also check the quality of the connection at the breaker - with the breaker turned off of course.. If it is a thermal breaker (most are) then a loose connection can get hot and make it trip even when the is circuit underloaded.

Have you tried running the Shuttle with one of the other systems turned off?

mitchellds
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Another thing to check is a faulty ground within that wire circuit back to your breakers. Another is to physically move the breaker around in the circuit breaker box. After breakers get old, they do tend to not operate up to their new state max load. Your probably operating near the shared load capacity of that given circuit. Goto to your local hardware store and pickup a wall outlet tester for a couple of clams, or use a multimeter to check for correct ground of that circuit. Also the power supply in that cruncher might not be grounding correctly to your outlet.

I was going through the same thing at my house, but its do to load on the several circuits I have in play. Exactly what Steve was saying above. I just ran 2 more 20 amp lines back to my play room and put them on separate breakers, with separate common grounds to minimize noise between all the other circuits in my house. This is a good suggested thing to do with sensitive equipment like computers and video gear.

vaughan
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Well a couple of things I did:

Shuttle is working again after I removed the ATI 9600 Pro 256 GPU and changed to using the onboard GPU.

Sydney Electricity replaced the power meters with a fancy remote access gizmo. When the sparky restored the mains power the RCD kept tripping unless he had all the breakers off and turned on the computer room's circuit first. Then he switched on the other breakers and the power stayed up. He said that RCDs get old so maybe its on the way out. I have tried getting a licensed electrician to quote me on additional power circuits but finding a tradesman who knows what he's doing hasn't been easy.