PDA

View Full Version : Vista - who is upgrading?

spikey_richie
01-28-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm considering going out and spending my hard earned cash on Vista Premium.

Who else is doing the same?

Beerknurd
01-28-2007, 04:23 AM
Maybe when I build my next PC, but I won't upgrade the one's I have...

gatekeeper53
01-28-2007, 04:41 AM
I think I'll wait for service pack 9 before I get in to much of a hurry.

spikey_richie
01-28-2007, 04:54 AM
lol - give it six months then GK

Opteron
01-28-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm with Gatekeeper53, I'm going to wait until most of the holes are plugged and bugs are squashed... If Microsoft stays true to form there will be plenty of both...

PcManiac
01-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Well, I decided, WHY WAIT? so I installed Vista Business on a secondary 40gb HD. so far it ROCKS! the Areo effect is awesome!

I guess you might wait if you have to pay for it, I am just one of those lucky guys who gets software like Server 2003 R2 both 64 and 86 for FrEeEeEeE! :icon_mrgreen:

Gotta love school! :icon_wink:

But really, if you have 2 gigs o ram, and well, I am running a 3700+, it is totally smooth! no problems so far.....

gamer007
01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna wait as well. I have a full copy of Vista ready, and I've tried it. No problems so far, except my printer is so old it's discontinued so there's no drivers for it. :(

But I'm gonna wait until security bugs and other problems are fixed as well and until most of my games work properly. I don't have a need for Vista so soon. XP is doing fine for me. :) There's also some of the programs I use that are not compatible w/ Vista yet. As well as my ATI drivers, I found the Vista drivers somewhat crappy. They really need to update it if they haven't done so.

drezha
01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
No, I'll stick with XP on my laptop because well, 1Gb and 1.6Ghz processors are nice and I want them to make the most of waht they have.

I might upgrade my main rig.
Upgrade to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn that is ;)

Seriously, I'm in no hurry. In all honesty, I'd love an all linux setup at home on my laptop and main with possibly just a windows VM for when I get stuck. But I'll stick with XP on my laptop until the 3 year warrenty runs out and I'm not looking to upgrade my main's OS. In fact, I'm considering selling my main as I no longer play PC games (xbox instead now) and only really use it as storage and with eBuyer having a 500Gb external drive for a £100, that would tide me over.

Steve Lux
01-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd rather back up to Windows 2000 and a secure firewall.

I understand that Vista has significant processor and video requirements, so I really can't see myself quickly adopting a new OS technology that might actually reduce what capacity is left for crunching.

Like others, I'll wait for several of the many traditonal MS service packs to come out first. What a kick; Microsoft has made incomplete Operating Systems and their following service packs a tradition - and we the public will pay a premium for it.

daddygeek
01-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll stay with SuSE

Windows Vista SP1 release in the second half of CY07, codename 'Fiji'

BlackAdder
01-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Hummmm.....I've run RC1 for a while and other than video drivers I like it. As far as buying it ...I'll wait until... cough...cough....I can get a w*rez version....

gamer007
01-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Hummmm.....I've run RC1 for a while and other than video drivers I like it. As far as buying it ...I'll wait until... cough...cough....I can get a w*rez version....

You can get the MSDN version. It's been leaked near the beginning of the month. :icon_wink:
Bypassing activation, that's another story. But there are several ways around it, including having your own KMS server.:icon_wink:

You may have read articles about the server several weeks ago on tech news sites.

NVM
01-29-2007, 01:23 AM

posting about stolen copyright is not cool. :icon_neutral:

Steve Lux
01-29-2007, 01:29 AM
I used to write software for 6 years. It's a lot of work for little pay compared to the hours invested. I won't use pirated software, videos or music. The closest I ever came to it was when my third Metallica (Black label) CD got scratched. Yeah, even some of us old guys like Metallica - turned onto them by my sons.

Brucifer
01-29-2007, 03:03 AM
I've gotta side with NVM and Steve Lux, as it's pretty sad to see people posting about using "hot" software here. Pretty sad indeed. I've also spent a day or two writing code for a living also. :sad5:

AMDave
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Back on thread....

I can say that I have no intention of upgrading to Vista in the foreseeable future.

I have always loved getting into the latest whizz-bang GUIs and effects etc. but I have absolutely no intention of upgrading hardware now just to see what Vista can do. It used to be that I'd grab the next upgrade in advance and kick the tyres and most of the time I'd hang on to it because it also contained some significant OS bug-fixes.

But asking me to move my last Win2K workstation to vista is out of the question and there is NO way that I am going to move my son's WinXP games machine into API incompatibility and driver-hell in a hurry.The WinXP games machine has to stay, but the Win2K workstation can boot into Linux for the final time and stay there when the Win2K support runs out.

Point-of-fact: It is cheaper at this time for me to replace the printer and scanner with linux compatible hardware than it is to go for the Vista Server version. Later on I might run a work-provided copy inside a Xen virtual machine, but until then there is no economic reason for me to upgrade and when evaluated on financial grounds it seems to be the same for many many others I know.

Whiz-bang does not win over cost in the market place.
Looks great but I think the first roll out is a bit of a flop.
No one I know is raving about it.

gatekeeper53
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Whiz-bang does not win over cost in the market place.
Looks great but I think the first roll out is a bit of a flop.
No one I know is raving about it.

I have heard a few "raving" about it and not one of them was in a good way. To be fair most of it is about the lack of drivers and having to look for them.

Brucifer
01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Back on thread....

I can say that I have no intention of upgrading to Vista in the foreseeable future.

I'm in the same mode as you on this. I've also always been into the latest, but the times they are changing. MS just costs too much. I think their model is that everyone has a spare $1,000 a year per computer to put into their OS and associated upgrades, because there will end up being more software upgrades than just Vista. The rest of the software houses will be climbing onto the vista bandwagon with new upgrades so that "you will be able to enjoy the full benefits of the vista experience." And for business the expense is just going to be astonomical.

I haven't used a windows system for my primary desktop system for a year now, so I've weaned myself away from windows.

I much prefer the UNIX way of maintaining the O/S. Patch the problems and keep improving the basic O/S. Unfortunately windows does not follow that model and prefers putting out a whole new shebang, and then each one is followed by the year or two of trying to get the issues fixed.

However this time MicroSoft's requirements of hardware upgrades for a number of computers just to be able to run Vista is going to be a show-stopper for many. I've got better things to do with my money.... GPU's for crunching, PS3's for crunching...... LOL

PcManiac
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
One of my uncles works at MS, so maybe I am slightly biased towards MS... lol. Well, I have D2OL running on my vista installation, and so far the only problems I have encountered was that I had my 3700+ at 2410mhz, and it didn't like that :(

For those of you who are getting Vista, here are my performance scores:

My computer has a Windows Experience Index score of 4.2.

Component: Subscore:
Processor: 4.2
Memory RAM: 4.7
Graphics: 5.5
Gaming Graphics: 4.7
Primary Hard Disk: 5.3

Here are how these number work:
The subscores are the result of tests run on the RAM, CPU, hard disk, general desktop graphics, and 3‑D gaming graphics hardware components of your computer. If your base score is not sufficient for a program or Windows Vista experience, you can use the subscores to help you figure out which components you need to upgrade.
The base score is a good indicator of how your computer will perform generally. The subscores can help you understand your computer's level of performance for specific experiences:
Office productivity. If you use your computer almost exclusively for office productivity experiences, such as word processing, spreadsheets, e‑mail, and web browsing, then high subscores in the CPU and memory categories are important. Subscores of 2.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the hard disk, desktop graphics, and 3‑D graphics categories.
Gaming and graphic-intensive programs. If you use your computer for games or programs that are graphic-intensive, such as digital video editing applications or realistic first-person games, then high subscores in the RAM, desktop graphics, and 3‑D gaming graphics categories are important. Subscores of 3.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the CPU and hard disk categories.
Media Center experience. If you use your computer as a media center for advanced multimedia experiences such as recording HDTV programming, then high subscores in the CPU, hard disk, and desktop graphics categories are important. Subscores of 3.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the memory and 3‑D graphics categories.I am kinda curious to see how other's computer compare to mine...

gamer007
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Interesting.

I'm thinking of reinstalling Vista to try it out again. I got a 500gb SATA II hard drive recently. I'm using my 250GB SATA hard drive as backup. :)

I also want to try out that Vista Ultimate extra called DreamScene (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=36921).

drezha
01-30-2007, 12:38 AM
I much prefer the UNIX way of maintaining the O/S. Patch the problems and keep improving the basic O/S. Unfortunately windows does not follow that model and prefers putting out a whole new shebang, and then each one is followed by the year or two of trying to get the issues fixed.

Snap.

The linux system has caught me now. Firmly entrapted. If I want to play games, I have an Xbox. (Not high tech but good enough for me! Espcially modded)

Consumed by linux, I even have to run a Vmware image on my Xp laptop so I can carry on using it.

gamer007
01-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Strange. Just tried installing my copy of Windows Vista. Didn't work. I choose Vista from the boot screen and just stays blank and the HDD light stays on. Couldn't go into the Advanced Bootup Options either. It worked on my friends 40GB IDE hard drive though.

Ah well, I'll just buy the OEM version [Upgrade doesn't let you make a clean install, you have to upgrade] when bugs and stuff are fixed. No need to rush into a new OS.

gatekeeper53
01-30-2007, 02:00 AM
LOL they're still fixing the bugs in XP.

Opteron
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
My point exactly...

Lagu
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Aftonbladet (Sweden’s Daily Newspaper) announced today the release of MS Vista and the price of the 3 different OS.

Vista Home Basic: 2,500 Sek=$358,70
Upgradeable version: 1,200 Sek=$172,20

Vista Home Premium: 2,900 Sek=$416,10
Upgradeable version: 1,900 Sek=$272,60

Vista Ultimate: 4,900 Sek=$703,05:shocked:
Upgradeable version: 3,200 Sek=$459,15

I think Home Basic is similar to XP Home. Of my 4 computers I can only upgrade my newest Intel and the AMD Athlon64 because both has at least 1 GB RAM.

But in my eyes XP is the best OS so far. Vista is made for peoples as hear and will listen on music and watch films. XP Home is for me enough so far. I will as you other wait for bug fixing and perhaps buy the second version.

Microsoft has extended their support of XP to 2008. They will we shall buy Vista instead but it will be costly. 2 upgradeable versions of Vista Home costs 3,800 Swedish crowns whish is a lot of money. But I guess Vista cost lot of money in every country. It plays no role where we live.

If we buy a new computer with OEM version of Vista Ultimate the total costs for the whole computer will be expansive I guess. More memory and stronger graphics card can’t be so cheap.

Am wrong if I guess you as have many computers will buy 1 Vista Home/Ultimate and install them on all your computers?:icon_wink: I have had XP Professional once a time as was burned and I installed it but I couldn’t update this OS because it was a pirate copy. I uninstalled it because I got an unpleasant feeling. I’m too honest I think.:icon_rolleyes:

Keith75
01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I was really excited to get Vista and ran versions of the RC-1 on my machine before finally switching back to XP. Vista seemed to work pretty good but it was harder to do simple things and it seemed like it wasn't as intuitive. Using it for a few months actually cured me of any desire to rush out and get it. I only plan to get it when DX10 games start rolling out.

Keith

PcManiac
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I only plan to get it when DX10 games start rolling out.

Keith

I so can't wait for DX10 games! I saw some demos of what they will sorta look like, and it is unbelievable! :icon_mrgreen:

As for costs, you can buy the home version for $95 USD at newegg I think it was... so it is like the same cost as XP home, although I would recommend getting at least Business for $150, more features...

gamer007
01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I so can't wait for DX10 games! I saw some demos of what they will sorta look like, and it is unbelievable! :icon_mrgreen:

As for costs, you can buy the home version for $95 USD at newegg I think it was... so it is like the same cost as XP home, although I would recommend getting at least Business for $150, more features...

Same here! I'll get Vista when the games come out as well as ATI's DX10 card. I've been thinking of either getting home premium or ultimate later this year. I just hope HP has made drivers for my old [possibly discontinued] printer. :(

Keith75
01-31-2007, 01:19 AM
I am getting one upgrade to Vista Ultimate so I can take advantage of their deal giving me two additional full copies of Home Premium for $50 a piece. That deal ends in June.

Keith

NVM
01-31-2007, 02:59 AM
......:icon_wink:

Brucifer
01-31-2007, 04:52 AM
pretty good! :)

Lagu
01-31-2007, 07:51 AM
You are lucky boys. Vista is much cheaper in other countries than Sweden. Even parts are cheaper. I don’t understand why. I will be ruined and will live of water and bread.:(

AMDave
01-31-2007, 08:08 AM
The price will come down in time.
In Brisbane most of the advertising only shows the Academic or Upgrade prices.
I have not yet found a brochure that shows a New Install price.
I guess they are trying to keep the SHOCK to a minimum.
Today I have read that there are already new AntiTrust suits being filed against M$ about software parts included in Vista.

I may not be upgrading to it myself, but I'm going to have to support it sooner rather than later so I'll have to catch up with it again.

The last build I saw live was 5270 and back then there were some particular gripes I was interested in which M$ was going to concentrate on fixing for the final release version.

Can someone please tell me the Build# that you are getting on the Install disk? Thanks.

AMDave
01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
LOL Nice find NVM

Keith75
01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Last build I used was 5700.

AMDave
02-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks Keith. That is a very important combination of digits.

Nick
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Well i have and used Vista RC1 which the licence runs out in june:icon_rolleyes: and i am still getting high prioity updates for it.
Which means its go big holes in the op

It look like the icons and wigdets that microsoft have used have come from Mac Os:icon_rolleyes:
The upgading system looks like it came from a Mac to:icon_rolleyes:
God is Microsoft turning all Mac now

For me i think ill leave this one in the box until at least Windows XP expires:icon_razz:

vaughan
02-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I saw Vista Ultimate new install for sale at Officeworks in Sydney yesterday for AU$750 :icon_mrgreen:

Sleepsalot
02-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Well I have 10 licenses for Business upgrade through the MS Partners Program But don't have any machines that have the resources to run it well right now.

Wayne

spikey_richie
02-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Well I have 10 licenses for Business upgrade through the MS Partners Program But don't have any machines that have the resources to run it well right now.

Wayne

I'll take one ;)

Scooter
02-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Last build I used was 5600.

Last one I tried was 5744

gamer007
02-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Wayne
I'll take 1 too. :icon_razz:

Last version I used was RTM.

Bender10
02-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I use windows x64 (I need xp for an online game). other than that, I still have w2k on all machines except my wife's confuser (xp) so she can vpn into werk.

I cruise the internet on Ubuntu.

Evil-Dragon
02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll upgrade to Vista for 1 reason (and it's not one i like)

BECAUSE THEY FORCED PEOPLE TO BUY IT FOR DIRECTX 10! :( :(

Now in order to upgrade to Vista all i need is your donations to the "Poor Evil-Dragon unemployed fund" or the "Evil-Dragon can't get someone to give him an IT job fund"

Many thanks :D

spikey_richie
02-07-2007, 10:31 PM
No IT jobs in Brum? That sucks! Are you registered on stepstone etc..?

Evil-Dragon
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Yep registered with Totaljobs (aka Stepstone)

It's not that there isn't any I.T. jobs, it's that no one wants to give me a chance. I get loads of calls from recruiters, really positive stuff however it usually ends in dead ends with either no outcome or thanks for applying but no thanks.

Thing is, i'm no idiot. I did 6 years in legal I.T. and have been working with computers since 10 years of age. The problem is job saturation here, everyone jumped on the I.T. bandwagon and the market got swamped.

spikey_richie
02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah I feel ya bro, hence me coming to the USA.

Have you tried looking a little further a field? Like Solihull, Telford, Walsall etc...?

PcManiac
02-09-2007, 03:02 AM
The price will come down in time.

The last build I saw live was 5270 and back then there were some particular gripes I was interested in which M$ was going to concentrate on fixing for the final release version.

Can someone please tell me the Build# that you are getting on the Install disk? Thanks.

Hey, mine is 6000, if that helps any...
:edit: 6.0.6000 to be exact :)