PDA

View Full Version : Seti BOINC is back up ...(ed.) or is it ?

AMDave
07-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Seti BOINC is back up but the Team Search is still offline.
Yes they are still having some troubles - BOINC 3.07 gets positive RPC responses but no work units. BOINC 3.19 (Thanks for the tip guys) is now available. I have downloaded it and will see how it goes.

In the mean time - who will reactivate the team in the new project, Vaughan ?

I've stopped contributing to seti classic as we have been concentrating on D2OL.
I did read some rules about re-activating Teams in the forums.
I don't see Kiloman, previous founder anywhere, do you have a new tag ?
The forum says that the Team can be taken over by option.
Could our illustrious site managers and senior members have a crack at this and let us know ?

Cheers.
Assie Dave.

vaughan
07-04-2004, 05:50 AM
OK, I just d/l Seti BOINC but Predictor wants to run instead. Is it OK to detach it? Seti says its trying to connect but will retry in 10 minutes.
I'll have a go at the leader role; in seti classic our founder left AMD Users years ago and has never been back to see how their team has progressed.

AMDave
07-04-2004, 06:25 AM
Sorry mate.
I just tried toupdate SETI but now get the message the the "Project is down for maintenance" again.

One of the forum messages said something about Detaching & re-attaching to resume the processing if you had any trouble after a BOINC upgrade. I just tried it and the Seti server back end will not recognise my Account ID. Recommend you leave all as is for the time being.

On the other hand I gota ton of predictor work. Now Predictor gets 100% on that PC. (Should make BC smile)

Obviously the aprehension in the notes on July 2nd on SetiBOINC front page had more to them than they wished. I.ll keep an eye on this.

BTW - whilst BOINC allows you to run many projects and you can have a team in each project...have you / anyone heard anymore about the BOINC proposal for a BOINC site that combines all your cobblestones ?

The BOINC platforms have been down too much to find out more about this.

AMDave
07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
vaughan,

an update for you...amidst the rain of bouncing project hail, SetiBOINC managed to accept my ATTACH request the other day and fed down 2 units to complete. Then it went off the air again - web site & project servers were down.

Since then, both units have been completed (amidst those of Predictor - go on BC you can smile now) AND the database has accepted the upload again.

The web site has been up again long enough for me to establish that they appear to have fixed the Team Index problems and I was able to trawl through the teams (page by page) to where I was able to grab the URL to our team (the Team Lookup search tool is still offline):
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=31777

The snapshot was taken before I hooked up to the team so I had to join again. (The forum is making noises about another update to the stats but I don't think that will happen unless they turn off Classic).

It is amazing how many active team there are in there already.

BOINC 3.19 seems to be working very cleanly. It's footprint is smaller & I think they have removed a lot of the Beta-debug code.

The website will not show an idividuals results at the moment so I have not yet confirmed that the uploads registered correctly, but as it is offline, this may take several days as the servers catch up on the back log again.

Each time the project comes back up there appears to be little things that have improved or fix or are now working. They will get there.

Anyway, there you have it, just in case you were interested.

In the mean time - and this is just for you vaughan
"GO YOU CANE TOADS !" :twisted:
(our interstate Rugby match is on *now* so I'm off ...)

BC
07-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Seti BOINC is back up but the Team Search is still offline.
Yes they are still having some troubles - BOINC 3.07 gets positive RPC responses but no work units. BOINC 3.19 (Thanks for the tip guys) is now available. I have downloaded it and will see how it goes.

In the mean time - who will reactivate the team in the new project, Vaughan ?

FYI guys: I have an inside track and 3.20 is about to be available... BIGTIME fixes, LONG LONG LONG overdue are in.

Remember I have pure boinc_319.zip at my web site for those who want it as it is....

3.20 will fix the bulk of the zero-credit / bad credit problems and (if I am reading correctly) put it as a service instead of a regular application... this will aid in its stability and will 100% stop the -110 errors that so many got with Seti AND Predictor... the GUI will be 'just a gui' (one of the Alpha team guys helped with that a lot).

Once 3.20 is proven ok, and if desired, I will post it up for us to grab. Please let me know.

Anyone needing/wanting 3.19 as it stands (it beats 3.07 by a mile) is welcome to it.. it is the official, released version. Simply PM me and I'll give the URL if you haven't found it here already.

BC.