PDA

View Full Version : AMD see a bigger slice of the cake

spikey_richie
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
"Relax, this isn’t about Advanced Micro Devices Inc. beating the Core 2 Duo. After gaining slightly more than 2% in both desktops and notebooks, AMD has broken its own record by capturing 25.3% of the $29.5 billion x86 market in the last quarter of 2006, according to a report released by Arizona PC market watcher Mercury Research. "Intel has had lower [quarterly] shares than this, but this is the lowest since late 1995," said Dean McCarron, principal of Mercury Research. McCarron noted that Intel expanded its server share by slightly more than 1% in the same period. AMD's gains came from first-time design wins in servers, notebooks and desktops from Dell, servers from Gateway as well as more design wins from IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Sun."

http://i.cmpnet.com/eet/news/07/01/NEWS1461_AMDSHARE_PG_17.gif

Steve Lux
02-05-2007, 09:42 PM
That looks like good news for AMD, then. However, when I see computer adds the vast majority have Intel processors. I'd like to see AMD get a bit more of the market.

spikey_richie
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I think Dell are expanding their range but until they bring out another titan to battle these Core Duo they'll be in the lime-light.