PDA

View Full Version : PcManiac loses computers ....

PcManiac
02-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Well, tomorrow my little fleet of AMD's is going bye bye ... :-(

they were all running in a computer lab room for a 4H group called Computer Wizards. but now, alas, they are being moved out of my hands into another group, and well, maybe if I am lucky, they will keep BOINC running :icon_lol:

but, I think I am going to lose 2nd for total and 3rd for RAC pretty soon:sad5:

It was great while it lasted!

Farewell my little athlons, I will miss you.

vaughan
02-08-2007, 05:42 AM
That's a shame. Can you come and visit them in the other computer lab?

spikey_richie
02-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Maybe they'll replace them with some shiny new ones? :)

PcManiac
02-09-2007, 03:00 AM
lol, I might be able to visit them for old times sake ... :P. I am afraid that when the new ones come in, they will be locked down too tight from the school district .... but you know, there are ways around anything ... :D

NVM
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
here's a favourite trick of mine. i usually go to the mall on weekends and borg the online computers that are for sale but are only demo machines. i go to Radio Shack(now the Source), and places like BestBuy etc.. bare in mind these machines are clogged up with downloaded programs by all kinds of people, but mostly kids . they are there to try out, play with, generally abuse...lol.

almost every single point i have in DNET was aquired this way.(i only install clients/projects that run as a service).i can download and install DNET as a service in about 150 seconds,as i keep track of it.

the bad news is is that the machine get exchanged/sold off and if i don't keep up, my production suffers, like i am right now. so, off to the mall tomorrow! :icon_mrgreen:

Ototero
02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I love it, you cheeky bas***d.

Hermann
02-11-2007, 03:22 AM
I found this message in the forum:

NVM
02-12-2007, 12:16 AM
i went to the mall today, but unfortunately i could only take advantage of one machine.i think it was only a Sempron based unit.better than a Celeron i suppose. oh well, at least i'm back onto DNET. :icon_wink:

AMDave
02-12-2007, 09:45 AM
A champion borg'er.
Well done NVM!

NVM
02-14-2007, 02:02 AM
wow. just got some borged in DNET points from Sunday's "raid"...lol

vaughan
02-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Nice work NVM. :)

Steve Lux
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I stuck D2OL on a USB ram stick and plugged it in and ran it on my highly fire-walled "no premissions to add anything" system at work. It runs even though it gives me a firewall alert.

I'm bring the USB ram home every day or few and plugging it into my system here to dump the work. The process seems to work fine. Doesn't seem to upload results from work, but it will download tasks. Funny since firewalls are supposed to protect both ways.

PcManiac
02-17-2007, 07:07 AM
I wish that the computers at places like Best Buy or compucare were connected to the internet! around here, they aren't :( ... hmmm, I am going to be on the outlook though :D