PDA

View Full Version : 5 inches an hour !

Nflight
02-10-2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/

or this link:
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=TYX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Both new members Bender10 and Scooter aren't too far away from this mess called too much snow!

Bender10
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
It should pass a little south of me (if I stay home). My plans for today are to head south and have some fun? Ice Fishing! A buddy just invited me last night. I haven't been in a couple of years. No computer werk today, Woo Hoo.

Pictures at 11.....

Oh yeah, it's around 0 F right now. Gotta run. Pack the truck, warm clothes, (junk) food, favorite beverage(s), warm clothes, idiot stick, electric bun warmer, camera, more warm clothes.....

Ototero
02-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Enjoy. Personally, I think you're mad.

Cold or Warm
Warm or Cold

For me it's a no-brainer :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

gatekeeper53
02-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Wish I were going with you. I might take the boat out later, over by the power plant, if the ramp isn't to iced in.

Scooter
02-10-2007, 12:23 PM
its not snowing here its staying about 2 hours to my west so I get to miss it.....or so they say

Nflight
02-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I did not want to give exact locations of you two. I just wanted to point out that your close and the snow keeps falling and falling and falling. But the ice fishing for me is fun, I went at 10°F below zero a few years back in Presque Isle in Maine. It gets so cold you drive your personal pickup truck out onto the lake towing your fishing shack, stop the truck drill the whole through sometimes 3 feet thick Ice and remember to load the Shack with the Beer, the fishing sticks and away you go. We had more luxuries though we cheated, we had lights and a television set as it was the Daytona 500 showing, so either the fish were biting or we had the TV and the beer to keep us distracted. Women don't normally ice fish, something about the chill they can't handle!

NeoGen
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
An odd thing I've heard about places where it's really cold, is that people have to leave their cars working during the night or else the gas and other fluids will freeze in the engine. That must be funny... :icon_razz:
Never saw something like that over here as our temps rarely go below 0ºC. (water freezing point)

Bender10
02-11-2007, 12:59 AM
I Survived!

We also cheat when we Ice Fish. Both myself and my buddy Joe, each have wooden portable fishing shacks. Joe also has a canvas folding shack. We used that today. Along with an Aladdin kerosene (paraffin?) heater. I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon yesterday. I like being warm a whole lot more than being cold. But then again, I also dive in the winter (35 F water) with a little help from those wonderful people in Trellenborg, Sweden (Viking Dry Suits).

The pictures will come later. My data cable for my camera is at my old house (moved a month ago). I'll try and find it tomorrow...

Lagu
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I Survived!

We also cheat when we Ice Fish. Both myself and my buddy Joe, each have wooden portable fishing shacks. Joe also has a canvas folding shack. We used that today. Along with an Aladdin kerosene (paraffin?) heater. I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon yesterday. I like being warm a whole lot more than being cold. But then again, I also dive in the winter (35 F water) with a little help from those wonderful people in Trellenborg, Sweden (Viking Dry Suits).

The pictures will come later. My data cable for my camera is at my old house (moved a month ago). I'll try and find it tomorrow...

Bender 10. I´m from Sweden and you have misspelled the name. Right name is Trelleborg.:icon_wink: May I ask where you have meet these peoples?

Lagu:)

NVM
02-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Lagu, he only said his diving suit is made there.

http://www.trelleborg.com/protective/template/T036.asp?id=509&lang=2

Bender10
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Yup,

Sorry, I 'FAT' fingered the spelling...b/n too close together.

Just own the dry suit (great product).

I have done all the neat stuff: sar, underwater archaeology, divemaster, evidence recovery, teaching....

Bender10
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Here are the photo's from the Fishing Expedition on Saturday. I resized these for ease of download (8x10's available on request). I was too busy relaxing to remember to take any candid photo's. But I did snap these

This is a good shot of my feet and our heater...

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9732/p1290063rk6.jpg

Here I am catching up on my email during a lull in the action...

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6494/p1290066ir8.jpg

Here is our accommodation for the day.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2954/p1290068ci2.jpg

We are 200 yards from dry land, and beyond any hope of rescue (I forgot my Schnapps!!!).

This an inland lake. We are fishing in about 6 feet of water. There is 8 inches of ice under us.

Ototero
02-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Bender, you are quite mad! :5cold::5cold:

Nflight
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Scooter and Bender10 are now both inundated with the white stuff this morning. Our snow storm from the south is now yours to deal with, Happy Shoveling! :icon_wink: :sad5:

vaughan
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
They showed footage on our TV news tonight. Pretty impressive dose of white stuff :)

How does that translate into mm of water? We need some here to fill our empty dams.

gatekeeper53
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Vaughn,
If you count the 2.25 inches of rain we had before the ice and snow we got 88.9 mm of water total

Scooter
02-14-2007, 10:46 AM
They say we should get 24-30 inches of snow and 30 mph winds.... and im not planning on shoveling im waiting till its over then getting it plowed......

gatekeeper53
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I threw the shovel away!! If I have to I'm prepared to wail until spring to go out without walking on it lol Till then I'll just park the 4 wheeler closer to the porch.

Nflight
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
IT is currently raining quite hard here, the air temperature has risen some 12 degrees since 4 AM when I last posted. The road is now turning brown slush, and the trees are breaking the encrusted shroud they had on this morning. The ice covered the trees and they were weeping quite a bit when it was raining pretty hard this morning at 4AM at 20°F. NOW the trees have returned some what and the rain continues, they told me on the NWS station at State College PA (I happen to be on the SkyWarn Spotters crew) that instead of rain we were going to get large amounts of snow. Mother Nature is in charge not the men and women of the NWS.
I had two appt.'s today I canceled the one but I might be able to make the other @ 1:30PM today if it continues to rain like it is!
Anyone else want to report on the blinding weather of the North Eastern United States.

Scooter
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I will give my report from the far northern part of New York State....we have gotten about 10 inches of snow so far since i woke up about 8 hours ago with alot more coming(if you believe the weatherman)!!! Temp is holding at a steady 4 F (-15 C)

Bender10
02-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I predict that northern NY/VT will get large amounts of snow today, followed by widely scattered darkness towards evening.

Does this qualify me as a weatherman now?

gatekeeper53
02-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Nope to good of a chance of your being correct

ausable1
02-15-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm about an hour south of Oswego NY, we got hammered today with the white stuff. Plowed the driveway twice.... But hey, It's winter right?

Beerknurd
02-15-2007, 02:33 AM
It snowed here today!!! It snowed for like 30 minutes!! None of it stuck to the ground though... :(