PDA

View Full Version : Unreachable

vaughan
02-15-2007, 05:57 AM
I haven't been able to upload completed tasks or reach the website for the last day or so. Anybody else having this issue? According to Bok's stats DMMc and Alex64 are reporting results.

AMDave
02-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Links are all dead for me too.
Looks like the main server is down.
The stats file could have been up to 1 hour old and may have had data for just a couple of updates returned between the last two snapshots.
Stats appear to be showing a delay now.

Lars and Brian will be all over it.
Hope they didn't get slammed by the latest round of viruses.
They have a great backup and fail-over strategy so they should be up and running again soon with minimal loss.
I am sure one of them will drop by when they have a moment.

bryanRS
02-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Vaughan, AMDave, & Others:

I'm posting this at 11:20 ET / 04:20 UTC - if anyone gets this in the next hour or so, if you could post here and/or hop into an irc.freenode.net chat (#rieselsieve), hopefully we can debug this. I'm getting reports of problems from Australia only, which is affecting a number of users. Any help in troubleshooting anyone can provide would be extremely helpful.

On the good news side of things, I do have a new Linux app that I'm going to do some final tests on & push out to the clients tonight. We will also have, for the first time, a PPC64/Linux client.

Bryan

AMDave
02-17-2007, 05:28 AM
bryan advises on IRC that a problem has been found and a fault has been logged with the offending ISP. which is failing to transmit some traffic to and from Australia.

A contingency plan may be devised if the ISP fails to fix the problem.

vaughan
02-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Its 5:30pm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time here.

Thanks AMDave.

I have never managed to get IRC or mIRC to work here.

vaughan
02-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I have e-mailed PortalAccess@Level3.com asking them why they are blocking internet traffic between Australia and boinc.rieselsieve.com

bryanRS
02-18-2007, 05:24 AM
While by no means a permanent solution, could someone please try setting an HTTP Proxy in their BOINC Client:

Host: http://dc.rieselsieve.com (http://dc.rieselsieve.com/)
Port: 81 (is there a better one than 80 that will meet people's needs, if 81 doesn't work?)
User: boinc
password: boinc

Don't worry, it's not an open HTTP proxy, it only allows access to boinc.rieselsieve.com. Please let me know if your attempt works or if you get some kind of error. It's on a completely different ISP that we've tested connectability to Australia.

vaughan
02-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Didn't work for me.:(

AMDave
02-18-2007, 08:29 AM
my tracert still dies on their node.
I see by the history of the troubled IP address that it may have been hi-jacked before.
If so, then it looks like very poor performance from Level3.

I have sent them an email also asking for a "Please explain"

/-ed
The proxy works on 80 for the web pages, but 81 is not working for BOINC
I am on irc but project admin time is 4am. Best let them sleep ;)
ed-/

AMDave
02-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Further investigation shows that the ip address of the interrupting node shown in my tracert belongs to cogentco.com
I have sent an email to support@cogentco.com asking if they can investigate the blocking of RieselSieve.

AMDave
02-18-2007, 09:47 AM
If anyone State-side wants to escalate this:

FOR URGENT SERVICE AFFECTING ISSUES, PLEASE CALL COGENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY AT THE NUMBER BELOW AND REFERENCE TICKET NUMBER <<<number SNIPPED by AMDave as docket closed with this ISP>>>>.

Thank you,
Cogent Customer Support
support@cogentco.com
1-877-7Cogent//1-877-726-4368

vaughan
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I got some to report - finally - using the proxy setting.

Thanks Bryan.:)

AMDave
02-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I got an email back from cogent telling me to contact admin at www.rieselsieve.com
helpdesk lingo for "It's not my problem. Talk to someone who cares"
So I sent them another email which shows their servers are the last hop & cc'd it to b2.
Of course the email bounced back from b2's email address

...reason: 553 sorry, relaying denied from your location...
so I then sent that message back to cogent as well.
waiting for the reply atm, hopefully in the next hour otherwise I'll have to follow up after work tomorrow.

AMDave
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
cogent have replied and provided tracrt text of their own
it appears that their their network handoff point is not the problem
it is not being accepted by the reciever "Current Communications" in Cincinnati, OH.
I have forwarded the email trail to their admin and also their support line at info@currentcomm.net.

PS -
Cogent were impressively fast about looking into that BTW. and fed back information to boot. Nice job by that handler.
I.T.M.T. Level3 have not bothered to reply. Phthphthpht! They are not my ISP and with that comparison of service never will be so what do I care?

AMDave
02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Unable to raise brian or b2 atm on irc to tranfer info
emails not getting thru from Oz
the proxy web site is good for the stats page only
the forum is not accessible

Bryan,
237-199-8-8-arpa.cust.cinci.current.net (8.8.199.237)
is the offending network node failing to accept some (ie Australian) packets from
p2-0.ca01.cvg01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.202]
The current.net / currentcomm.net handler is busy or not available atm.
I have sent 2 messages but must now sign off.

/-ed
sent follow up asking current.net to contact b2 asap.
g'night
ed-/

AMDave
02-18-2007, 02:20 PM
thanks to brian|geeknik for the email relay to b2 on irc.
champion!

AMDave
02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Level3 replied to my email.
I gave them some info.
I'm pretty sure they'll identify the same node at current.net tho.
Don't know what current.com said to b2 yet, but the IP and email problem still exists at the same internet node.

AMDave
02-20-2007, 10:58 AM
vaughan was the Level3 tracert yours or host-side?
if yours can you PM me a tracert.
The handler at Level3 just asked me for it but b2 and bryan are still zzz. Thx.

AMDave
02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
3rd party tracert identifying Level3 as last hop before fail located and forwarded to the handler on duty at Level3.
test results pending.

AMDave
02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
technical discussion with b2
specialized hardware support referenced
5 minute hardware test in about 2 hours

basically we are eliminating components from both ends at the same time

bryanRS
02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Vaughan,

Lee is working with Current.net - and others are working with/through their ISPs to get this resolved. Sorry I couldn't email you sooner - my personal website connects to my school email and outbound email is filtered - I don't think it would believe I have any parents that live in Australia & send students to the US :)

Still no official word, although I know 4.78.216.2 is either the problem or the node right before the problem. Hopefully a fix is right around the corner.

Bryan

vaughan
02-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks Bryan.

bryanRS
02-21-2007, 04:30 AM
I just talked with Lee - the current.net techs are working on the problem, which unfortunately still isn't pinpointed in the network. The NOC is working on it, however.

vaughan
02-21-2007, 06:57 AM
I hope something happens soon as Bok's stats predicts that DMMc and Fish turn me to roadkill in 63.5 and 75.5 days respectively :icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

I'd better start building some more 'puters ASAP. :icon_wink:

bryanRS
02-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Getting word from B@A that work is flowing again & things are getting through. Any luck Vaughan?

vaughan
02-27-2007, 04:58 AM
Yes thanks Bryan. I have unclicked the http proxy I was using to connect. It was very slow, as in 0.02 kbps but better than nothing I guess.

Now I have an open connection its time to chase Bok who has been running way too fast :icon_twisted:

My tracert today didn't end with "destination unreachable". Instead it said "Request timed out" for the last 14 hops from currentcommunications.demarc.cogentco.com

AMDave
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Werkin fine for me in BrisVegas.
Thanks BryanUC & B2_Riesel & RieselCat ;)