PDA

View Full Version : AMD Testimonial

BC
07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
You guys are NOT going to believe this!!!!

My Clawhammer (A64 3200+) normally runs at 37C (99F) under full load.

While working with the BIOS, I accidentially enabled Q-fan without installing the driver.

The CPU temp rose to 130F and was running at that temp for at least 30 minutes without even flinching. I disabled Q-fan in the BIOS until I could find the driver (which turns the fan back up to normal speed) and the temp immediately came back to where it belongs...

I KNOW my P4 would FRY if it went that up 40+F for that long...

Thank God for AMD!

em99010pepe
07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Now you can fry some eggs on it.

BC
07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Now you can fry some eggs on it.

HA HA HA.... I could fry something else!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

BC

Ototero
07-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Yesterday my amd2000+ shutdown with a cpu temp of 77C. It normally runs at 69-71C.

I might just buy a new fan and some silver toothpaste.

BC
07-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Yesterday my amd2000+ shutdown with a cpu temp of 77C. It normally runs at 69-71C.

Thermal-take coolers and Artic Silver-5... the ONLY way to go....

Trust me!

A1357 exhaust fan.
A1838 for A64 & Opteron, or whatever Volcano (?)# is the match for XP's (K7).

BC

BC
07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
How many use the quiet-mode for the CPU fan?

I don't. I've found the T-takes are so quiet at full speed
I cannot hear them . The PC is in my room with me.
I hear the hard drive(s) or CD(s) before I hear the CPU fan... so I
let it run full speed all the time.

I have 550 watts of power from the supply. (Antec 550TruePower)
( 6 HD's, 2 burners, 5 PCI, and that 67C Radeon 9800 XT )

The chassis is 85F (31C) all the time. The CPU is 97-101F (40C-42C)

BC

Ototero
07-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Thanks BC.

I was looking at an Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2l. Some reviewers has said a 2gig ath would run at 40C. Then I've got room to OC.

BTW, my mobo is ecs k7vmm+ which is locked from doing any OC work?

Any thoughts on that ??

BC
07-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks BC.

I was looking at an Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2l. Some reviewers has said a 2gig ath would run at 40C. Then I've got room to OC.

BTW, my mobo is ecs k7vmm+ which is locked from doing any OC work?

Any thoughts on that ??

My Athlon64 is a 2G, OC'd to 2.28 (it's max) on ASUS, even with Corsair 2-3-2-6 mem... AS-5 and the T-Take cooler (a lot of guys use Volcano I think... someone correct me if wrong).... and you should be good to go.

One suggestion... Cut out the exhaust fan holes and put the T-take cover in its place... The air flows much easier. ALso, always pull in cool air at the bottom and hot out the top back... best air flow.... fold cables nice and neatly if possible... You know, the usual tricks.

BC

AMDave
07-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Aw you guys in the north-hemi are just trying to make the rest of us jealous ;) Hope you are enjoying your summer.

I have my Duron OCd 10% and it is still running at 30 C with the "stock" fan. Maybe that's because it's 7 C in my garage/office and -2 C in the evening - and I'm in Queensland for goodness sake ! "Beautiful one day, perfect the next"

Apparently I only have to upgrade to an Intel Prescott to warm up the room and forget about summer - I think I'll just keep my jumper on, thanks and keep using my AMD *all* year round. :D

On a serious note - same as what BC said about airflow...
double check the flow of the fans - especially if they are the ones that came already in the case - others have found them going in opposite directions - more "contra" cool than "anti" cool but not very helpful.

Also you can make sure you have your box in a well shaded spot in the room and at least 10cm airflow gap around the outside of your case and never have anything hanging out over the back air vents so that the warm is not likely to flow/be pulled back around the case and into any side or bottom fans. If your case is in a compartmented desk / cupboard which may be restricting the air then it may be time for a move...

Here's a trick if you are not accident prone, or if you are (like me) then get someone else to do it :-) ... It might sound silly, but you can grab a "joss" stick or something that smolders a little and hold it near to the outside of the case and watch where the air flow goes - it can tell you volumes.
* obligatory safety disclamer *
note I am definitely not suggesting that you light papers and matches and then blame me for burning your house down - try it at your own risk

-- Dave --

Ototero
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM
The machine was running at 70C without side panels, when they were fitted, bang, 77C & shutdown.

I've already got round ide cables to improve airflow. I've got some time off soon then I'll replace the fan, install 2 @ 120 gig hard drives, 2 @ 512 ddr ram.

BC
07-08-2004, 12:56 PM
The machine was running at 70C without side panels, when they were fitted, bang, 77C & shutdown.

I've already got round ide cables to improve airflow. I've got some time off soon then I'll replace the fan, install 2 @ 120 gig hard drives, 2 @ 512 ddr ram.

You DEFINATELY need cool air in the bottom and good airflow out the back top. NOW, it is possible that your CPU-cooler compound is not right... that has happened to me before as well.... I personally would fix it all at once.

The A1357 80mm (maybe a pair if you have room) is your answer... I have two on the back and a 120mm in the bottom front.

Yes, that is a LOT of air, but still silent and it works.

I know my air flow is not the best, but it does work... should I post up pics again and mark the fans & part #'s? Would that help everyone?

BC.

jlangner
07-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I assume you mean the "Cool-n-Quiet". I know the Asus board has Q-fan as well but i don't think that needs a driver. I use it on my A64 - 3500. Big difference. Idles at 38C and without idles around 50C. I am using the stock heatsink/fan so as not to void my warranty. hehe.

BC
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
I assume you mean the "Cool-n-Quiet". I know the Asus board has Q-fan as well but i don't think that needs a driver. I use it on my A64 - 3500. Big difference. Idles at 38C and without idles around 50C. I am using the stock heatsink/fan so as not to void my warranty. hehe.

Ok... then the Q-fan is what i enabled and didn't have cool-n-quiet drivers installed (but did have that enabled as well)... the two together were not pretty... I will research this a bit for an answer.

BC

em99010pepe
07-08-2004, 08:42 PM
How can a see my CPU temperature without restarting the computer? What program do i have to install.

Sorry for this two stupid questions.

Beerknurd
07-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Don't most of the people in here have temp. gauges on the front of their boxes???

em99010pepe
07-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Don't most of the people in here have temp. gauges on the front of their boxes???

Don't forget that i live in the third world where one litre of gasoline costs $US 1.4! Sometimes we don't have money to buy what we want.

Another example:
My university is 5Km from my home and i take about 50 minutes to get there, 20min walk + 30 min bus journey.

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

WienerDog
07-08-2004, 10:37 PM
em99010pepe look for a program called MotherBoard Monitor5
also known as MBM5..........to use it all you NEED to know is your motherboard make and model
very easy to set up and use

em99010pepe
07-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I found this one: MotherBoard.Monitor5.3.4.0.+.pack.lenguajes. I'm downloading.

Thanks WienerDog.

BC
07-09-2004, 04:17 AM
How can a see my CPU temperature without restarting the computer? What program do i have to install.

Sorry for this two stupid questions.

I thought most motherboard makers had temp probe software for
their boards.... If not... there are inexpensive ones that fit in the
5 1/4" slots... Just slide the temperature probe into the cooling fins
at the center and as deep into the heatsink as possible... touch the
base of the heatsink if possible.

I use Asus Probe AND have a front display.

chaz
07-09-2004, 05:47 AM
A piece of 3" black plastic pipe found at any hardware store will do wonders for cpu temps. If you have a side mounted fan, measure the distance between the side case fan and your cpu fan, cut a piece leaving 1/4" to 3/8" clearance and glue it to the case fan. The 3" is almost the same size as a standard 80mm fan is.
This way you are blowing fresh cool unobstructed air at your cpu, and the pipe will also keep the cpu fan from being covered by wiring or ribbon cables.
If the fan came stock, and isnt quite inline with the cpu, you can just cut a slight angle to make up the difference.
I had a bunch of pics on the old Amerak site, including model numbers for high flow silent fans, but i believe they are lost now.
Also, this wont help a whole lot unless you can get the hot air out. ;)

chaz
07-09-2004, 05:52 AM

While working with the BIOS, I accidentially enabled Q-fan without installing the driver.

The CPU temp rose to 130F and was running at that temp for at least 30 minutes without even flinching. I disabled Q-fan in the BIOS until I could find the driver (which turns the fan back up to normal speed) and the temp immediately came back to where it belongs...

Thank God for AMD!

My P4E has been running 65C for about 2 weeks, Intels should throttle back to avoid catastrophe, whereas AMD's will not.
I do have another Heatsink coming though.....

chaz
07-09-2004, 06:02 AM

AMD Palomino and Tbreds wont fry till 90C, but I think your right a new fan and/or heatsink may be in order.This is a similar model of what I have been using, mine are the older SK-7's which are not offered here anymore. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-109-011&DEPA=1
This one is supposed to better yet, but I have not used one.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-109-113&DEPA=1

BC
07-09-2004, 06:05 AM

Thank God for AMD!

My P4E has been running 65C for about 2 weeks, Intels should throttle back to avoid catastrophe, whereas AMD's will not.

I'm sure your P4E will be running that hot and can sustain it...

Not to sound like a smart mouth, but what do the specs say for when the 'ProcHot' signal gets asserted and clock cycle skipping starts to occur? I think you'll find it is quite a bit lower than 65C....65C is probably the duty cycle vs heat generated balance point.... my P4B would go 'proc hot' at 45C (and that is per Intel specs) and finally balance out around 50-51C and it would stay there..... Once I got the heat out, it went back to 40C and stayed there... giving me 100% performance.

I bet if you get below prochot, whatever temp that is now, you will get more performance.

Ototero
07-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks Chaz,

I work with a guy whose is pretty much on the ball with all things OC. I'm trying to get him to join amdusers. Everyone can learn something here.

I'll be ordering my new fan and paste soon, it has to arrive AFTER my wife goes on holiday :roll: :lol: :roll: .

The new fan sucks air onto the chip, so I might try your idea of feeding it air from outside (somewhere cool)

Stu

BC
07-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Chaz,
Just got chance to check out the cooler.

Great find! Except for the mounting differences, it's like the
A64 / Opteron cooler... All copper.

Only thing I got with mine was the fan came premounted.

BC

chaz
07-09-2004, 01:05 PM

Thank God for AMD!

I'm sure your P4E will be running that hot and can sustain it...

Not to sound like a smart mouth, but what do the specs say for when the 'ProcHot' signal gets asserted and clock cycle skipping starts to occur? I think you'll find it is quite a bit lower than 65C....65C is probably the duty cycle vs heat generated balance point.... my P4B would go 'proc hot' at 45C (and that is per Intel specs) and finally balance out around 50-51C and it would stay there..... Once I got the heat out, it went back to 40C and stayed there... giving me 100% performance.

I bet if you get below prochot, whatever temp that is now, you will get more performance.

Prochot=69.1C
Thermtrip=135C

Im just squeaking by...... :D

chaz
07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
I am about to try a new heatsink on this P4, I'm moving from this Zalman (http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=35-118-102-05.jpg/35-118-102-06.JPG)
and trying a Thermaltake Spark 7 Xaser (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-106-032&DEPA=1) . Personally I dont have alot of confidence in the Thermaltake after opening the box and seeing the poor surface finish on the contact area whereas the Zalman was a mirror, but we'll see.

BC
07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
I am about to try a new heatsink on this P4, I'm moving from this Zalman (http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=35-118-102-05.jpg/35-118-102-06.JPG)
and trying a Thermaltake Spark 7 Xaser (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-106-032&DEPA=1) . Personally I dont have alot of confidence in the Thermaltake after opening the box and seeing the poor surface finish on the contact area whereas the Zalman was a mirror, but we'll see.

Chaz,
then get some 1000 grit paper and polish it a bit... takes 10-15 minutes.
I polish every cooler I get.

BC

chaz
07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
I ended up having to do that, it had a high spot in the center to start with. Once I got it lapped in, I was apalled to see that it still wasnt making good contact. I'd say about 30% max, and to the right side of center.
I pulled out the processor and laid a straightedge across it from corner to corner, and what do you know? It was not flat, loool. I had to lap the processor to get 100% contact with the heatsink. Scary huh?
The real bummer is, it only gained me about 5 degreesC in cooling anyways. So now Im down to 60C :banghead:

BC
07-10-2004, 03:18 AM
I ended up having to do that, it had a high spot in the center to start with. Once I got it lapped in, I was apalled to see that it still wasnt making good contact. I'd say about 30% max, and to the right side of center.
I pulled out the processor and laid a straightedge across it from corner to corner, and what do you know? It was not flat, loool. I had to lap the processor to get 100% contact with the heatsink. Scary huh?
The real bummer is, it only gained me about 5 degreesC in cooling anyways. So now Im down to 60C :banghead:

Lapping the processor & heatsink are not uncommon for me... I'm old fashioned like that too. I had to lapp a P4 to the point of copper showing at the corners and about 1/4" long all the way around.

Regarding the heatsink and lapping... Don't bang your head... you've done well!!! If you are using AS-5, you realize you are going to get another 2-6C over the curing cycle???

As for getting the 5C initially, that sounds about right.... I think you are right on the money and getting the same results that I tend to get.

All sounds good to me. Just be patient. :)

BC

Beerknurd
07-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Lifemapper locks up my system. I can run it, but if I even try to do anything else it freezes... What's up with that???

******Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread******

chaz
07-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Which version are you using, also is it the Command line, or the screensaver.
Some people are having problems with the new CLI 1.0.03 not exactly locking up the PC, but causing it to hang for 20-30 secs at a time.

I use CLI version 1.0.02, along with the Lifemapper packet watcher.

By the way Beerknurd, what kind or temperatures does your P4 run at?

em99010pepe
07-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Lifemapper locks up my system. I can run it, but if I even try to do anything else it freezes... What's up with that???

******Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread******

I don't understand. I don't have problems running the client on Win XP.

Beerknurd
07-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Maybe I got a bad install... I'll un-install and re-install.....

em99010pepe
07-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Run lifemapper_cmd.exe and login with your email. Then stop the program and create a shortcut to lifemapper_cmd.exe and put this in the command line or target line:

D:\****\lifemapper-i386-win-1.0.03\lifemapper_cmd.exe -p 64 -q -f -c 200

-p 64 for 9x and NT4
-p 16384 for 2K/XP