PDA

View Full Version : SATA drive labels

Brucifer
03-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Okay, messing with my first sata drive.

IDE's go by /dev/hda hdb, etc.
satas go by /dev/???????????????????????

edit: --- gee whiz. It's like /dev/sda sdb, sdc etc.

Oh well, I needed my message post count to increase anyway. :)

gatekeeper53
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Just glad we could help lol

Brucifer
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
yup! LOL

I'm laughing now, but I gotta tell you I have just bought the box from hell. I don't think I'll be dealing with that shop anymore. My network has been down all day. I also have a net connection now from charter too, which was a trip in itself. And the long and short of the box from hell.... one of the 1gb mem sticks is really hosed up. So I pulled that out and just put one stick in it, to see if I could get something loaded onto the system. I put slack 11.0 on it, and it loaded up okay. So then I went ahead and connected it to the network. Could ping the other systems on the internal net. About this time, along comes a verizon tech banging on the door as he wanted into my back yard so he could fiddle with the connection box in the backyard for a neighbors system. So he takes off and I head back inside, and voila, I can't get on the internet. I can ping around inside. Initial assumption is that the isp connection has crapped out cause the stuff inside works okay. However, can't get to the firewall...

what has happened is that there is something with the new box (gigabyte m/b) that sucks the snot out of the net.... ?? Pull out the net wire and then stuff inside can ping out. Hook it back up, and nothing can ping out. So I swapped out the netcard with a known good one. Same problem. Tried another drop cable, same thing. Put a different box in that position, and everything works great. Really strange. Well anyway, I'm back talking with the outside, and I can duplicate that problem with putting the new box on the net. So I also have slack 11.0 running on other systems on the net, running the same net cards, and no problems. So I don't really think it is the slackware 11.0. About the only thing left is that new m/b. Luckily a bunch of my systems had some loaded ogr buffers, so they got to crunch on ogr today and tonight. Anyway this has really been a PITA and a real brain teaser. I should have just ordered the stuff from Fry's and got an Asus m/b as I've had real good luck with them. But as the bumper stickers say, $hit happens. At this point I'm just glad that the network is back in business, and I found out the culprit.