PDA

View Full Version : We're about to lose #1

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi all,

Anybody notice that we're about to lose #1 team standing in this project? Less than 100k in points separate us and #2 team. It doesnt look like this project has anyones attention anymore. Anyone care? :rolleyes:

Bender10
03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm working on purging some leftover BOINC wu's from my cpu's for this Pi thing. I will put a dual core on Tanpaku. It's not much...

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
yep, I think I'll put my pc's on PI segment tonight also.

Evil-Dragon
03-15-2007, 02:57 PM
We're about to lose another place on SIMAP as well, 10,000 points separate us from being dropped to 15th place. I currently have 2 cores on SIMAP, if i take them away and put them on TANPAKU then we'll defiantly lose our position.

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Well I only asked to get a feel for the team perspective what everyone wanted to do. I have'nt run Tanpaku myself for a good while either.

To me this can again go back to our previous discussions on where as a team we want to direct our resources. After seeing the discussions recently on the PI Segment project, I thought I might help the team by switching my droids to that project.

As you point out, there are other projects that could use help also to gain or hold our positions.

Its just to bad we're not alot more coordinated in our efforts on where/when we direct our computing resources.

Bender10
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I was just thinking about the whole coordination thing also.

Me, I'm having fun!! And you guy's (girls?) are great! I'll work on (most) anything.

Ooops, time for lunch.

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
After some futher looking at the stats, we only have 4 projects that we hold #1 right now. And if we're interesting in holding our 1st we need to redirect our group efforts.

Nanohive - we look good here and are up 700k points over 2nd.
Tanpaku - we're only up about 90k points over second.
Reiselsieve - we have over a million points on 2nd.
PI Segment - we're in danger here.

Murray
03-15-2007, 03:36 PM
After some futher looking at the stats, we only have 4 projects that we hold #1 right now. And if we're interesting in holding our 1st we need to redirect our group efforts.

Nanohive - we look good here and are up 700k points over 2nd.
Tanpaku - we're only up about 90k points over second.
Reiselsieve - we have over a million points on 2nd.
PI Segment - we're in danger here.

This is how we should approach all projects when contesting number 1:)

gatekeeper53
03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
The way I look at it is we have a finite number of wu's in Pi Segment If we throw everything at it we can finish it off. I personally have a lot of time invested in Tanpaku but it'll still be there when we have Pi safely in the books. If after Pi we directed a huge blast toward Tampaku and then on to whatever is needy next. From time to time we can give other projects a short blast to keep all the balls in the air.

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
ok, heres a idea;

what about forming a group of us within our team that agree to direct some high percentage of our resources to selected projects that we vote priority #1 within this group?

What about making that group a forum/discussion group so others might catch on to this idea of really pinpointing where we point our power? Instead of just a general pleading for help in a particular project like I see all the time, this might help force things into a logical group directed effort and make our efforts more effective.

what does everyone think?

gatekeeper53
03-15-2007, 04:04 PM
I think it's a great idea!

Bender10
03-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I think this is a good idea.

There are a couple of projects that I feel attached to (as most of us do), because that's what grabbed my intrest in DC.

Other than that, I will crunch anything.

You might have something here...

Evil-Dragon
03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm going to let all my current WU's on my all my PC's finish and then put them all on Pi Segment for the time being.

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 04:31 PM
ok, lets run with this idea and see who we can get interested.

1) Anyone know how to create a new forum group?

2) Nominations for group name?
Here's my vote: "Team AMD Users Tip of the Spear"

Bender10
03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Need Admin rights for that I'm sure.

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I sent a email to the top level website admin.

Bender10
03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
"Team AMD Fusion"

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I like it.

PcManiac
03-15-2007, 06:59 PM
This does sound pretty interesting... I don't really care about my personnel score on a project, I just like to help where it is needed... even if I have to get my school buds to donate some cycles lol :D

mitchellds
03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Our web site admin SPJeff69 just email'd me and likes the idea, and is ready to hook us up when we decide on a name.

PcManiac
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Hmm, how about Team Hurricane AMD? or Team of da AMDers? nooo, how about Beyond Team AMD? no, someone with more of an imagination will have to think of one :rolleyes: :)

Bender10
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
??

Start a new link laying out the idea for the new forum?

Get input on forum name?

Need a good PR type.....

gatekeeper53
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Good Idea Bend

jmblazek
03-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like we're finally getting organized like the Aussies! I presume most of us already know about the Aussie Assaults. They definitely lead the way in making it fun. I've even participated in a few of their assaults.

Many of y'all might remember AA3, their assault on Riesel Sieve. They are very effective. Check out their latest assault AA6 on Einstein. They were even able to get the project administrator, Bruce Allen, on board. In AA5, they were swamped by L'Alliance Francophone...not by lack of effort though...simply by being outnumbered 6 to 1.

The Aussies already have polling, outreach, and recruitment down. You can check out their thread specifically for assaults at:

http://xsorbit31.com/users5/boincaustralia/index.php?board=59.0

Their home page is at:

http://www.boinc-australia.net/

It would be nice to be as organized as they are. It definitely would help us to better defend some of our #1 rankings.

Along with being more organized, we could also spend some time recruiting. The more users, the easier it is to defend more projects...and to ward off any ill-advised attempts to challenge us. :)

Currently the bleeding is slowing down with Pi Segment...but we're still bleeding.

Now, I don't have a leg to stand on since I only have one PC so have mercy on me as I over step here. I have observed that less than 10 out of our top 50 are contributing to Pi. If we were to pinch just 1 core from each of the other top 40, that would bring us even with Team Blueberry. Pinch 2 cores each and we'd have a commanding lead. Just something to think about.

As for names:
AMD Revolution
AMD Apex
AMD Chaos or Gaea or Cronus or Apollo
AMD the Continuum
AMD Q
AMD Alpha Pack
AMD Storm
AMD Strike or Strike Force or Strikers
AMD Offensive

Something along those lines. Since we're already in the AMD Users Forum, for some of those names, the "AMD" isn't that necessary.

Finally, some "fuzzy math" to think about (these are rough numbers and presumes completion rates will stay about the same). Since there is a definite end to this project...1,163,902 WU's left...all we have to do is complete 50.1% of the total WU's which is 801,821 WU's. Since there's more than two teams the actual % will be less...closer to 40% which is 640,177.

Those are overall numbers...right now AMD and Blueberry have completed 40% of the completed WU's leaving the other 60% for the other teams. If that stays the same then all we really have to complete is 50.1% of the 40% which is ~ 320728

After we reach that number, it doesn't matter what the other teams do (unless they all join forces which is highly unlikely). We are already 91,220 WU's towards that goal leaving only ~230,000 left. At our current rate of 3500 WU/day that put us ~65 days away. Unfortunately we are only 10 days away from being passed by Blueberry.

If we could just match them for 42 days then we'd be guaranteed 1st place when the project ends. If we had a burst of 10,000 WU/day then it would only be 23 days. 20,000 WU/day would only be 12 days.

20,000 WU/day is ~8.25 additional cores each from the top 40 who are not participating in Pi (total 330 additional cores). And that would only be for 12 days. Then Pi Segment would be in the books and everyone could go back to their projects or we could focus on the next threat.

Matching them for 42 days would be about 40 additional cores...1 from each of the top 40 not participating.

I hope this strikes up good conversation. I'll stop now...sorry for the short novel. :)

edit/ Any word yet on Big Z after he lost power? /edit

PcManiac
03-15-2007, 09:39 PM
ok, that is a long post... good info!

As for the name, I'll vote on something like AMD Offensive / Offense or Defensive / Defense

Evil-Dragon
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I have setup all my image sigs for every DC project on BOINC with a link to the amdusers.com site so thats my advertising done :)

Also can someone go to every BOINC project and post an advert in every forum with a Team Invite section? I'd do it but i don't know what to put and what graphics to use. That might help get some people to join our team.

spikey_richie
03-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I'll be game for that once I got my million on WCG (60k away)

I like the assault/commando/offensive names

How about working with the AMD acronym:

Assault of Massive DC'ing?

NVM
03-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Our web site admin SPJeff69 just email'd me and likes the idea, and is ready to hook us up when we decide on a name.

last team i was on we had a hidden forum that only the members of the "squad" could see. the reason of course was to plot covert assaults on other teams with them being completely unaware. i wonder if you guys would consider that too, and if spjeff is able to set it up or not. he should be able too, this is a VB board.

mitchellds
03-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Thats a interesting idea, kinda give us a change to plot our world take over special forces style.

moderna
03-16-2007, 12:56 AM
The special ops team sounds good. Can we build on our new Chinese contacts? Recruitment and "assimilation" (sorry, watching startrek) is a key to success. I enjoy the defensive efforts but attacks would be more fun.

I like the Tampaku project! I switched over to Pi because of the potential for adds to the team. and do not like to see us loose our position but the teams growth and notoriety is important.

Loren

AMD-USR_JL
03-16-2007, 02:14 AM
I am infatuated with this idea. If there are no more name entries then we need someone to start a poll, so we can vote and decide on the name.

Steve Lux
03-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Can we get a dancer with that pole? Oh, you said "poll", well that's not nearly as much fun.

mitchellds
03-16-2007, 02:53 AM
heh heh, Steve Lux you'll prob have to visit your local pole dancer establishment for that.

Anyhow, here's the name I collected below. Anyone who interested, pick one of the below and reply, and I'll tally them up through tomorrow night, and them I can reply back with the narrowed down list with the ties, and then I can reply to Jeff to setup the group with that winning name.

AMD Fusion
Hurricane AMD
Team of da AMDers
Beyond Team AMD
AMD Revolution
AMD Apex
AMD Chaos or Gaea or Cronus or Apollo
AMD the Continuum
AMD Q
AMD Alpha Pack
AMD Storm
AMD Strike
Strike Force
Strikers
AMD Offensive
Assault of Massive DC'ing

gatekeeper53
03-16-2007, 03:04 AM
AMD Storm it's not 10

Beerknurd
03-16-2007, 03:07 AM
AMD Revolution

Murray
03-16-2007, 06:00 AM
AMD Revolution

AMD Revolution! Nice one

spikey_richie
03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm going to have to say the last one lol :icon_rolleyes:

Bender10
03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
AMD Fusion

AMD-USR_JL
03-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I like the AMD Storm, but want it to be AMD Black Blizzard or AMD Cloudburst

mitchellds
03-17-2007, 05:13 AM
ok, Here's what we have, a tie between the names AMD Fusion and AMD Revolution.

Vote once more on the above, and we'll go with that as the next step and get the group created with Jeff's help. Voting closes tomorrow at 6:00 PM East Standard Time US.

PcManiac
03-17-2007, 07:12 AM
I'll vote for a combo of 2 put together: AMD Strike Force :D :D :D :D

moderna
03-17-2007, 05:00 PM
I will go with AMD revolution but I like the Srike Force idea. More aggressive.

In any case, onward.

mitchellds
03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Any last minute votes ?

Anybody ?

Steve Lux
03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I like the AMD Strike Force name.

AMD-USR_JL
03-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Yea, AMD Strike Force sounds good to me

mitchellds
03-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Ok, lets go with AMD Strike Force. That has a fine ring to it. I'll zap our Admin a email and ask for his help creating this group as the next step.

PcManiac
03-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Yay! this is fun! I can't wait to see where we go with this lol

jmblazek
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Looks like AMD Strike Force it is.

However, let's keep AMD Fusion in mind for some future use...Fusion, the production of net useable power from a fusion source.

You could also write it this way...AMD FUsion. :icon_wink:

AMD-USR_JL
03-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Any news on the Strike Force? It looks like the last post was a week ago.

Opteron
03-26-2007, 03:56 AM
ok, heres a idea;

what about forming a group of us within our team that agree to direct some high percentage of our resources to selected projects that we vote priority #1 within this group?

What about making that group a forum/discussion group so others might catch on to this idea of really pinpointing where we point our power? Instead of just a general pleading for help in a particular project like I see all the time, this might help force things into a logical group directed effort and make our efforts more effective.

what does everyone think?

The only thing I've run since I joined AMDusers is D2OL but if you want me I'm all in...

gatekeeper53
03-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Sounds ok to me.

Skuzz
03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm in (when I'm in town). Sounds like this could be fun. :icon_lol:

jmblazek
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Maybe someone should at least start a new thread for AMD Strike Force in the members lounge...just until the new group is set up.

BTW, did anyone catch the hidden meaning in AMD FUsion? Let's just say we can reserve that for what we do to teams that sneak attack us. :)

Opteron
03-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Does any-1 know when or if this going to become a reality???

Frederic Brillouet
03-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe someone should at least start a new thread for AMD Strike Force in the members lounge...just until the new group is set up.

BTW, did anyone catch the hidden meaning in AMD FUsion? Let's just say we can reserve that for what we do to teams that sneak attack us. :)
I think i've got it. i wouldnt mind to participate (let me ask the head of the department if i could use those 24 dual cores as well:icon_mrgreen: )