PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

drezha
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Anyone got a guide to getting started on this?

Got an email from Vaughan about it and thought 3 weeks on laptop wont hurt much.

Trouble is I have non 24/7 internet at the minute and not 24/7 computing either, so can I download a cache?

Need a beginner's guide really. I have a dual core Core Duo to offer AMD Users for a while (consider it a thanks for AMDDeathstar's efforts on TPR folding)

drezha
03-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Seem to have done it but it reckons my CPU is 704Mhz but accrding to My Computer it's at it's max 1.6Ghz.

What's up with it? Will it sort it out?

Bender10
03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
It's pretty easy. Check out Vaughan's posting, http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3785&page=14 that will help a little.

You get the client here: www.pisegment.net

Went you start the client, select the user tab, change the wu cache to 10 or whatever. this will download 10 wu's that the client will run off-line. When they are done, connect and 'upload' and 'download' manually.

After you get running, you will have a better idea what to set your cache to for off-line work by the time it takes to process a wu...

Oh, create your user, and join the team on the site....but you knew that..

Bender10
03-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I have seen a couple of funny cpu readings. Are you oc'ing?

PcManiac
03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Seem to have done it but it reckons my CPU is 704Mhz but accrding to My Computer it's at it's max 1.6Ghz.

What's up with it? Will it sort it out?

on my laptop, it is also rated at 1.6GHz.
However, because of, well, I believe it is from this technology) PowerNOW! lol
basically it makes your CPU run at a slower speed to conserve power. when you computer is running at like 50-100%, it will jump to the 1.6GHz, but the client probably shows what the slower speed is.

I hope that helps...

Frank Encruncher
03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Welcome aboard drezha

came for some Blueberry PI to have with your Mississippi Mud pie :)

gatekeeper53
03-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome Deathstar!! The more the merrier.

drezha
03-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah the lowest CPU reading is ~800Mhz but it seems to be at 1.6Ghz according to CPU-Z. :)

Blueberry Pi and Mississippi mud pie...mmm good.
Cant move my main rig over because I left it on in Leeds and now I'm 300 miles away. And I forgot to turn the VNC server on. :doh:
Not that it would matter as Pi doesn't have a linux client...

PoorBoy
03-23-2007, 10:31 PM
PI Segment reads all my PC's a good 50-60 Mhz Lower than what CPU-Z or the Mother Board BIOS read them ...

drezha
03-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Found some trouble. It appears my laptop may be overheating. No signs on the desktop or anything but fans at full and after about 2 hours, the network dies. Completely. Doesn't appear that I have a wireless NIC anymore and a reboot fixes it.

Will experiment tomorrow by moving laptop onto a raised cookie tray like I do in Leeds. Currently laptop is fixed (with nice Cool and Quiet button) to 800Mhz (fan should cope with that) and I'll have to play around tomorrow to see if anything affects it all.

Lagu
03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
It's pretty easy. Check out Vaughan's posting, http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3785&page=14 that will help a little.

You get the client here: www.pisegment.net (http://www.pisegment.net)

Went you start the client, select the user tab, change the wu cache to 10 or whatever. this will download 10 wu's that the client will run off-line. When they are done, connect and 'upload' and 'download' manually.

After you get running, you will have a better idea what to set your cache to for off-line work by the time it takes to process a wu...

Oh, create your user, and join the team on the site....but you knew that..

Damn, I didnĀ“t know there was a new client. Now I have download it. Thanks Bender10:)

drezha
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Ah ha. Think I may have sorted the problem on the wireless. It appears it's whenever I disconnect a USB stick. Possible any USB device, will double check again later but now I'm off to bed.

Just disconnected my USB stick and wireless stopped at the same time. Raised the laptop up on some bits and bobs. Will leave it 100% @ 1.6Ghz overnight now and see what happens. Seems to be doing just over an hour a unit on my PC. Possibly 1 and 20 max.