07-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Welcome

Stewart Edwards
MMFFML
Katzenonkel
Edward Olson

Ototero
07-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Welcome aboard guys. Your mips are valuable to us.

Enjoy the forums.

jlangner
07-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Welcome!!

em99010pepe
07-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Another one.

Please welcome Electron_Mike.

Beerknurd
07-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Also hello Shivers... Welcome.

em99010pepe
07-16-2004, 07:15 AM
It is my impression or the team is growing each day.

vaughan
07-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Great to see isn't it?

BC
07-16-2004, 08:51 AM
It's really great to see!

I'm sure you'll enjoy as well as be frustrated at times
by the new DC architecture. PLEASE don't hesitate to ask
ANYONE for help.

This is the best group of folks I have ever worked with!!

BC
(Chuck)

Beerknurd
07-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Are any of the new members running anything yet???

em99010pepe
07-17-2004, 08:33 AM

They are running Predictor. Are you still running Ubero?

BC
07-17-2004, 08:36 AM

They are running Predictor. Are you still running Ubero?

If he is....... :lol: do we beat him or excommunicate him? :shock:

ROFLMAO

Chuck

em99010pepe
07-17-2004, 11:06 AM
:violent2: :violent3: :williamshatter:

nickth
07-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Welcome to Skuzz who has join the team :D

em99010pepe
07-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Jim Jones also joined the team.

BC
07-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the team!!!!

I hope you have as great an experience as I.

This is a SUPER group of people!!!

Chuck
(BC)

Skuzz
07-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks. Glad to be here.

Skuzz

Beerknurd
07-19-2004, 05:35 AM
Well there is 144 members on this site. It seems to me that only 15 or so are active and running anything at all. At least i'm participating in something. It may not be the "Pet Project" but what is? You have people running Chessbrain, Predictor, D2OL, Ubero, Seti and a few others. I participated in the D2OL thing that we did. That lasted all of a week and a half then Predictor was the big thing. Why don't yall decide on 1 project and have everyone work on that instead of switching every few days. If the team works on 5 projects at once we won't gain any ground. That's kind of annoying. I really want to help this team out, I enjoy this website and I enjoy running DC projects. Let's decide on 1 project and really kick it's ass.

BC
07-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Well there is 144 members on this site. It seems to me that only 15 or so are active and running anything at all. At least i'm participating in something. It may not be the "Pet Project" but what is? You have people running Chessbrain, Predictor, D2OL, Ubero, Seti and a few others. I participated in the D2OL thing that we did. That lasted all of a week and a half then Predictor was the big thing. Why don't yall decide on 1 project and have everyone work on that instead of switching every few days. If the team works on 5 projects at once we won't gain any ground. That's kind of annoying. I really want to help this team out, I enjoy this website and I enjoy running DC projects. Let's decide on 1 project and really kick it's ass.

Agreed, That is why I asked what I did in the other thread of this forum. I am running 100% predictor as I believe a few are. I agree that we, divided, will not accomplish our goals.

Perhaps our Senior members and Admins would consider an initative for us to select one?

BC

WienerDog
07-19-2004, 08:15 AM
hhmmmm Beerknurd your right.
and ill take partial blame for the d2ol thing.
i joined the team and switched over in d2ol,and it really boosted us up.
Then i started reading the d2ol forums. :-( they were "supposed" to upgrade in may...then they started to remodle.then we find out that they dont even have a contract with sengent ( company that made the cruncher) right now, so they arent sure if they are even gonna upgrade ever.
Also if you read the forums..... onlly the guy responsible for the server will ever say anything on there, Charles.
So i started looking at Predictor...i mean if they have a problem its fixed fast...the staff actually reads the forums and answers questions.
So i jumped ship.
Hopefully Predictor dosent go down hill like alot of the other D/C projexts do.

hmm i really can spell better than that...i just cant type :oops: and too lazy to use my spellchecker :P

BC
07-19-2004, 08:41 AM
hhmmmm Beerknurd your right.
and ill take partial blame for the d2ol thing.
i joined the team and switched over in d2ol,and it really boosted us up.
Then i started reading the d2ol forums. :-( they were "supposed" to upgrade in may...then they started to remodle.then we find out that they dont even have a contract with sengent ( company that made the cruncher) right now, so they arent sure if they are even gonna upgrade ever.
Also if you read the forums..... onlly the guy responsible for the server will ever say anything on there, Charles.
So i started looking at Predictor...i mean if they have a problem its fixed fast...the staff actually reads the forums and answers questions.
So i jumped ship.
Hopefully Predictor dosent go down hill like alot of the other D/C projexts do.

hmm i really can spell better than that...i just cant type :oops: and too lazy to use my spellchecker :P

I KNOW this is going to sound biased, but it is my honest, humble opinion. Predictor isn't going to go down hill from ANYTHING I can see. Predictor is run by Scripps Institute; my sister is a micro-biologist and has explained all of this to me (how it works, etc and I told here what my part is).

Right now Predictor'son a skeleton staff (summer break for most). To add to it, I'm one of the tech writers so I have a direct line to the person in charge and staff. If it were to go start going downhill, I would hear about it and have a vote and also be given the reason why. Right now, there isn't enough staff that is obvious and soon to be remedied when everyone gets back. For now, The PM is also the DBA.

Yes, there are a few HTTP and DB issues... but the 1 Web guy is doing his best, I'm *trying* to get the FAQ updated and written... and the PM is doing most of the answers on the questions *AND* run the ship *AND* fix code. (yes, the PM/DBA fixed and created version 3.10 of the apps)

I think that when staff returns in a few weeks, things will improve a lot more and faster than they already have. I don't know of many PM's that write emails at 11:30pm and tell me that 'blah blah blah just got fixed'...

I can't say that about Seti since the production web site got leaked and beta jumpd ship. Since then, it's been a mess and firefight to catch up because The Planetary Society (TPA)... which I am a member of *and* wrote a rather blunt letter to.... didn't put their foot down. Scripps does not appear to be running it that way.. THey appear to get the 'product' (Boinc) from UCB SSL and the rest is totally up to Scripps.

So far, and given all the feedback, questions, discussions, etc I get multiple times a day with the PM, I don't see what happened to Seti happenning here. What I see is the 3rd app coming on line when more hands are around to fix things..... as well as take care of those little web quirks, etc that bug us now. I see the project making the 'official' transition from Alpha to Beta to Full Production.... All of that hinges on getting the Hetero and Homogeneous results of the apps to work out so the usefullness of the data reaches the required levels. So far, so good.

Predictor uses boinc... that is true... but uses the released versions, not anything in beta (inclusive of server front end software)... Also, the DB/front end is structured entirely differently from the hardware perspective than other Boincs to date.

I PROMISE to be the first to hollar out if things smell bad. So far all your feedback and my research from that has gone to the PM, unfiltered and been handled.

So, for now, Predictor has my vote as far as AMD Users is concerned because Predictor has beeen prompt and honest. Should that change, you all will be the first to find out the moment I do.

** looking back ****
sorry that reads like a sales pitch to me... it was meant to tell you everything I know about what's going on.. Did it come across as informative or 'used car salesman' ?

Chuck

**** ADMINS: Can you please move this to the appropriate thread? I should not have written it here... my error. ******

WienerDog
07-19-2004, 08:51 AM
ROFL BC.....both :notworthy:
thats ok tho cause its good info......and its good to know someone actually knows a lil bit about what goes on in those dark,dank dungeons those brainiac scientist work in.
I mean...what if we helped make a real Frankenstien?????? :shock:

tho Godzilla would be kewl :headbang:

BC
07-19-2004, 08:57 AM
ROFL BC.....both :notworthy:
thats ok tho cause its good info......and its good to know someone actually knows a lil bit about what goes on in those dark,dank dungeons those brainiac scientist work in.
I mean...what if we helped make a real Frankenstien?????? :shock:

tho Godzilla would be kewl :headbang:

I vote for Godzilla... The 'Godzilla' antidote to everything that we can do. That's why I'm here. My understanding of protein structure construction, refinement and then the "D2OL" process... those are the 3 recognized phases that I know of. If we save one life with a cure or inocculation, then every cpu cycle is worth it to me.

WienerDog
07-19-2004, 08:59 AM
agreed :D

Ototero
07-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Chuck,

I enjoy your posts, techie or non techie. You seem to have a passion that spills over onto the board.

Keep it up. :signyeah:

Stu

BC
07-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Chuck,

I enjoy your posts, techie or non techie. You seem to have a passion that spills over onto the board.

Keep it up. :signyeah:

Stu

Thanks Stu,
I have a passion (as you can tell.. I'm *STILL* late getting to bed).

I have another passion too.. Music.. This is me in my spare time
being 'studio engineer'.... I'm still just an apprentice, but that's me
at the keyboard.

http://www.tumoeng.com/main/mp3-7/10-Rainynightingeorgia.mp3

I've seen and done so much... Damn, wish we could sit and talk
about it over brewsky's... :)

Now, let's kick some Viral butt, shall we?

G'night for now,
Chuck

BC
07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Pepe & Stu........
See the other threads.... Chaz has given the rest of the info about
services, etc.... He has it working in GUI mode with remote GUI.

Chuck

vaughan
07-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I agree with Ototero and Beerknurd - BC's passion flows thru the forum and shows in his posts. Lots of great information, thanks Chuck.
I don't know that I need to move your post above - it is "predictor" related so I see no need to move it.
vaughan

em99010pepe
07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Another new member.

Welcome Dave Lewis.

It's funny but we have guys from all over the world: USA, UK, Portugal, Sweden, Germany, Japan, Canada, Finland, Australia.

Ototero
07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
BC, I was the 63rd visitor to your site. I loved the giant log carving. :buzzsaw: hehehe

Everybody else, go and visit, it gives a good insight into the man.

If you want an insight into me, visit www.tri-results-online.co.uk then follow the links to Family piccies, jokes, etc.

BC
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
BC, I was the 63rd visitor to your site. I loved the giant log carving. :buzzsaw: hehehe

Everybody else, go and visit, it gives a good insight into the man.

If you want an insight into me, visit www.tri-results-online.co.uk then follow the links to Family piccies, jokes, etc.

I will check your site out at home....

what do you think of my other hobby (except for that 1 bunch being a bit muddy sounding in the mp3 encoding) ??

and is it really that insightfull?

BC

Ototero
07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
BC,

If the music was created by you, then excellent. I had a guitar from the age of 15 (still have it) but my fingers were too fat to play properly.

BTW, I've setup B/Pred as a service on my main machine, set the others up as gui with rpc, then installed B/Viewer.

Brill, works a treat, except the predictor servers are down at the moment!!!!
so I can't load any more work
:cry:

Stu

BC
07-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, all that was performed by me.. my experimentation and
'just me' in some at special request. I have another CD that needs
a little polish then will be ready to publish.
my grandfather sang on radio, cut 78's, etc... I grew up in a house
filled with music and it was not at all uncommon for my grandfather
to be singing in the restaurant on saturday nights w/ people
like Kate Smith, Art Godfrey & the whole RKO Radio gang hanging
out while I sat on top of a piano in my Dr Denton PJs.

The servers seem to be ok... I just got work. but will watch them

as for BoincView.... you have to use file mode, right? that works great
for me... but RPC doesnt' yet.... if you have service and rpc mode working
please let me know how you did it.

*EDIT*
20:50 19-Jul-2004 UTC

I think the answer is.... GUI mode w/ RPC or service mode not both.... Seems BOINC 3.20 only handles 1 command line argument. I will have to find the source and see what the scoop is or read back through the BOINC Dev and Alpha logs.

Your thoughts????

*END EDIT*

BC
07-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Dave,
Sorry for the belated welcome.... but Welcome!!!!

I'm sure you'll find this an insightfull and fun group.

Glad to have you aboard!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

Chuck

em99010pepe
07-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Welcome Beerknurd!

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 01:54 PM
LOL, what to Predictor???

em99010pepe
07-20-2004, 03:35 PM
LOL, what to Predictor???

Oh, it is you! I thought it was someone else. ;)

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Yep, It's just little ol' me. No one special. :-(

Ototero
07-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Phew....now my 5th spot in Ubero is safe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a feeling Ubero will be gone very soon. So I guess it doesn't metter. Well I was close anyways.

Ototero
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Getting those results out of 1 machine was excellent. It took 5 of mine to stay ahead.

Right then, lets fight in predictor.....ding ding....round 1.

em99010pepe
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Phew....now my 5th spot in Ubero is safe :lol: :lol: :lol:

You shouldn't be sure about it. I can easily grab you with my super-high-ultra-secret-AMD1,1Ghz-computer.

Anonymous
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
I feel at Predictor you will be victorious. I don't think the P4 can handle as much predictor as it did with Ubero. So i'm no longer the fastest..... :-(

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 08:21 PM
I feel at Predictor you will be victorious. I don't think the P4 can handle as much predictor as it did with Ubero. So i'm no longer the fastest..... :-(

I hate it when it logs me out.....

em99010pepe
07-20-2004, 08:26 PM

I hate it when it logs me out.....

Forget Internet Explorer. Install Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/).

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I can't I'm at work. :?

I have only been running Predictor 1 day and the website is shut down, and I haven't been able to access it. Not a very good first day... I'm dissapointed...... But I'll stick it out I guess.

Ototero
07-20-2004, 09:00 PM
I downloaded mozilla at work. I guess your place is a bit stricter than mine (DHL).

Once logged in (in mozilla) you stay in forever. No more guest msgs :)

Beerknurd
07-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Yea here, I don't think that would be a very smart decision.

em99010pepe
07-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Beerknurd,

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer (http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archives/20040615_why_you_should_dump_internet_explorer.pht ml).

BC
07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
I downloaded mozilla at work. I guess your place is a bit stricter than mine (DHL).

Once logged in (in mozilla) you stay in forever. No more guest msgs :)

I have Internet Exploder at work as well.... and once logged in here, I stay logged in unless I log out specifically (OR) log in on a different machine (roaming profiles).

NG/SSD is very very strict.

BC

em99010pepe
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the team gedim21.

Do you want to comment Greece victory at Euro2004? Was it good for your country? What changed there?

Beerknurd
07-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I installed Mozilla. It's pretty cool. I'll try it out for a while.

em99010pepe
07-22-2004, 06:05 AM
I installed Mozilla. It's pretty cool. I'll try it out for a while.

You are going to be a fan of Mozilla.

Their's a new guy in Predictor. His nick is KrzysieX. Welcome.
Wow, 3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200!

Next time I will write something in polish.

AMDave
07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the new members.

Although I have been running DC projects for the last few years, as a recent newbie to the Team environment, I have to say that this experience has re-kindled my interests. I hope that you too will benefit from this group.

BTW - Loaded Firefox for Windows and my problems on the D2OL login went away. IE6 baaaaaad. Firefox goooood :cool:
Seems a little slower to render some gif's, but hey NO CRASH-NO WORRIES MATE !
Must download the JVM pack now for some of my web client software so I can test them out too.

--Dave--

Ototero
07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Dave,

There are some sites that just don't work correctly with firefox.
So, you need to add some extensions. Go to tools, extensions, get more extension, then find "IE View 0.8".

It allows you to switch straight to IE when you find firefox doesn't work.

Comes in handy sometimes. Check out the firefox forums, they have some good ideas on how to speed it all up.

Stu

em99010pepe
07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
BobGiel

Welcome aboard AMD Users Team.

gedim21
07-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the team gedim21.

Do you want to comment Greece victory at Euro2004? Was it good for your country? What changed there?

Thanks !! Glad to be a member.

As for the Euro, it is a great feeling, hard to believe though. Things are changing already. We now have National Team fan clubs, people are already bying tickets for the World Cup Qualifiers, new stadiums are been built . This a big chance for the greek football. Oh and Rivaldo is now a player of a greek team ( too bad not my team ). Cheers...

em99010pepe
07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Here they built stadiums instead of hospital, roads, etc.

Rivaldo went to OLYMPIAKOS or PANATHINAIKOS? I think you have a portuguese coach at AEK...

gedim21
07-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Here they built stadiums instead of hospital, roads, etc.

Rivaldo went to OLYMPIAKOS or PANATHINAIKOS? I think you have a portuguese coach at AEK...

If it weren't for the Olympics we wouldn't be builting anything. Now we have "Olympic" Hospitals, "Olympic" roads, "Olympic" airports,metro stations,trams and Stadiums.
Rivaldo joined Olympiakos and Fernando Santos has returned to AEK Athens.

em99010pepe
07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
If it weren't for the Olympics we wouldn't be builting anything. Now we have "Olympic" Hospitals, "Olympic" roads, "Olympic" airports,metro stations,trams and Stadiums.

Here they built one Stadium, i don't remember which one, that was only used for one European game!
Fernando Santos is known here as the Engineering of the Penta because he gave the 5th consecutive national championship to F.C. Porto.

gedim21
07-22-2004, 09:26 PM

Here they built one Stadium, i don't remember which one, that was only used for one European game!
Fernando Santos is known here as the Engineering of the Penta because he gave the 5th consecutive national championship to F.C. Porto.

Some people never learn. Our Olympic Stadium roof had the same cost as 9 big hospitals, and they choosed the roof. I bet your stadium had the same cost.

Santos is a really smart coach. Last time he almost won the championship for AEK. But this time the team has debts of 180 million euros,most players have left the club, there is no champions league for us and our stadium won't be ready until next year, so no true home matches. I wonder what he can do. I also wonder why he came back under this circumstances.

Are you a Porto fan?

em99010pepe
07-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Are you a Porto fan?

I live near Porto but I'm a Benfica fan! We are still dreaming....
Football/soccer isn't my favourite sport. I like cycling, tennis, curling, snooker.

gedim21
07-22-2004, 10:01 PM
I hope the dream becomes reality soon.You know Santos' dream is to coach Benfica?
I also like snooker. Cant wait for the new season.

Beerknurd
07-23-2004, 03:39 AM
Holy crap, we have 19 visitors and 5 members online.... Someone is really getting the word out!!!!

Beerknurd
07-23-2004, 03:51 AM
Just think if we could have 19 more active members.... That would be awesome. :cool:

em99010pepe
07-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Welcome Empty_5oul.

Ototero
07-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't be shy newbies, tell us a little about yourselves.

If there's anything we can help with, just ask. We can even do marriage guidance counseling lol ;)

Let's make this the number one team to be in.

900+ credits pending guys (are there any girls in the forum?)

Stu

em99010pepe
07-25-2004, 05:33 PM
(are there any girls in the forum?)

Stu

It's a good question.

BC
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the new members.

Although I have been running DC projects for the last few years, as a recent newbie to the Team environment, I have to say that this experience has re-kindled my interests. I hope that you too will benefit from this group.

BTW - Loaded Firefox for Windows and my problems on the D2OL login went away. IE6 baaaaaad. Firefox goooood :cool:
Seems a little slower to render some gif's, but hey NO CRASH-NO WORRIES MATE !
Must download the JVM pack now for some of my web client software so I can test them out too.

--Dave--

Dave,
go to sun and get the *REAL* JVM package....... MO BETTAH!!!

BC
07-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Just woke up....

Looks like validator is being fixed..... and manual scan being done.

A. F. T.

BC
07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Welcome Empty_5oul This ISthe number 1 team to be in.

BC

BC
07-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Better not be any girls in here.....

The project is up and down like a #$%#$%@ and cold water.

Empty_5oul
07-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Glad this is the team to be in as its the one i joined lol. seemed pretty kool, had a good-ish total and i have an AMD so it all fitted lol.

i quick predictor question - sometimes a workunit finishes and becomes "ready to send" (or whatever it says), is it possible to send this instantly not wait for 3 or 4 units to be done and send them all together ??
i have bb, running XP pro and BOINC newest version

BC
07-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Glad this is the team to be in as its the one i joined lol. seemed pretty kool, had a good-ish total and i have an AMD so it all fitted lol.

i quick predictor question - sometimes a workunit finishes and becomes "ready to send" (or whatever it says), is it possible to send this instantly not wait for 3 or 4 units to be done and send them all together ??
i have bb, running XP pro and BOINC newest version

You may send immediately...
or do what I (and others do)... set the min & max in your predictor general prefs to be .05 apart... this == 1 hr of time and about 1 wu... it slows the RAC progress, but also slows the aging .

I personally run 1.00 and 1.05 for min/max.

BC

Predictor Team Member / Predictor Support / BOINC Alpha/Beta Test
http://stats.axpr.net/sig.php?id=721&project=pah

BC
07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
WORK AVAILABLE

BC

PS: Just got MORE points.... the turn upward has started.... I know how this beast works. Pleease just keep at it... it's not like seti or d2ol.

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 10:06 PM
With all the new members, we should be able to kick some Predictor butt!!!!!!

Empty_5oul
07-26-2004, 09:10 AM
right, being new im not 100% sure what u meen. in prefs the first few dont matter as im on a comp and have broadband, what should i make the following - i have left my current settings for u to show what they should be:
Keep enough work on disk to last between 1 and 7 days
Limits on disk space used by BOINC:
Use no more than 50 GB
Leave at least 0.1 GB
Use no more than 95% of total space

i havent limited the upload or download so there is "no limit"
i have a 160G HD partitioned into 2 C: and D:, c: being for windows and apps (40G total) and D: being for stuff -music,videos and films (120G). I installed predictor to C: will it ever use my D: or just stick to C: ??

chaz
07-26-2004, 12:09 PM
The less work you store on your PC, the more often the client will update. Basically what BC means by min/max is the "Keep enough work on Disk to last" setting. The lower the number the more often it will send and recieve. Personally I use .1 to .3 (but if the server goes down I'm screwed).

Also, it will use less space on your HDD.

Empty_5oul
07-26-2004, 12:21 PM
k, thx chaz.
for the moment while predictor is still jumping around (on/offline)and often being stopped etc for maintainence i think ill leave it slightly higher but make it a small gap

nickth
07-26-2004, 04:01 PM
good news it looks like we are starting to gain ground now and getting returns on our pended work :D

BC
07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
good news it looks like we are starting to gain ground now and getting returns on our pended work :D

Nickth,

I agree... I found the links to PAH on boink.dk for now...... You can see the whole trend..... it is SHOCKING!!!!

Here is the direct link:

http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=team_statistics&project=pah&teamid=17

and here it is so you can copy it.

http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=team_statistics&project=pah&teamid=17

(SEE,,, I *AM* learning.... ... at about the pace of molassas in January!!!)

BC