PDA

View Full Version : Chris' Thread

gatekeeper53
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I have to figure that with all the time that Chris (Leavitron) spends here (more than the majority of our members) we should give him his own thresd. So if anyone has information or comments for him this is the place to leave them. LMAO

Good morning Chris nice post this morning.

NVM
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
now he has two threads:

http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3814

Steve Lux
03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you think with two threads he can tie a knot?

Bender10
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Leavitron will most likely get someone to do it for him. HE has taken over TBP and is "in charge" now that Accs has not been seen for a while.... :icon_wink:

"Peter has been noticeably absent lately. I guess that makes me defacto team leader....."

Hmmm, maybe 2 went for a walk and 1 came back....

gatekeeper53
03-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Nope I see Peter right now. Peter we can start you your own thread too if you like. lol

leavitron
03-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Leavitron will most likely get someone to do it for him. HE has taken over TBP and is "in charge" now that Accs has not been seen for a while.... :icon_wink:

"Peter has been noticeably absent lately. I guess that makes me defacto team leader....."

Hmmm, maybe 2 went for a walk and 1 came back....

That comment is completely uncalled for. That alone is enough to keep me from joining in on the fun.

FYI, Peter was away for reasons I don't need to discuss. He didn't tell anyone because he didn't feel so compelled. I would think that all of us would agree - Real Life(tm) takes priority over the Net. I jumped the gun and I have apologized to him for doing so.

PS. Thanks Terry! I love you too! :icon_razz:

Bender10
03-28-2007, 01:25 AM
You know something Leavitron, We all look at this as fun. And it will still be fun when this is over, however it ends. Everyone will still chat and make jokes. We will still be asking computer questions from our peers, advice on what is the best video card and how to run a more efficent pharm. :hello:

If you look far enough back into the mists of time you will see that, YOU came banging on OUR door...Not the other way around. And for that, you have been assaulted with good natured ribbing, suggestions on improving the output of your pharms etc...Mean old nasty AMD'ers. :-(

So lighten-up. We are donating our cpu cycles to what each of us feels is a worthy cause (i know i am). And the only winner that matters is Jianan Hao and Chinese DC. That's good enough for me. I'm sure you don't object.

About that video card, ATi 1950 Crossfire or GeForce 8800 gts.....:XXarcade:

gatekeeper53
03-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Geeez remind me to have you write my acceptance speech if I'm ever elected to any office, I think your safe because I hold politicians in the same high esteem as I do lawyers. lol

leavitron
03-28-2007, 04:08 AM
I guess you guys don't know me that well after all.

I'm all about having fun. That should be obvious because I came here to give you guys a hard time, first. However, there are some areas that are sensitive to people. We each have them.

I happen to take offense to "gay reference" jokes. That should be something you are able to respect.

gatekeeper53
03-28-2007, 04:26 AM
Gay? I had to go back and re-read everything and I still don't see a gay reference. If you mean:"Hmmm, maybe 2 went for a walk and 1 came back...." Then I'm sure he was talking about the take over of leader of the group and that you had taken Peter for a walk and done away with him.

Opteron
03-28-2007, 04:48 AM
I seen a reference of doom!!!

Nflight
03-28-2007, 06:53 AM

I'm all about having fun. That should be obvious because I came here to give you guys a hard time, first. However, there are some areas that are sensitive to people. We each have them.

I happen to take offense to "gay reference" jokes. That should be something you are able to respect.

Maybe it was the reference of "Mr. Slippery" that pissed him off? You are showing a soap commercial as your avatar?

Bender10
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
This is my last go around, because life's too short..and I have to get to werk. You say that you are all about having fun. Yet when you show up here to poke at us, you keep adding to the list of 'Buttons' that we are not supposed to push. That gives me the impression that whatever you say, you really don't like us.

And I hate to say this in 'Public' (I'm sorry congressman, I don't remember saying that..), I was beginning to think your team had some sharp people, and I was going to start posting. But when I am accused of "insinuating" insults, be they racial, sexual or whatever. Thats pretty low.

If you look hard enough, and want to find one, you can find an insult anywhere you want. That's not someone who is all about 'Having Fun'.

And, I can without reserve say that you don't know me. If I wanted to insult you (which I don't, because I think you a basically a good guy so far. With a few quirks), I would to your face. Not by "innuendo".

As to the 'sensitive areas'...lighten up, remember it's all in fun. But, please post a list of your "Buttons" for future reference if that would make you feel safer here.

Rant complete. :icon_rolleyes:

What about that video card??

vaughan
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
8800 gts for sure

Bender10
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
But the 1950 can be used to crunch with??

Skuzz
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
The 8800GTS is nice if you don't want to run Vista. NVidia says they are the best solution for Vista, but their drivers are definitely NOT vista ready.

Frederic Brillouet
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
ATI = AMD so i'd say ATI:icon_mrgreen: anyways, the r600 is supposed to be out somewhere soon, no?

btw have you seen that blackice dude in the pisegment stats? i'd watch out of he would join a team. there's lots of power behind him. first day a score of 447. didnt even see him pass:icon_eek:

PoorBoy
03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
btw have you seen that blackice dude in the pisegment stats? i'd watch out of he would join a team. there's lots of power behind him. first day a score of 447. didnt even see him pass:icon_eek:

I noticed him myself & was thinking the same thing, I couldn't come up with much on him in the BOINC Projects so I have no idea where he came from ... :icon_confused:

Frederic Brillouet
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
me neither, but those 447 werent processed in 1 whole day i think, maybe 1/2 day seen the output from today only :icon_eek: (anyone want to recruit him? :icon_mrgreen: )

edit: he hasnt been there for 1 whole day yet and he's already 147th!

867 downloads/24h and 779 uploads/24h

PoorBoy
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
me neither, but those 447 werent processed in 1 whole day i think, maybe 1/2 day seen the output from today only :icon_eek: (anyone want to recruit him? :icon_mrgreen: )

He's outpacing me by about 10 WU's an hour so I know he's got some serious fire power ...

Frederic Brillouet
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
according to the pisegment stats he/she has 50 devices:shocked:

i'm gonna go hide and cry :icon_cry:

Nflight
03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I am trying to contact him, but the question remains who is he and how do I find him in this vast world of DC-ing/anonymous playing field? If you find an email or real name give me a shout via PM, thanks. Oh if he is German - I don't speak German? English Only sorry !

You might also want to look at someone named marc, lain, I like monkeys, mippe, Frankenstein, Powell, Boiler, timhudson, pinback, doolittle, cheapy_mccheapskate, Polyscience, and Bomb20 - no Team so far, all crunching in the top 125 ! If your good at searching for people on the net here you go this is one place to start making any Team top dog ! Recruit the non team Pi Segment players into your Team!:icon_wink:

leavitron
03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey! This is supposed to be my thread, not about a bunch of noobs who aren't on teams (yet)! :icon_rolleyes:

Gay? I had to go back and re-read everything and I still don't see a gay reference. If you mean:"Hmmm, maybe 2 went for a walk and 1 came back...." Then I'm sure he was talking about the take over of leader of the group and that you had taken Peter for a walk and done away with him.

I see your point. This is probably what Bender10 was trying to say as well. I thought you said, though, that you were prior military. This expression is rather well-known (in the Navy at least) as a reference to submariners becoming gay on their long, lonely deployments with no communications outside the boat. Anyway....

Bender10 - thank you for keeping me humble. I need reminders from time to time. :icon_redface:

Oh, and for a video card, I am doing fine with my Radeon 9700 Pro with VGA Silencer 2 fan set on low.

I thought about getting an X800 to max out my AGP, but other priorities have taken precedence. Now that I have an AMD rig and I like working with them again (how many cores did you crack back in the days?), I am targeting an X2 for my next upgrade when the X4 comes out and pries plummet.

Speaking of video cards, though... I have an X300 in my server. It's a hair too long in that it covers part of the NB HSF. I want to replace that HSF with a Zalman. Outside of a hacksaw, any ideas? What about an el cheapo, really short PCIe video card?

gatekeeper53
03-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains it!!! Your NAVY. And here I had my opinion of you well above a swabby. No wonder your sensitive about gay comments they explained to us in boot camp they we had to be nice to you guys because you spent so much time out on a boat that you got in the habit of taking turns dropping the soap in the shower. LOL As for the military part yup Marine can ya tell? lol

Opteron
03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh'hell here we go...

gatekeeper53
03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
No Opteron, LOL In the Navy and Marine Corps one of the first things you learn is to give the other service crap. But, if you get a bar full of Navy, Marine Corps and Army, the Army will have a bad day EVERY time. Been there and done that.

Opteron
03-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh I know...
I have a uncle that was a lifer in the Navy and my cousin (his son)
became a Jar-Head as he calls him...
I'll tell you this, get those 2 together a few beers and OMG you'll have tears of laughter before long...
The really cool thing about them is no matter how far they go they never really get mad @ each other... They are fun to be around...

Bender10
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Depends on what you need. Crunch? I'm moving away from video cards to on-board video for crunching, then I run headless. If this is for an existing cruncher, go find a 32-64 Mb pcie card for $20-$40. These won't have a fan and should be a bit shorter.

I don't have a spare in the shop now, or i'd give you a measurement. No guarantee. Measure the space you have and the check locally. If you find something, see if they will let you measure it.

Oh yeah, I'm still running a X850XT in my older gamer, smokin card...

leavitron
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains it!!! Your NAVY. And here I had my opinion of you well above a swabby. No wonder your sensitive about gay comments they explained to us in boot camp they we had to be nice to you guys because you spent so much time out on a boat that you got in the habit of taking turns dropping the soap in the shower. LOL As for the military part yup Marine can ya tell? lol

Actually, I was an airdale on active duty. I had it made, I just wasn't smart enough to realize it when I had a lousy supervisor. So I got out angry. You have no idea the hell we went through because of Tailhook! 8 years later I came back in the reserves as an IT. Messed up my knees, now I am on IRR waiting to get out. It's a shame, too. I have 10 years in.

I'm thinking about applying for disability to see what that would do.

Bender10 - I was on a budget so I took what I could get. If this had onboard video I'd be running it. This is my server, not a farm machine. Sure I can RDP in, but I dunno if this will boot without video. I'd switch the board to mine and get another for the server, but that would still leave my PC with the same issue. I only paid $15 for the X300, so I'll probably just run it until the NB HSF dies. I just wanted to quiet it down and not have to worry about it later.

Bender10
03-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Can you disable in bios "halt on errors"???

Steve Lux
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I was in Subs for 6 years on a boomer and cannot claim to know of any guys who were gay - happy yes, but not gay.

Bender10
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
If you can disable "halt on error" that should allow you to boot w/o video.

If I'm stating the obvious, just ignore me...

leavitron
03-29-2007, 02:34 AM
If you can disable "halt on error" that should allow you to boot w/o video.

NO, actually that is quite helpful. I had totally forgotten about that option.

gatekeeper53
03-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Works and I found today that you can remove a vid card from a running machine and it still works lol

Accs
03-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Hmmm, maybe 2 went for a walk and 1 came back....Nope. I'm still alive, and crunching away on Eon (whatever happened to Vaughan?), PI Segment and RC5-72. I was away visiting a Ren Fair over the weekend. I was still reading my email, but not posting (posting from a phone just doesn't sound fun).
Nope I see Peter right now. Peter we can start you your own thread too if you like. lolNo need. Look at my post count. I read what's available and don't have much to say. I don't have the time to come over here too often, as I'm currently SWAMPED with work.

The only reason I'm the team founder (DON'T call me the leader) is that I had the patience and time to start the team when the connection was all screwed up, back in January. I'm not especially active (still under 3K score as of this post) in the project, and only have two systems (P4/3.0 & dual 246) running it.

gatekeeper53
03-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Always good to have you. I well remember the earthquake troubles. 1/2 Tfp huh lol Good luck with that. Flawed is doing well I see. Come back any time. Oh yea Vaughan was business traveling also this last week.

vaughan
03-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Always good to have you. I well remember the earthquake troubles. 1/2 Tfp huh lol Good luck with that. Flawed is doing well I see. Come back any time. Oh yea Vaughan was business traveling also this last week.
Yeah I was interstate for a few days then had plenty of work with follow-ups and reports to write. :icon_neutral:

Got the parts for another cruncher now - guess what I'll be doing this weekend? :icon_lol:

eOn ... I remember doing some of those tasks occasionally :icon_rolleyes: maybe I'll go back to it when the Pi gauntlet has been won by AMD Users :icon_wink: on the other hand I'd like to break a million in BOINC Riesel Sieve.

Accs
03-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I well remember the earthquake troubles.I live in San Diego. Please don't tempt the EQs.
Come back any time.From what I've read, this forum concentrates on CPU performance. My concentration for the past few years has been on I/O performance, especially disks and arrays, but some networking also. The largest system I've built is 13.5TB, but there's a 15TB system in the queue (sizes after RAID-6). In the next few months, I hope to get to play with some 10GBE networking.

Drop by Ars and look in the Other Hardware forum, and you'll see a lot of my posts.