PDA

View Full Version : Windows Upgrade

Lagu
03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Today I had one upgrade as was waiting for my response. I clicked yes and new windows opened where I could agree or not agree. The upgrade file was a tool for verifying my OS was legal.

You as have copies say NO but of course if you have one or more legal OS you know what you will do.
I had nothing to hide why I accepted the file.:icon_wink:

Steve Lux
03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Windows upgrade: They are selling Windows 2000 again?

Lagu
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Today I got a patch as I installed. It requires a restart of the OS.

To you as run D2OL: before you cloise the node run all 20 steps and then shout it down. If you chout the node down say when you have finished step 10 you lose these because there isnĀ“t any check point menanig you must begin from scratch again.:icon_wink:

Bender10
04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
You can still buy Windows 95 if you want it.

I still have a factory copy of NT 4.0 sitting around....

DC_fan
04-28-2007, 03:27 PM
While I wouldn't be interested in buying win95 again, W2K I do like for crunching. XP seems okay too, but I have had no experience with Vista. Can you gut visa down to cut out some of the behind the scenes stuff? Does it perform comparably to W2K/XP as regards to crunching? I guess it's getting to the point that there really isn't much choice in the matter.

Then also there was a project underway to do a "clean" rewrite of NT. Can't remember the name of it offhand, but anyway I haven't heard anything more of it lately. Did MS shut it down, or is it still alive, or ???

NVM
04-28-2007, 03:49 PM
what does Win95 have to do with anything?

DC_fan
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM
ya got me. bender mentioned it in his post above.

Ototero
04-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd stay away from vi$ta, it has far too many issues (plus it demands greater hardware). XP will be supported until 2015 I think. By then vi$ta should be stable.

drezha
04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Vista can be cut back to classic view which frees up vast quatities of memory :D but looks like Win2K so if you can put up with that, then your sorted.

I have WGA installed on both my windows boxes. Only downside is, I have recovery disc cos I bought the PC and laptop with XP already on and I wanted to make a unattened install disc for those reboots. Ah well I can cope with having the installers I need embedded on my portable HD. Which requires Ext2FS driver lol.

Nflight
04-28-2007, 05:36 PM
While the Vista is still churning out those false positives I will wait a few years till they get the bugs out. Win 2000 and XP are stable and since they will be supported for years to come why change.
I am looking into this OS to see if is what I need to pass all of you super crunchers with multiple systems: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/ccs/default.mspx
It is the HPC version of MS, although I am not a fan of Windows I can't get around the fact that Boinc is limited to the platforms of Projects I can run on. Lagu I hope you sort out your problems and not lose that valuable data either.

spikey_richie
04-28-2007, 05:37 PM
People are saying Vista is to XP as ME was to 98

DC_fan
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd stay away from vi$ta, it has far too many issues (plus it demands greater hardware). XP will be supported until 2015 I think. By then vi$ta should be stable.

I think I'm gonna cry for happiness anyway, if XP is supported until 2015 then I'll be okay. I'll bet that vista will continue to be the dog cause MS will be working on the next follow-up and their interest in it will wane.

Opteron
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I know with the hardware technology advancing at a pretty steady rate there is going to be software that will take full advantage of it like "Vista" but you'd think some-1 a lot smarter then myself would create a OS that would let your hardware slip-stream onto another level... Just a thought...:rolleyes:

gamer007
04-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Call me the guinea pig of the team, but I'm using Vista Ultimate right now. Like people said, there are issues. Most I assume are caused by my somewhat-old computer. I've had WMP crash several times, but I don't use it often anymore. The start menu -> All Programs likes to lag a few seconds. Preferred XP's style.

BOINC runs fine as well as most of my games, so backwards-compatiblity is good. Some games crash for the craziest reasons (ex. Changing video settings).

The ATI drivers could be better, I can view BOINC graphics and they'll be like 2FPS while they were smooth before. Games are somewhat laggier too.

We are all not a fan of DRM, but I don't have any HD movies or hardware so I can't comment on that.

I'm sure Vista will improve over time. But I've heard MS is already working on the next-gen Windows "Vienna" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_%22Vienna%22) set for 2009, which doesn't seem to leave much time for Vista to become mainstream like XP did. But we'll see in the future.

Beerknurd
04-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I am not moving to Vista until "They" make me...

drezha
04-28-2007, 11:30 PM
gammer, from your avatar it looks liek you play C+C 3.

But one of TPR team members found it was umplayable in Vista because vista wouldn't let him save.(due to permissions)

Have you seen this?

gamer007
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
gammer, from your avatar it looks liek you play C+C 3.

But one of TPR team members found it was umplayable in Vista because vista wouldn't let him save.(due to permissions)

Have you seen this?

Nope, never had that problem. I can save games fine in C&C3.
I'll see if anyone on EA's forums have had the problem.

EDIT: Nope, looks like 1 search on the forums had 1 irreverent thread. I don't see how it wouldn't let him save. It saves in your personal Saved Games folder (usually C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\Saved Games\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\)

drezha
04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Hum.. Odd. Dont know much details but he left this message on TPR...

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showpost.php?p=369849&postcount=4

PoorBoy
04-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I am not moving to Vista until "They" make me...

They can't make me ... :icon_mrgreen: ... I'm happy with XP Pro and have no reason to spend a fortune just so Billy Boy can make a few Billion more. With each new OS MicroShaft pumps out it take more resources to run thus taking away from the processing power for the BOINC or DC Projects.

Strongbow
04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
They can't make me ... :icon_mrgreen: ... I'm happy with XP Pro and have no reason to spend a fortune just so Billy Boy can make a few Billion more. With each new OS MicroShaft pumps out it take more resources to run thus taking away from the processing power for the BOINC or DC Projects.

LOL! :icon_lol:

Life was so much easier when the O/S was on 5 1/4"

Steve Lux
04-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Gamer: "But I've heard MS is already working on the next-gen Windows "Vienna" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_%22Vienna%22) set for 2009, which doesn't seem to leave much time for Vista to become mainstream like XP did. But we'll see in the future."

So, that means the new OS will likely be out in 2011, and sufficient patches out by the end of 2012 then?

Brucifer
05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
LOL! :icon_lol:
Life was so much easier when the O/S was on 5 1/4"

I got a chuckle out of that one! :) Remember when the big thing back then for the few computer mags there were, was to send out that big floppy with the latest and greatest. Commodore PC's, Kaypro, etc. heh heh

daddygeek
05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Vista(longhorn) was originally expected to ship sometime late in 2003 (was little late Nov 06) as a minor step between Windows XP (Whistler)
So, that means the new OS will likely be out in 2011, and sufficient patches out by the end of 2012 then?YEP if Linux doesn't take over before that.:icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Strongbow
05-01-2007, 07:26 PM
I got a chuckle out of that one! :) Remember when the big thing back then for the few computer mags there were, was to send out that big floppy with the latest and greatest. Commodore PC's, Kaypro, etc. heh heh

Them were the days! :icon_lol:

The thing is, Microsoft had already started grabbing us by the 'short and curlys' :icon_cry:...

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/kaypro2000-screen.jpg

Brucifer
05-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Them were the days! :icon_lol:

The thing is, Microsoft had already started grabbing us by the 'short and curlys' :icon_cry:

My first XT was a Kaypro. Was a good system really, but cost me an arm and a leg back then. It's pretty amazing that between then and now, Uncle Billy went from a regular nerd, to the richest man in the world. Who woulda thought???

Steve Lux
05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
I cut my coding teeth on the (usually game) code they used to send with computer magazines. For you youngsters; back around 1980 - 1982 they used to send out the actual code files printed in the magazines, you copied the file (typing - several pages) into your computer and tried to run it. The real challenge was when it didn't work and you had to troubleshoot the code.

Those were exciting times.

Brucifer
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
LOL I hadn't thought about that in a long long time. But you are right, it really was an exciting time and I look back on it with a lot of fond memories.

Keith75
05-04-2007, 01:36 AM
I have been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit for many months now. I would have to say that I am pretty happy with it. My favorite part is how loading games as well as levels in games is much much faster than in XP. It tends to predict what your going to need and load it into RAM for you ahead of time. In World of Warcraft for example loading the game when you log in used to take about 20 seconds and now it takes about 5 seconds. I really haven't had any problems to speak of and compared to XP 64-bit it is much more compatible with drivers. On top of that I can finally use all 4 Gig. of memory. :D

The worst part of Vista for me is that it seems to run your HD considerably more than in XP. I have been thinking about going to a RAID setup.

Keith

Keith

Strongbow
05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm getting conflicting answers when I search the Web, so does anyone know if the following is true?

Vista Retail means you can uninstall it at a later date, replace your hardware (change of motherboard etc.) and reinstall it.

Vista OEM means that it is locked and registered to the hardware you install it on and so if you ever upgrade you will need to puchase a new copy.

OEM is vastly cheaper than retail but if it's locked to the config then it is of no use to me!

Is that correct or is OEM and Retail just different due to packaging?

Ototero
05-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Basically that is correct. OEM is locked to the hardware.

But I have read of cases where the MoBo has failed, a replacement of similar type was used. Then a call to M$ to explain that it wasn't an upgrade but a replacement due to hardware failure, and they will OK the same OEM install again. DYOR.

Strongbow
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Many thanks Oto' :)