PDA

View Full Version : Statement

vaughan
03-31-2007, 03:41 AM
All,

I'm concerned that Pi Segment is going to be extended beyond its predicted completion of the current phase in approximately a month.

If this occurs my personal opinion is that I've donated enough CPU cycles to Pi Segment for the time being. Its had a good run and my pharm has been pretty much dedicated to it for a while now. I believe its time to consider some of the other 40 or so projects that could make use of my computers.

The gauntlet between AMD Users and Ars Technika has been fun and I think we showed them that AMD Users were not the easy push-over that they thought we would be. :icon_wink:

Open to discussion.

Bender10
03-31-2007, 03:57 AM
I've grown attached to this project in the short time I've been here. But the project has changed from a short term to a long term. That changes things quite a bit...

Beerknurd
03-31-2007, 04:18 AM
I have moved the farm to Tanpaku to help regain 1st there.

Team Blueberry Pi, we wish you the best.

BoostedIntegra
03-31-2007, 06:43 AM
what should i put the ole farm on? If we're switching focus to another project i would like to know. I'm here to help you guys out on projects which some opposing team thinks they can come bully you guys out of position. Please let me know. -SVTlightning AKA boostedintegra

Beerknurd
03-31-2007, 07:50 AM
You can help us get our 1st place spot in Tanpaku back...

Evil-Dragon
03-31-2007, 08:13 AM
I will stay with Pi Segment until I reach 100th place overall. After that I will put my computers onto World Community Grid and then move them onto Docking@Home (I've not given them much time lately)

LeBo
03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
I will go to where ever the task force is needed. I'm very easy to get along with (lol) .....:icon_mrgreen:

Opteron
03-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Won't the Blue-Boyz be surprised when they figure out what's really going on? Shhhhhhh

Brucifer
03-31-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't think the "blue boyz" will be surprised really. There's people on their side also that are and have been ready to move back to their primary projects too. Both teams lost a lot of ground in other projects and a lot of people were/are antsy to get back to make up lost ground.

It was interesting viewed from the perspective of a non-participant (I'm linux) in that both teams really had to work at scrounging more team members. And towards the "end" people were starting to stray away for different reasons. So there really wasn't a winner in this. Both AMD and TBP (ARS) were pretty well matched. Some diehards may labor the point but overall it was pretty even steven.

gatekeeper53
03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh I beg to differ. I think there was a huge winner. That was the DC effort in China. They have a great example of just what can be done if people are allowed to work together. The amount of computing power we all displayed should be amazing to anyone with an IQ bigger than their shoesize. Hopefully he Chinese goverment will see the vast resources that their restrictions have been preventing many of their scientific studies from using. But, I don't even agree that neither team won. I think that both teams got more out of this than most of us realize. We have brought old members back into the fold and gained some people that have never done it at all before. True numericaly there was no clear cut winner but. I sure can't find one loser in the bunch. And I haven't had one person say to me that they didn't have fun. And fun is what it's all about.

DarkStar
03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh I beg to differ. I think there was a huge winner. That was the DC effort in China ... And fun is what it's all about.
Good points on both counts. And even if the project is extended, it looks (at least so far) like the current goal of breaking the world record for "calculating a single bit of PI" is still in place, since the stats page still shows that it's 42.98% complete, with 892732 work units remaining unassigned.

Personally, I think we can catch you before that goal is reached, project end or not. So I'm hanging in for now instead of going back to RS/LLR just yet, even though it's my special favorite since I found a prime there late last year.

Unless, of course, your team's interest wanes to the point that we catch you sooner, or both team's interest wanes and the date to reach the intermediate goal starts stretching back out to 60, 90, or more days.