PDA

View Full Version : FreeNas .684

Bender10
04-08-2007, 03:38 PM
:) I was just getting around to fixing (cleaning) my Ubuntu file server box . I was going to add another HD and clean out the dust bunnies.

Then i started thinking (always keep asprin next to the confuser). I had just picked up a 'donated' P4 1.6 ghz box, and was wondering what to do with it. Since my Ubuntu box is a P750 mhz, I thought 'Hey let's toss that'...

So I started smurfing around for an easier (quick and dirty) file server solution. FreeNas .684...Hmmmm.

The test install was a breeze. It took me about 30 minutes (after initial install, setup is WEB GUI), using the online manual. It supports: UFS, FAT, NTFS, EXT2 file systems and booting from USB and CF. And allows SSH access. I'm going to play with this for a bit. Seems like a good program for casual home use. It will even do software raid.

I should be able to throw my existing HD's in here after I play with it for a while. :icon_rolleyes:

Anyone using this? any feedback??

Happy Easter!!

drezha
04-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd never heard of it.

Is this the one your on about?
http://www.freenas.org/

I might try it when I'm getting my file server sorted next week.
From looks it's based on BSD? Never tried that. Downloading the Vmware to try now. Only think is I want my file server to also be my webserver so I'll see if I can get Apache installed and setup. If not I'll stick with FC6 or Ubuntu.

Bender10
04-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, It is based on BSD.

From the looks of the manual this is a basic NAS. No web server stuff.

http://www.freenas.org/downloads/docs/user-docs/FreeNAS-SUG.pdf

I did find this bug in the manual.

Major FreeBSD (underlying OS of FreeNAS) old bug:
Do not write or access to a FAT32 drive across CIFS (Samba) Protocol: It will corrupt some of your files. :icon_redface:

So it looks like you had better be using NTFS! Any W98 users out there?

I liked my Ubuntu, but this is quick, easy and basic. Just fine for now.

drezha
04-08-2007, 10:01 PM
There's a bit of a learning curve I think there as I saw nothing when I started the VM image up. I wasn't expecting a GUI but is it meant to stick at the menu where you can choose 8 or so options?

AFAIK, isn't CIFS the newer version of Samba filesystem? I thought it replaced smbfs?

I need the webserver section so it'll be down to me to sort it out. I think I'll experiment with FC6 again ;) and if I cant get anything working nicely, I'll head back to familiar territory of Debian or Ubuntu. :)

Bender10
04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
The text screen provides means to install NAS OS and mount HD's. then you set the IP in the text screen. and rebooting, you connect using your browser to the IP and continue the setup. Mount drives, services...

You will have 9 options UNTIL you install the os. Then you should see 8 options.

check manual...

Bender10
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
My 'new' file server seems working fine. I've played with some file transfers and installing programs from the server. I am only running a 40G HD right now. I have a pair of 80's I should put in and raid. Since it would be a software raid, it might slow it down a bit...or not.

I like it so far.

Bender10
10-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I just re-started werk on my Free-Nas file server box. I switched to a different box (P4 1.4 Ghz) and decided to Raid 1, a pair of 160 Gig HD's. It's almost done.

I also have another surprise in this box....pictures at 11:00...

Bender10
10-19-2007, 10:23 PM
%$#@*&!#$

I had a bad 160 gig hd on the shelf. I had removed this from a broken box, and was saving it for a special build. Oh well. I did the RAID 1 with a pair of 80's instead (that were good).

These will get me back in the file storage business for a while.

Bender10
10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
I had picked up some new 'Computer Stuff' a few months ago. Then things got busy around the castle (cleaning the moat, walking the dragon, fighting the hoards in distant lands and....you know..).

I finally found a place to experiment with my new 'stuff'. This is pretty cool for me, and kind of a first step...

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5355/p1010196ka5.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010196ka5.jpg)

Ignore the mess in the laboratory (and the crappy photo, sorry). The WHITE face plate holds a CF Drive that is currently booting my file server! Cool...

Don't ask why. It's an EXPERIMENT....Next box to convert will be a cruncher.

EDIT: This thing runs at 52 watts with the 2 drives spun down (powersave mode), and 90 watts during disk access.

Bender10
11-10-2007, 02:21 AM
My new file server has been 'up' for 12 days. I have been sorting, downloading and installing software (to/from the array) from day one. No problems so far.

Access time is ok. I have the drives go to 'sleep' after 20 minutes of inactivity. That adds a short 'lag' when first accessing the array. I should try and simulate a disk failure, maybe this weekend...

Some of the problems encountered seem to deal with newer equipment. The developer has to keep up with the newer hardware, or you have these problems. And using this (Freenas) with hardware raid has it's issues. I am not using the current 'build'. This (.684b) is working fine for now.

My suggestion: Use an old P4 (1.5 ghz or better) with 512 ram. And have fun. Although, anything from a 450mhz or faster will work. :)

drezha
11-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm intrigued by it but I use my NAS/server rig as a main outside server as well so I cant use just FreeNAS on it.