PDA

View Full Version : Thank You (THREAD CLOSED)

vaughan
04-07-2007, 06:01 AM
I hope I'm not too late in saying "thank you" to everyone who helped us in Pi Segment recently.

Normal programming has resumed. :)

Evil-Dragon
04-07-2007, 09:15 AM
TBP are just showing off now by crunching ridiculous numbers. Sod them.

Good work guys anyway for holding them off for as long as possible though!

Frederic Brillouet
04-07-2007, 12:11 PM
at least they think they've won :icon_twisted:

NeoGen
04-07-2007, 11:02 PM
This was one heck of a fight we put up! I'm proud of this Team! :)

Lagu
04-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes I agree with NeoGen:icon_wink:

NVM
04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I still can't help but think using work/school computers is cheating. Looking at people's stats with 20+ computers, how many of them are home computers? Considering the size of the company I work for, I could easily get over 100 machines crunching, but I consider that cheating and showing off. I think these projects should be more about the project and your personal computing power. Any work/school computers can do the crunching, but they should not be counted towards a team. That's just my $.02..

i think you are the only person who thinks that way. if i had permission to use 1000 company computers, why would'nt i use them? a no brainer for me.

Steve Lux
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
If the work is what is important then the more computers doing the work the better - whatever their source. If the score is what is important then yes, it could be considered cheating. I guess it simply depends on your perspective.

Brucifer
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
An interesting issue though. I remember an issue cropping up over Distributed Folding I think it was where there was a Team A and a Team B. Team A had massive power due to team members holding jobs that allowed applying considerable "corporate" computing assets with the points going into the team members accounts. Team B drummed up some other people contributing their personal computers to a team member on Team B. Team A cried fowl, saying that Team B's member didn't "own" those machines. Team B countered that neither did the Team A corporate employees own their computers, rather the use of the corporate computers was a gift to the employee, which was also what other people were doing for the Team B member -- gifting the use of their personal computers to the Team B member.

One could argue that it would be nice if assets were categorized like the home, school, business categories of the boinc application. However that would be a rather "pie in the sky" thing because like about everything else, someone wouldn't approve of how someone else was categorizing computers.

So reality is that it wouldn't work any better than what happens now. I've (and many others) have put sizable bucks into my home farm. I cannot compete with corporate networks on a one for one entity thing. Does it really bother me? No. That's why we have the team concept so that there is a pooling of assets of all types. Bottom line is that there is nothing in life that is fair. Some people have lucky jobs for access to corporate computer assets. Others have lucky good looks to make millions of bucks with. Others have significantly above average brains... and it goes on and on. Bottom line is you play with the cards you are dealt. I don't seriously believe that many people consider that use of corporate computing assets (assuming of course that the corporation gives permission) is cheating, any more than owners of private computers loaning their computers to other's use is cheating. ie your sister gives you permission to borg her 2 computers. Not much different than your boss gives you permission to borg 2 of the companies computers. Just the way life goes in my opinion.

Ototero
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I nice summing up.

AQUAJOE
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Back in my crunching hayday (some of you can remember) I could put up some serious numbers quickly.

Of the machines I had in my asenal only 14 of them were mine. The rest were work machines. I think I ran 60 to 70 or so from there.

Not one person complained at the numbers I put up for them team and where I got them from.

If the company would let me do it again I would jump all over it.

60,000+ Desktops and Laptops
3,000+ Servers (they just put in 40 quad 280 Opterons with 8 gig of ram a piece. With 80 more coming by November.)

I guess I don't think it is cheating. It sucks if you are up against somebody with the numbers but then again if you have the numbers someone else is bumming.

If you only have 1 machine then that is great at least you are doing what you can. If you have access to friends machines and they will crunch for you that is great as well.

If you have access to a huge pool of machines that is great as well. I would not look down on someone because they only have one machine going.

I was in a Team A against Team B, C, D thing back in the day. Then I was only crunching with 10 machines. Thats when I went to work and asked to use machines. I didn't tell anyone.

But I bet they felt the sting when my numbers started posting. Did I feel bad? not really but I bet it ticked a few off. In the end we were all crunching for the same team(it was a race within the overclockers team). So did anybody really get hurt? Nope! and the team got a huge boost in a project.

Now if your competing against other teams thats when you need to watch your butt cause this will surely happen to you at one time or another.

Have fun do what you can. Sometimes the cards will lay in your teams favor and sometimes they won't.

DMMc
04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I still can't help but think using work/school computers is cheating. Looking at people's stats with 20+ computers, how many of them are home computers? Considering the size of the company I work for, I could easily get over 100 machines crunching, but I consider that cheating and showing off. I think these projects should be more about the project and your personal computing power. Any work/school computers can do the crunching, but they should not be counted towards a team. That's just my $.02..
As a Netadmin with about 200 system that I do have the potential to tap if I so desire, ( and I do :icon_wink: ), I must disagree.

If I have systems running DC software that is working on a problem that plagues the world, whether it is medical or mathematical, I am doing it to help solve the problem and not for my own self glory. If I choose to "share" my resources with like minded individuals and join my voice to theirs it should make no difference to those who are truly altruistic and doing this for the project.

I will admit that being able to "fly" past some smart mouth kid in a project with more Ghz than brains is rather pleasant, and I do get a kick out of it.

If my work rules prevented me from using systems here I'd comply, but I personally have designed and overbuilt each of these systems in the last few years so that in 5 years time of being built they will still be viable work systems. For now tho they are Prime DC crunchers and I unabashedly will use them.

Beerknurd
04-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Yes, thank you to all that helped in the Pi race!!!

Accs
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Accs post has been removed. The PI race is over. There will be no name calling or talking down to people. It is ok during a race but there is no need for that now.

This is now over. If you continue to post negative comments you will be banned.

Thanks

Beerknurd

Lagu
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
IsnĀ“t this tread closed?:)

Beerknurd
04-14-2007, 08:35 PM
It's fixing to be...

Beerknurd
04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
This thread has been closed.