PDA

View Full Version : I'll be ready to give it a go when needed.

bwhite
07-24-2004, 03:06 PM
BC that seem strange that you have heard nothing because this is posted on the news piece on the front page of predictor

7/23/04
The performance crisis has calmed down a bit, we are generating mfold WUs again and plan to restart the distribution in the next 12 hours. Keep your machine ready to fire off! Soon details of this adventure will follow on the cs news page :-)

The email between us is sometimes slow & unreliable... i am not surprised as to the status though... but I know the kernel was a mess... it was gen'd for a P-2... the main is a dual xeon 2.66 machine. .... 2 - quad opterons and Suse 9.1 (w/ 64 bit mode) are on the way.

It does mean they solved one problem that was holding us up completely, and I was not aware they fixed the CGI. But am glad.

Our last comm w/ each other was that the WU datbase was going to be filled to the max. ALL raw data would be processed.

expect a 6-8am PST kick-off of Predictor given this info. I know their schedules..... AND... how tired we all are.... I took a 4 hour 'nap' and am up now for just a few minutes, then back to bed.

BC

I'll be ready to give it a go with a comp or 2 when needed.

I have a question:

Where does the work come from for "UnKnown CPU Type"

nickth
07-24-2004, 04:49 PM
:D I have just started to get work from predictor :D

bwhite
07-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I have 1 on it and has received work :)

Ototero
07-24-2004, 06:05 PM
And me.

BC
07-24-2004, 11:29 PM
If you haven't already heard... Predictor is up....

Go for it.!!!!

BC
07-24-2004, 11:41 PM
That problem is in the BOINC core...

SSL is fixing it... it's already addressed in 4.01... just hasn't passed
predictor testing yet .... so won't be used and 'unknowns' will be around
just a little longer.

It is because they query the processor ID (like Wcpuid) and don't have
them all in there... (DUH!) how hard is that to do???

Anyway, you will see it go away as 4.01 (maybe 4.02 at current rate) gets released.

Skuzz
07-24-2004, 11:51 PM
We overtook Nordlichter - Wahoo!

BC
07-25-2004, 12:15 AM
We overtook Nordlichter - Wahoo!

By the time they wake up in the morning.... we will be WAY ahead!!!

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 12:18 AM
I started running it again. 100%. I'll catch Ototero in Ubero later.

BC
07-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Ok guys... we have 1 team gaining on us like crazy (a bunch of overclockers).....

and we are within a couple hundred points of Nordlichter officially..

RALLY TIME....

SOMEONE GET CHAZ AND WEINER!!!!!!

Don't forget Bwhite either!!!

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm back........had to put my computerz :rightfighter5: back together and reload winblows on a couple but im back up

BC
07-25-2004, 01:22 AM
were you playing with Suse???

Ever hear of GHOST???? it works great.. :) I can switch in 20 minutes and not lose a thing. :)

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 01:24 AM
This is off subject, but if you upgrade from XP home to XP pro, do you lose your files?? I want to upgrade but i'm afraid I will lose everything....

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 01:27 AM
Dunno Beerknurd......i know you dont lose em from 98 to xp
And no BC i wasnt playing with SuSe........ive never tried linux and prolly won't till i can get into the class at the college here.....i just did a wipe of a couple a drives that were full of junk

BC
07-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Dunno Beerknurd......i know you dont lose em from 98 to xp
And no BC i wasnt playing with SuSe........ive never tried linux and prolly won't till i can get into the class at the college here.....i just did a wipe of a couple a drives that were full of junk

Just teasin! LOL

Good to have ya back!

let's beat the UK Overclockers.

BC
07-25-2004, 01:32 AM
This is off subject, but if you upgrade from XP home to XP pro, do you lose your files?? I want to upgrade but i'm afraid I will lose everything....

You will not lose anything AS LONG AS IT RECOGNIZES IT AS AN UPGRADE! If it asks about a new install or upgrade... or offers to upgrade, you are all set.

Anything else and it will be like a cold install..

But i think you can upgrade from home to pro .. I think it knows the difference.

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 01:36 AM
thanx...........ive peeked in during the time predictor was down....but ive a sinus infection from hell right now and i may be gone for about a week if the Doctor isnt pleased with what he see's Monday.
I'm trusting you with having P@H up to snuff and crash free during my absence [-o<

BC
07-25-2004, 01:42 AM
thanx...........ive peeked in during the time predictor was down....but ive a sinus infection from hell right now and i may be gone for about a week if the Doctor isnt pleased with what he see's Monday.
I'm trusting you with having P@H up to snuff and crash free during my absence [-o<

Yes sir.. just put it in as a service and you are all set. (assuming w2k or xp)

otherwise start the GUI and minimize (err.. close the window).... set the web page min/max to be 0.1 apart and presto .... auto updates ever 2.4 hours like clockwork with 3.20 boinc. :)

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 01:44 AM
BC.......im seeing more computational errors than ever before

BC
07-25-2004, 01:46 AM
These t0234C series WUs are LONG and worth LOTS of points. :)

but GEEZ.... 1:04:02 on an FX-53?????

LOL

(reaching for nitro and cpu unlock floppy)

actually... I am running at 12x, but capped at 2400 mhz... this thing will multiply up to 25x at least. Can the 2400mhz be unlocked??? Err.. anyone have the unlocker??? I know it exists.

BC
07-25-2004, 01:51 AM
BC.......im seeing more computational errors than ever before

Weiner. you will at first....

let the first batch run through.....

we know about them and already took care of it.

the wuGenerator had a bug... and that same data is reprocessed... (charmms WUs labeled as Mfold)

also the short ones that kick out fast... the input data is bad, the creator of the input data is fixing that too.... none of it is our fault and all of it is known.... just push through that first block... you will not be penalized.

be carefull of losing your original host ID... I lost mine.

I was 2393.. now am 17xxx something. Make sure you check and merge as required.

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 01:56 AM
alrighty then.
ya i noticed i had some 4 minute WU's lol..... not many points for something that fast but man you could crank out a few :shock:

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 02:02 AM
Most of mine run between 1.5 and 2 hours. I like the 4 minute one's too. :)

bwhite
07-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Alrighty then, I'm back.. Found my unknown CPU type problem. It needed a bios flash....have it fixed now. This was important because it's a computer I put toghter yesterday with all the old stuff collecting dust in my office. One more up and running for AMD Users.

Will get all switched back to Predictor ASAP :D

WienerDog
07-25-2004, 02:10 AM
kewl bwhite.
hey that dusty spare parts computer sounds like the last one i put together

BC
07-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Alrighty then, I'm back.. Found my unknown CPU type problem. It needed a bios flash....have it fixed now. This was important because it's a computer I put toghter yesterday with all the old stuff collecting dust in my office. One more up and running for AMD Users.

Will get all switched back to Predictor ASAP :D

All right!!! and thanks!

beware..... there is the chance that the first batch you download will have both computational errors and/or download errors...... these are both known issues but already in the queues... so we have to punch them out......

Just let it do it's thing... spit out the junk... the bad data is charmms labeled as Mfold... and the other is a MFold data input error.... Both are being addressed by them... it's their error and well know.... we won't be penalized.

bwhite
07-25-2004, 02:43 AM
kewl bwhite.
hey that dusty spare parts computer sounds like the last one i put together

It's a Duron 1600 on a cheap MB, case doesn't have front panel or sides anymore (don't have a clue what happened to them??) so hid it under the desk in the corner . Got it to run at a little over 1800M. It hasn't BSOD"d yet so I'll let it crunch a while and keep speeding it up 'til it does!!!

BC
07-25-2004, 02:47 AM
ok

i am posting here too... to all: dump all pre-26 july jobs....

zero credit.... database or something.... others have figured it out...

everyone 'RESET' their project. report deadline expiration in many cases... remember where you are in respect to UTC.

if late... no credits come out.

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 04:03 AM
I am getting a no work from project message. I have no work in my que. How do I get more. It keeps saying deffered for 1 minute???? :crazyeyes:
I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC
07-25-2004, 04:06 AM
I am getting a no work from project message. I have no work in my que. How do I get more. It keeps saying deffered for 1 minute???? :crazyeyes:
I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hang in there... your poor Intel will get work. :P :lol:

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Finally it went through....

3 hour projects!!!!!

I guess that's alot of points though.

BC
07-25-2004, 04:19 AM
Finally it went through....

3 hour projects!!!!!

I guess that's alot of points though.

Yes, but the estimates are a bit high, but the WU Generator is now working properly... :)

AMDave
07-25-2004, 11:43 AM
3 barrels loaded and firing has commenced!

What's wrong with 3 hours ? Scared my legacy machines 'll catch up on ya ? LOL of course not. It looks like we got (some) bigger WUs. they are taking longer to crunch. I still have some short times against some though. Maybe they are more accurate now? Time will tell.

Hey it looks like some DC projects are getting DOSS attacked. SetiBOINC are complaining about one and D2OL web and D2OL Stats web are not responding at the moment (for me anyway) ...hmm ...someone must've got cranky.

--Dave--

BC
07-25-2004, 11:51 AM
3 barrels loaded and firing has commenced!

What's wrong with 3 hours ? Scared my legacy machines 'll catch up on ya ? LOL of course not. It looks like we got (some) bigger WUs. they are taking longer to crunch. I still have some short times against some though. Maybe they are more accurate now? Time will tell.

Hey it looks like some DC projects are getting DOSS attacked. SetiBOINC are complaining about one and D2OL web and D2OL Stats web are not responding at the moment (for me anyway) ...hmm ...someone must've got cranky.

--Dave--

Dave, I fixed a few errors in the WU generators... Michela got the rest of them... Now we have control over how big the WUs are. :)

Also, someone is trying to hit me with a 'double dhcp' server slam..... I just got my IP hard wired.... that'll fix them. :)

AMDave
07-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Great call, Chuck. Nice to see your name on the front page. Well done.

Hm. Ya. Just checked the firewall on my gateway PC. It's blocking about 2 to 3 access attempts per second. No rejections in my proxy daemon yet so it hasn't got through. Seems someone may have set a new "bug" on the loose. Yet another wasted mind making a fool of itself!

Looking forward to seeing what our stats look like when some of our Pending Results catch up.

Off to raise a glass to speiff and his new bride. A beautiful lady with the smile of a princess. Lucky man. Hope she's got an AMD-64 ? (kidding !)

--Dave--

BC
07-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Great call, Chuck. Nice to see your name on the front page. Well done.

Hm. Ya. Just checked the firewall on my gateway PC. It's blocking about 2 to 3 access attempts per second. No rejections in my proxy daemon yet so it hasn't got through.
Seems someone may have set a new "bug" on the loose.
Yet another wasted mind making a fool of itself!

Looking forward to seeing what our stats look like when some of our Pending results catch up.

Off to raise a glass to speiff and his new bride. A beautiful lady with the smile of a princess. Lucky man.
Hope she's got and AMD-64 ? (kidding !)

--Dave--

you hope she's good for 64 bits???? ROFLMAO!!!!! :)

Seriously though... a beautiful bride indeed... I wish them many many happy years.

humbly, thanks... but you all know me now... anything i can ever do to help is what I do... thats just me... and getting this project going is a good cause.

*Edit*
As for pending vs credits... consider whatever was there as zero for now... I asked the DBA to run a special scan to get those unposted ones posted... only drawback we have is that Germany has about an 8 hour jump on us... I know we will get it back,, but we do need our big guns a blazin for the next few days to build up and crank out those heavy WUs.

*end edit*