PDA

View Full Version : Type in the Administrator password

vaughan
07-25-2004, 03:34 AM
Help!
I have a Win XP Home PC that is misbehaving.
It won't boot correctly so I tried the Windows Recovery option. When I have loaded the SATA drivers and it gets to the Recovery phase I'm presented with a message that doesn't makes sense because there isn't one:
Type in the Administrator password.
WTF there isn't one you dumba$s operating system, just fix my Windows!

Does anyone know what the secret is?
(Don't tell me to install Linux!)

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 04:18 AM
You can't just cancel out of it??? Try like 1234 or 4321. Or try administrator as the password. Sometimes that's the default.

vaughan
07-25-2004, 05:22 AM
I gave up and re-installed Windows (4th time now Grrrr!)

AMDave
07-25-2004, 11:50 AM
for next time though..on WinXP home, the administartor is the primary user ID (that's you) and the admin password is your UID password. You do get asked for it during install, but may have set it to auto-login. Write it down and put it with your install CD for the next time you reach for it - being windows that won't be long ;-)

--Dave--

timapplegate04
12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
isnt it asking you to make one?? it does durning the install. its asking you to enter the admin password (that u want to use). i could be wrong. if so its usually defulted as blank on every machiene i have saw. hope this helps

timapplegate04
12-21-2005, 04:41 PM
but the more i think about ut you could be with a screan of just text. i havent used recovery for a long time. try it blank

vaughan
12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tim. It all sorted itself out when I removed te second SATA drive and left just one it the machine. I formatted it and installed Win XP Home original and then applied all the 100s of MB of updates including SP2.

This machine behaves itself now most of the time. I say most as its HSF is not very good and if the room ambient exceeds 28°C this PC shuts itself down.

That being said it really enjoys the pauses when eOn is trying to connect :!: