PDA

View Full Version : d2ol and ubuntu

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 01:31 AM
just loaded up ubuntu 7.04 desktop beta for amd-64. running kernel "Linux ubunto 2.6.20-12-generic #2 SMP" onto an AMD X2. Just positively loves the dnetc 64-bit client. I untared a d2ol install, and fired that off.... :( no go. gives an error saying that ../jre/bin/java can't be found. So I back up a directory, take a peek, and the stuff is there............... ??????? Anyone else running d2ol on ubuntu? This is my first crack at ubuntu-64 and wondering is there is some dark secret? The same tar file fires off okay on Suse/Slack.

Big Whiskey
05-04-2007, 03:09 AM
well that answered that question

I was going to ask you how to set d2ol with new Ubuntu next week?

I got a new toy, a Watt-meter, now I know how much I can load on a circuit
there's some older parts I can put together (3 or 4 more boxes)
but I don't want to waste money on Windows to get them running

the last time I tried Ubuntu(5.something) it worked fine on some boxes,on other boxes I lost video output and I didn't have the patience to fix the
configuration files for video then

is there a distro of Linux that will boot most of the time no matter what hardware you have, even to a command prompt?

Bender10
05-04-2007, 03:23 AM
Tried this?

yum install compat-libstdc++-2

From the D2OL site....may or may not werk.

Also found this on ARS...

http://teamfrozenyogurt.com/d2ol/linuxerr1.html

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 03:39 AM
No, that isn't the problem I'm having. Been down that road with Suse though. :)

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 03:40 AM
is there a distro of Linux that will boot most of the time no matter what hardware you have, even to a command prompt?

Try CentOS.

drezha
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Knoppix and Damn Small Linux boot everytime (at least when I've used them they have)

just a thought, if you've been using 64 bit dnet, you may need the 32 bit compatibility libraries.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs should sort you out. part of that is a java compatibility one.

spikey_richie
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Nobody has suggested Gentoo :icon_rolleyes:

drezha
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Cos you have to compile a lot yourself. :p

I want plug n play, even if it means bloatware. (cos it's still less bloaty than Windows)
Maybe I'll give Gentoo a whirl over the holidays...

Brucifer
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I ended up loading SimplyMepis 6.5.02, 64-bit. It took off running two instances of d2ol just fine without having to mess with any compatibility issues. It even loaded on my S series Gigabyte with a sata drive with no problem recognizing the cd/dvd as I'd been having with OpenSuse.