PDA

View Full Version : Zebra RSA Bruteforce

Evil-Dragon
05-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi guys and gals, another BOINC project for you to take part in.

Site: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/
Account Creation: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/create_account_form.php
Team Link: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/team_display.php?teamid=22

I would assume by the project title that the project works on brute force cracking of RSA.

AMD-USR_JL
05-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I joined, but there is no work. :( Thanks for the info and look you are UOTD, Evil-Dragon.

Nflight
05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Evil-Dragon is User of the Day! I don't speak German so I have no idea who this benefits, the public or some entity that will be making a profit off of some sort of gimmick. I am just speaking my thoughts here, I am not attempting to deter people from finding these types of projects. Please don't read through this with anger, I am thinking through this type of procurement. Who will this benefit, us little people or the criminal minds behind it all. Like I said I don't think like other people, coming from the Security minded professionals I affiliate with this is my course of thought.

Have a nice Day :icon_neutral:

Beerknurd
05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I joined....

spikey_richie
05-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Evil-Dragon is User of the Day! I don't speak German so I have no idea who this benefits, the public or some entity that will be making a profit off of some sort of gimmick. I am just speaking my thoughts here, I am not attempting to deter people from finding these types of projects. Please don't read through this with anger, I am thinking through this type of procurement. Who will this benefit, us little people or the criminal minds behind it all. Like I said I don't think like other people, coming from the Security minded professionals I affiliate with this is my course of thought.

Have a nice Day :icon_neutral:

Amen to that! Cracking encryption codes does nothing for society or the human race IMHO.

Beerknurd
05-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Yea, I don't think I'm gonna mess with this one....... Google translation...

Everything is about a RSA-Smartcard.

- There is an Operating System on this Card.
- This accepts only RSA-crypted applications. These Applications are protected by a checksum. This checksum is also crypted by an RSA key.
- Known is the Key-pair for Applications, but NOT for the checksum.
- There is no support anymore for this Smartcard.
- We are trying to break the RSA-key for the checksum by Brute-forcing.

Goal:

- With the Key we can upload own applications to the Smartcard or upload a new "Operating System"
- The key will be published. The Project origins from an idea in a forum.

* The Modulus is 512bit long.
* public exponent is known.

Second goal (for me an all interested people):

-Understand RSA, primes and develop an effective Bruteforcer.

I am a Computer Sience student. Greets - Darkscout

AMD-USR_JL
05-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I think if you crack the RSA one you get 10,000 USD.

NeoGen
05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm in it! I've made studies on RSA cracking a few years ago.
They say the project goal is to break the cypher of an old RSA-smartcard that is not in use anymore. The lenght of the key is 512bits.
512 bit keys and higher have already been broken on RSA's own public challenge, and RSA has advised people to make keys 1024bits or longer for many years, so I don't think breaking this old key will harm anyone.

But, from what I recall from my own personal studies, "brute-forcing" is... an immense waste of computer cycles... when there are amazing algorithms out there (GNFS comes to mind...) capable of breaking RSA keys with a very small fraction of the computer power spent by brute forcing.

Beerknurd
05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
For some reason I doubt this project will be around very long...

NeoGen
05-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Depends on what kind of support it will get... Primegrid is also another brute-forcing project and it has been around for quite a while. ;)
But I like PrimeGrid because of the "other side" of the project, that is developing the PerlBoinc platform.

Beerknurd
05-04-2007, 11:27 PM
There isn't any work anyways...

Evil-Dragon
05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll do some work on this one when it gets some work since i tend to be doing a fair bit of maths based projects at the moment. I've done my fair share of science based projects (climate change, rosetta, docking, proteins, tanpaku, simap, wcg, etc..) so it's time to do some maths!

EDIT: Oh and if a mod/admin wants me to transfer the team over at any point then just either pm me or email me.

AMD-USR_JL
05-04-2007, 11:41 PM
We need more people at Gerasim@home. They at least have work for new members. I think if everyone joined, we could be in the top 10, maybe top 5. Each WU takes 5 seconds and you can get 50 per core.

http://gerasim.boinc.ru/Gerasim/
It's best viewed in IE. All the tables get messed in Firefox for some reason.

Evil-Dragon
05-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Gerasim@home is using the default boinc test application 'uppercase'. It is simply for testing only.

Ototero
05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
I'll get this added to the stats tomorrow.

NeoGen
05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Vaughan, you're showing up on Gerasim@Home as someone from Afghanistan. Was it you on purpose or is it like the default country setting for people who don't set one?

vaughan
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah I know but it won't allow me to change it to Australia. I gave up trying to change it. Stoopid project. :icon_twisted:

NeoGen
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I just switched to "International" and it worked. Don't know if it matters but I'm using IE7.
Now if only I could get in the site again to change back to Portugal... I think the site just went down.