PDA

View Full Version : High Power Job

Nflight
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
There is not much I can say but to watch this man work!
http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower

drezha
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow...

Speechless really..
Thats looks amazing!

LeBo
05-08-2007, 02:30 PM
It takes all kinds in this world. Very, very brave or either very, very crazy.

Opteron
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks fun...:icon_mrgreen:

spikey_richie
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
What exactly were they doing? Looked rather pointless to me, just shimmying along some high-voltage wires.

Does look very very scary though, and very dangerous!

Beerknurd
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Yea... I'm not sure about all that.... I don't think I'll be applying for that position...

NeoGen
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know what he was gonna do there... but nevertheless I'm speechless!

Lagu
05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Is it a 400.000 volts wire? How could he neutralise it? It should be interesting know what the 2 guys were doing.:icon_wink:

Nflight
05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Lagu: There is commentary while the film is running, let me explain. There is one man who is explaining what they are doing and how they can do that job. There white suits are made up of a type of material known as Nomex, this material is fire retardant. The suit is also running with about 25% steel wire in it, which correlates to the high voltage surrounding the individual while he works on the wires high above the ground. The theory is a man named Faraday hypothesized that if you surround a man with wire and then the wire should protect the man from any shock danger. This is the real purpose of this video to teach people that because our great demand for electricity is so great people have to be able to devise ways to maintain the high voltage lines without turning off the power. A fascinating video as you can see all the remarks from the rest of the team. Since you can not hear the commentary I thought I would write this up for your benefit.

Bender10
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
One of the guys at work said there was a 1 hour show on PBS about this subject. This clip is from that show, he thinks....

Lagu
05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Lagu: There is commentary while the film is running, let me explain. There is one man who is explaining what they are doing and how they can do that job. There white suits are made up of a type of material known as Nomex, this material is fire retardant. The suit is also running with about 25% steel wire in it, which correlates to the high voltage surrounding the individual while he works on the wires high above the ground. The theory is a man named Faraday hypothesized that if you surround a man with wire and then the wire should protect the man from any shock danger. This is the real purpose of this video to teach people that because our great demand for electricity is so great people have to be able to devise ways to maintain the high voltage lines without turning off the power. A fascinating video as you can see all the remarks from the rest of the team. Since you can not hear the commentary I thought I would write this up for your benefit.

Thanks Nflight.

I appreciate your consideration. I didnĀ“t know that. When watching YouTube for example am seldom avare there is any sounds. Somtimes the pictures talk for itself.:)

drezha
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
A man named Faraday? Only one of the most important men in history ;) Definitely one of the greatest physicists ever.

BlackAdder
05-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi All,I used to build substations for Dominion Virginia Power, I was a controls foreman and my men and I hooked up all the control wiring from the control house to everything in the yard. As already said these guys are inspecting and or working on the high voltage transmission lines. They actually hook themselves up to the wire so their bodies are at the same "potential" as the wires. These looked like they were around 500,000 volts by the length of the insulators. This is a normal thing that is done and it is safe if the steps you take to hook yourself up ( and unhook yourself ) is done in the proper order.
However their is not enough money anywhere to get me up there and do that...I got as close as 10 feet from 500,000 volts terminating a new circuit breaker head (6 six of them ) and the static was out of this world....I'll stay on the ground thank you !!! :)

Ototero
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
The closest I got was my nose 1cm from a 415 volt busbar while my hands were behind it working.