PDA

View Full Version : Catching Up on Things.....

Bender10
05-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I've been looking around trying to catch-up on stuff.

(get comfortable..:icon_mrgreen: ...)

A. It really does seem that DC may be going 'Corporate', sort of. There are a couple of 'teams / farms' (country and school based) around racking up stats like crazy. It is really amazing what you can do when you focus 100, 300 or "900" people running only 1 box each.

The stats thing is a double-edged sword. Awarding points gives the 'user' a sense of accomplishment. And yet points foster competition. And competition fosters 'one-up-manship' (we are better than you). If you look too deep into this, it will drive you crazy.

B. Everyone here has their 'pet' projects. And I think that is super. I don't mind someone telling me "I ONLY run <insert your fav here>", be it Reisel, Dnet, Seti, WCG or whatever. That tells me you have put (hopefully) some thought into what you are doing. But at the same time, most of us will pitch in on a 'Team' project to lend a hand, because that is what the 'Team' thing is all about.

I like being up in the stats (on my pet projects :icon_cool:), and that is a byproduct of my believing in the benefits of that project. But I won't loose sleep if one of my computers goes down for a while. Running up points for a worthy project = 'good' in my way of thinking, be it 1st place or last. It helps if the project sponsor puts out progress reports on a regular basis (and not just 'scientific fluff', white papers).

C. In conclusion...We are getting 'Spanked' on Tanpaku (2nd place by Thursday AM I think). I say 'Good Job' :wav: to Team 2ch. They really have achieved something in a short amount of time on Tanpaku. '2ch' did a great recruiting job, for a country based project they believe worthwhile (I hope). I don't mind being 2nd to this group of people (but there are others, I would rather be in front of...).

Now if they drop it a couple of weeks from now.....:icon_rolleyes:

Other Stuff:

I just did my bi-weekly D2OL dump....Geez, you guys have been doing pretty good.

Are we still doing the 'Race' this month?

And how are you doing with the 'Dice Stacking' Beerknurd?

Does the 60 Gig PS3 have enough disk space to 'Crunch' and game? Ok, why play Games on a 'Cruncher', I know, I know...

Keeley Hazell....mmm...And I thought you guys were just here for the sparkling conversation, and Hi-tech nerdy stuff. GO TEAM!!!! :icon_biggrin:

Ototero
05-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice little summary Bender. You should do one more often.

This Keeley girl is causing a stir. Perhaps we should have a (clean) forum where we put our favourite girl.

Beerknurd
05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
It does suck to lose 1st place in a project, but how are we gonna compete with that?? And even if we put up even a little bit of resistance, they would just recruit a few hundred members from their WCG team, and really spank us.

I hope we are still doing the race...

HA!!! Dice stacking is for losers.... (I only say that cause I can't do it) I tried but there are a few dents in the wall caused by airborne dice... Don't worry... I'll blame it on the dog. :) I'm thinking that the dice are suppost to stay in the cup, but that's the part I can't figure out. Screw making them stand up... I'll view myself as a winner if I can keep from flinging them all over my office.

I love technical nerd talk as much as the next guy... But it's also nice to see a beautiful woman, with a beautiful body, wearing your favorite football clubs jersey. When you combine the 2 into 1 website, well that's just about as close to heaven on earth as you can get...

Nflight
05-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Very Well said Bender10, and yes I totally agree there Ototero he should do that more often. Beerknurd, we understand your frustration with that display of articulated dice dueling, I too watched in amazement knowing that it does take some skill to accomplish what that guy does.
Applause Applause Bender10, I second the motion Ototero, and Beerknurd, they call it practice, practice, practice. :icon_razz:

Frederic Brillouet
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
It does suck to lose 1st place in a project, but how are we gonna compete with that?? And even if we put up even a little bit of resistance, they would just recruit a few hundred members from their WCG team, and really spank us.

I hope we are still doing the race...

HA!!! Dice stacking is for losers.... (I only say that cause I can't do it) I tried but there are a few dents in the wall caused by airborne dice... Don't worry... I'll blame it on the dog. :) I'm thinking that the dice are suppost to stay in the cup, but that's the part I can't figure out. Screw making them stand up... I'll view myself as a winner if I can keep from flinging them all over my office.

I love technical nerd talk as much as the next guy... But it's also nice to see a beautiful woman, with a beautiful body, wearing your favorite football clubs jersey. When you combine the 2 into 1 website, well that's just about as close to heaven on earth as you can get...
is that a requirement? or is a random t-shirt good enough as well? I havent been able to make The Veronicas wear a football jersey yet, but i'll get there in the end hehehe:icon_mrgreen:

and bender10, I love this, i agree with Ototero.

Happy dice slinging by the way beer:icon_mrgreen:

Opteron
05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
That was a nice piece Bender... And I for one am only here for the sparkling conversation I don't know who posted with my screen name in the GOTM thread...:icon_mrgreen: