PDA

View Full Version : How long will XP last?

Ototero
05-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Read the answer here.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/25252;_ylt=An9vpwOk9cHeG3G0HM_5xzIrLpA5

The short answer (as has been stated by me in another post) is 2015.

Lagu
05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks Ototero for this link.

It is good readng. For me is XP numero ONE so far. Togheter with Win 98 and XP they have been the most stable and easy to use system they have developed. I have millenium on my old Intel only because 98 some project not can run under this op. I long not for Vista yet.:)

gamer007
05-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Heh, I went back to XP. Installing the Eset Security beta caused a OS failure (possible driver corruption since it doesn't get past bootscreen and BSODs. Even in safe mode!). I managed to recover most of my stuff and happily back on XP. :)

The only chance I'm going back to Vista is if I get a DX10 card.

PoorBoy
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
From what I'm reading in that article there's a possibility that Microsoft might stop Activating Windows XP some time in the future ... :icon_mad: ... That's pure BS if they do, it would be like a car company putting a chip in the vehicle & after so many years the car wouldn't start anymore thus forcing you to buy a new one.

But I suppose by then there will be enough sites around to hack the Activation Code & places where you could download any updates you wanted. Myself whenever I have to install a OS or re-install 1 I just install the OS & SP1 or sometimes SP2. I don't ever go to the Microsoft Site and get any other Updates, it's just more bloat to me that really doesn't need to be installed.

I've never been hacked & if I was it's not that big a deal to format and re-install the OS again. I've done it so often it second nature to me anymore.

Opteron
05-19-2007, 12:20 PM
if I was it's not that big a deal to format and re-install the OS again. I've done it so often it second nature to me anymore.

LOL... Me too..:icon_mrgreen:

BlackAdder
05-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Yea I ran Vista Business for a few weeks and went back to XP too, I have read that if you install Vista as a upgrade Microsore deactivates your XP key so it can't be activated again. I did not have that problem but I hear it is real. I use the autopatcher program to install most of my OS updates now, and it has many other extra's too if you look thru it's interface before you install it's updates...:)