PDA

View Full Version : You can install Vista Upgrade without XP

Ototero
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
An interesting acticle.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/14961

LeBo
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
I have a XP Pro licensed copy and I didn't want to install on top of an old copy of XP . So, I bought a copy of Vista ultimate and installed this way and it works.

LeBo
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I just had too many issues with Vista (32 bit). I uninstalled it and reinstalled XP Pro. I believe that XP crunches faster than Vista. I will try it again later after SP1.

PcManiac
05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I just installed Vista Business 64 bit for the 3rd time :D
This time it is permanent ... I think ...

Anyway, so far the only problem seems to be my audio driver, but I"ll get that worked out eventually.

EDIT: Wait a sec, I just realized that I installed it on a bare drive like the article lol...

Keith75
05-25-2007, 02:20 AM
I have been running Vista 64-bit for about 4 months now on two machines. One is an Intel Core 2 Duo machine and the other is an old Athlon 3000+ Barton. While it is slightly sluggish sometimes on the 3000+, mainly because the HD is slower, I have been pretty happy with it and haven't had any problems or programs that wouldn't run.

Keith

Strongbow
05-25-2007, 06:11 AM
The only minor issue I had was with my NetGear wireless LAN card as NetGear say that they do not (and will not) support 64bit Vista:icon_rolleyes:. However, the OEM for most of their cards is Atheros and they have written drivers for pretty much all O/S so finding a Vista x64 drivers was fairly simple.

Apart from that hiccup I'm very pleased with it - UAC is a pain and will stay switched off - the Media Center update is very good!

Reliability, OK so far - well I installed it onto virgin disks and have had no crashes! so it's looking good!

Robert P. Herbst
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I have Windows Vista Ultimate running on three 64 bit AMD dual core computers. The results with Boinc's SETI@home seem to vary on each machine giving spurts of good results next to long periods of slow results. I can't quite figure out why. Two of the computers use only Bonic's SETI@home, everything else is shut down on them.