PDA

View Full Version : Software Firewall ?

LeBo
05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Do you run a software firewall behind a DHCP router. And if you do, why? Which firewall do you run?

Ototero
05-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Free Zonealarm. An excellent product.

http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

Lagu
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a inbuilt firewall on my antivirs software Panda. I use this rather than Windows own.:icon_wink:
I have also Zone Alarm Pro but I didnt use it. But it is a very good firewall but you must pay for it.:icon_rolleyes:

drezha
05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I run zonealarm on my laptop because I use it wirelessly. I also use the Uni wireless whilst in the library so need it there.

I dont run a firewall on my linux machine because it's behind a DCHP router and the router seems fairly good and blocking ports.

gamer007
05-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm currently using the Windows default firewall along with my router. I was using Agnitum Outpost (great firewall), but it conflicts with one of my games for some crazy odd reason.

I was going to try using Eset's Security suite with has the NOD32 AV and a firewall, but it doesn't like my computer and freezes as soon as it's installed. :( That's how Vista crashed on my computer, unfortunately.

Opteron
05-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I run ZA Pro and Kerio together with Norton Anti-Virus... because you can never be secure enough on the NET...:icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
05-28-2007, 03:49 AM
ZA Pro here.

AQUAJOE
05-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Astaro Firewall you can't beat it. And there is a free version.

http://www.astaro.com/products/astaro_security_gateway

I have been using this system for over 5 yrs.

Ototero
05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Opteron, if you get rid of Norton AV, you'll notice your compy is MUCH faster. Find another AV.

Opteron
05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Hey Opteron, if you get rid of Norton AV, you'll notice your compy is MUCH faster. Find another AV.

I've tried a bunch of stuff most of which turned out to be resource hogs...

Most notably :qleft7: CA / Etrust:qright5: anti virus and Norton to seemed to be the least of the evils... What AV are you all using???

LeBo
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I use NOD32. Set it up and forget it. Never any virus yet that I know that has gotten by it.

tek182
05-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi LeBo,
Zonealarm is good. I use AVG Anti-Virus with Firewall. Norton is a resource hog. Here is a good and free port scanner, It is called Shields-Up. http://www.grc.com/default.htm
It will check your computer and see which or any ports you have open to the world on your computer. Good luck..... :D

Ototero
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
I use AVG Free + Zone Alarm Free.

tek182
06-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Hi All,
I have cleaned up so many computers that were running Norton AV and McAfee AV. There are Trojan disablers written specifically for Norton and McAfee AVs'. I cleaned a computer with Norton 2002 W/current updates just last week. 7 different viruses and 499 different spyware items were on that computer! I cleaned it with AVG AV and AVG Anti-spyware. That was just an example, I have cleaned a lot more than that. I also have written my own bootable XP Self-Repair CD which I use all the time to scan for viruses and spyware, checking the hard drives for errors, defragmenting hard drives and for command line ntfs access. It also includes some free utilities on it and all the updates for Windows XP. Well, I just thought I would throw some info to you all. Take care all!

tek182

Ototero
06-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm with you Tek, Norton and McAfee are so popular, the virus writers have found their way around it.

Grisoft products work great.

LeBo
06-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Anyone ever used Smoothwall? I'm looking into using Smoothwall as a firewall.

Strongbow
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Never used Smoothwall! I just lock down my router!

If all else fails then just install Vista as it doesn't even trust the user - typical Vista UAC comment "Just checking that you are sure you're sure that you want to run the application that you double clicked on just then and that I've asked you once before!" :icon_lol:

Nflight
06-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I just lock down my router!

If all else fails then just install Vista as it doesn't even trust the user

What a comment, if all else fails install Bill Gates Crap as he doesn't even trust his own disciples, employees, and customers. No wonder I want off Windoze !

Ototero
07-04-2007, 06:20 PM
ZoneAlarm vista firewall is here, both free and paid versions. Nearly 18 megs.

It seem to work fine. Looks and feels just like the XP version.

Rob Olson Sr
07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I used to use ZA but stopped once I realized it was just not worth the effort. The Router has all the firewall I need and all I ever should need. A software firewall just uses resources that I could use elsewhere....

I use SAV Corp 10.... very nice and not as much of a pig as Norton is...even though they are from the same company....