PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap!

Alex64
05-25-2007, 06:24 AM
This guy just joined the project May 3rd of this year.

http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/hosts_user.php?userid=9093

Beerknurd
05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
I edited the above post to say crap instead of S***

Saying the S*** inside of a forum isn't so bad. But not in the title of a post listed on the front page.

Beerknurd
05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
What team is that guy on by the way???

NeoGen
05-25-2007, 07:34 AM
http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/show_user.php?userid=9093

None

Beerknurd
05-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Dang... We should try and recruit him...

PoorBoy
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I stopped running Riesel Sieve sometime ago, anymore you almost need a Lawyer to try and figure out what the heck is going on over there. With all the different Sieves, App's, Ranges, LLr this, LLr that it's just to confusing to to try and muck thru it all.

I tried setting up RS on 1 of my PC's this morning again & after about an hour of confusion I just gave up on it. Trying to follow the latest App instructions gets you no where because it simply doesn't jive with what is downloaded from the RS Site.

There are way to many other Projects out there that require a lot less input to run to be bothered with it all that Riesel Sieve puts you thru ... Prime Grid is getting the same way it seems, I doubt if I'll ever run either one of them ever again ...

AMD-USR_JL
05-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Dang... We should try and recruit him...
Yea, how do you get his e-mail? I searched on google, but John Wells is an actor, dead senator, and a musician. That was just the first 3 sites, he's hard to find.

spikey_richie
05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2250

Someone registered on Riesel forums could PM him

Lagu
05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I guess he didn’t join us because he seems be a silent guy. No posting, no avatar only crunching. :icon_mad:

drezha
05-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I stopped running Riesel Sieve sometime ago, anymore you almost need a Lawyer to try and figure out what the heck is going on over there. With all the different Sieves, App's, Ranges, LLr this, LLr that it's just to confusing to to try and muck thru it all.

I tried setting up RS on 1 of my PC's this morning again & after about an hour of confusion I just gave up on it. Trying to follow the latest App instructions gets you no where because it simply doesn't jive with what is downloaded from the RS Site.

I just joined and it started sieving for me. Which is fine. But if you want to find a prime you have to LLr and yes, you do have to tick one little box in the RS preferences box:icon_wink:

From sounds you've been trying to setup the non BOINC version where sieve ranges were manually inputted etc. Now it's all automatic on BOINC.:)

PoorBoy
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I just joined and it started sieving for me. Which is fine. But if you want to find a prime you have to LLr and yes, you do have to tick one little box in the RS preferences box:icon_wink:

From sounds you've been trying to setup the non BOINC version where sieve ranges were manually inputted etc. Now it's all automatic on BOINC.:)

That's entirely possible but it's no big deal to me anyway. I dont understand what the big deal is if you do find a Prime. Say you find a Prime, ya, so now what, has it any real purpose other than finding it.

Is it going to save any lives, other than garnering Credits at any of these Number Sites I don't see any real reason to be processing for them when their are so many other real Scientific Projects out there.

That's my thoughts on the Number or Prime Projects unless somebody can tell me what benefit it really serves to be finding them.

Steve Lux
05-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with you PoorBoy. I prefer medical research that can potentially save lives, or scientific research that can help us understand climate change. Molecular or space research can be useful also. I have contributed to other projects, such as RieselSieve, but only when specifically requested to support the team.

The only reasons I contribute to Majestic-12 are because it doesn't really effect my crunching capacity, helps to prevent loss of position for the team (we need help in MJ-12 BWT) and it could help improve the effeciency of internet search tools - which I use a lot. (The slowest computer I have access to, my son's laptop, is crunching for RS at the moment because it was having trouble running D2OL and having trouble getting WUs from Proteins.)

drezha
05-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I fully agree with helping out what I class as worthwhile subjects (such as CPDN, SIMAP, Predictor etc) but having done Folding for about a year to get 100K, I thought I'd let my hair down and I've started crunching some more of RS.

Dont see the point to it myself, but it could potentially be helpful somewhere along the lines in other projects (no idea how or why but considering all other projects are based around maths somehow...yes, they are so dont say there not...CPDN will use mathmatical calculations etc) so it's possible it could help.

Besides the project owners are great guys and give a crap unlike SETI it seems.

Anyhow, when I get to a certain point, I'll probably slow it down. Mind I'm currently almost 100% of TPR's output on the project :p

Alex64
05-29-2007, 07:32 AM
RS is one of the few projects that will probably complete its goal. In my view SETI at this point is a waste of cycles seeing as we'll end up killing ourselves before any human ever sees an intelligent life form from another planet. The folding like projects in my mind is also a waste as the pharmaceutical companies will most likely just sit on or are already sitting on any significant advancements.

Primegrid is nice but the app that only complies a list of prime numbers is a total waste since we all know the list is infinite anyway. Finding huge primes is nice, but ultimately is useless for the same reason. RS at least is proving something, finding primes along the way is helpful in RS because it greatly reduces the remaining k,n pairs that need to be checked.

The only other worthy projects are QMC, LHC, Einstein, Rectilinear and ClimatePrediction .

vaughan
05-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I guess the decision as to what project(s) to run is multi-factorial. There are personal life experiences to consider such as relatives and friends dying from cancer that would influence your choice. Also there are things like how easy the project is to run like small or large downloads, reliability of the client - does it get errors often? - is the server available to send and receive tasks, are the tasks huge like Climate Prediction or small like Chess960@Home, does the client favor certain CPUs like Seventeen or Bust or LLR'ing that excel on P4s or Sieving that is quick on Athlons, does the project have a simple interface like eOn or a pretty screensaver like Einstein. Some people are driven by the statistics more than others, some like the competition, some like the "Science", some like the warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a team effort.

There are many reasons to consider before spending your time, electricity and donating your CPU time and the PC's resources on a DC project.

Personally, I enjoy a well run project and have financially assisted both PrimeGrid (a little) and Riesel Sieve (a lot) because I respect the people running both those projects. It helps that being a professional Scientist I like Science :icon_wink:. My job is centered on Life Sciences so I figure I spend enough of my time in that area in my day job. So for the rest of the time I like to dabble with some of the Math projects, as well as trying any new start-up projects, well mainly because they are there. :)

My 2c

PoorBoy
05-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Your absolutely right Vaughan, it's each person decision on which Project to run & nobody should be pushed into running a Project just because it's somebody else's favorite Project.

Lagu
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
:hello: PoorBoy!

I think we all is individualists and as you we choose what project we want to run without ulterior motive. Many choose a project they like and crunch it. We run it for fun and I hope you too is of same option. Members has chosen LLR or PrimeGrid or whatever they found attractive. You have sure read how happy members has been when they found a prime and I haven’t anything to say about it. Of source they got extra point but it is the whole.

I haven’t seen you have mentioned WCG for example. WCG runs 4 different project as Fight@Home, Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy, Genome Comparison and Human Proteome Folding. It is important save life but likely important search after a solution for millions of peoples as everyday not can go to a work because their illness as not have a solution yet. Not to forget, Aids as has affected so many and many died every day. Isn’t that worth crunch for and perhaps save life a nice day?

I myself is deaf and no one should be more happy if they had a project as could find a solution so I could hear again but to be deaf isn’t the worlds most important for the scientists. Why? Yes we are a little group and nothing to earn money for. Sadly it is other groups as is small too and have various types of illness and handicap as not is a real goldmine.:(

Some members has a friend, a mother, a father, a brother and a sister as have died of cancer or difficult illness and they have choose to honour them after their death and run a project as has a connection to the cause to their lost. Let us all respect it with all our reverence.

My 2 cents :)

jmblazek
05-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Well said, Vaughan!!!:icon_thumright:

Strongbow
05-31-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm just a BOINC Gypsy at the moment as I haven't found the 'one' I really like!

It's not the points, if it was then I'd power all my systems up, it's about finding a project that I feel needs my support - be that maths or science - and has admin who care about the crunchers and are accessible!

drezha
05-31-2007, 10:55 AM
I think the faster I help RS finish, the faster I can run other projects as I see RS will one day finish where as things like CPDN will carry on for posibly ever. (well as long as funding and people are there to run it and analyse results)

jmblazek
06-13-2007, 04:14 AM
I thought the title of the thread also fits this announcement.

Anyone see what SETI.USA is doing. Since this past weekend they have laid down some massive numbers...and it doesn't look like they are slowing up.

At their current rate, we are toast in 3 days! OUCH!!!

Outlaw9876
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Greetings from Germany to our green allies! :icon_razz:

I am a member of Planet 3DNow! ---> http://www.planet3dnow.de

Right now we are on Pos. 8 in Riesel Sieve and try to climb even higher. :icon_mrgreen:

What´s going on with you guys?
You must stop SETI.USA on there Boinc domination tour.

So please mobilize your AMD powers and get back in this fight. :icon_wink:

Best regards

Outlaw9876

Bender10
06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Do you mean SETI.usa?

Or mac2312 and his university sized computer armada.....

Outlaw9876
06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Do you mean SETI.usa?

Or mac2312 and his university sized computer armada.....

:icon_mrgreen: That´s the problem.
But don´t ask that question SETI.USA directly - maybe they will get angry :-(

Let´s combine our green AMD powers and show them what real communities can achieve :icon_mrgreen:

CarcinogenX
08-12-2007, 07:58 AM
You people are all so lucky. Newbies like me a destined for a life in the shadows below all those factors you have found. It's great for RS, but not so much for us. I was thrilled to find about 20 primes after only receiving 10,000 credits.
Please slow down. What will be left for our kids??