PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Alpha Project Summary ... !!!

PoorBoy
05-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Yesterday Gamer007 was gracious enough to give me his BOINC Alpha Project Account, I thank him again for that ... :)

Anyway after running some Wu's there I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't much to see there. If you like getting 0.03 Credits for the minute + long Wu's then it may be your type of Project. I figure my HT P4 3.4Ghz PC can amass the grand total of about 76 Credits a day @ that rate ... :icon_rolleyes:

The way I look at it is the Wu's are only about 60-75 seconds long, that's not a problem as I like short Wu's anyway, maybe a little longer than that though. But then you have to Upload this 4+ mb File back to the server, I figure doing that alone is worth more than 0.03 Credits ... :icon_lol: ... I ran into a problem with that already on 1 of my Quads, the Quad was spitting out 4 Wu's every 60 seconds and the Uploading couldn't keep up with it so I started to get a backlog of Wu's waiting to Upload. It would probably be a good Idea if your going to run the Project to just run it 10% or a little more of the time.

It looks like they have a Quorum of about 6 or 7 too, give me a break, for a minute long Wu you need a Quorum that big ... :icon_rolleyes:

Also there's not much going on in the Forum that I can see, the last Post was something like 46 Days ago, other than getting an Account & running a few Wu's just to say you ran the project there really isn't anything else to do there ... IMO

LeBo
05-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a waste of time to me. 4 meg upload, no way for me..:-(

Bender10
05-27-2007, 02:35 PM
The info on the project was that you should not expect to earn ANY :icon_rolleyes: credit running Alpha Test wu's. They want you to run a series of tests to determine/find flaws in the "Development version BOINC" (5.9.12) software on various platforms. This includes running some other DC projects on the test client.

http://isaac.ssl.berkeley.edu/alpha/

Here is the Home Page with the guidance for being a Tester. I haven't started yeti. After the Holiday...:icon_mrgreen:

There is no stats here, just client testing....

NeoGen
05-27-2007, 04:03 PM
I heard about this. It's where they test the alpha boinc clients, right?
I think the participants there have to run a battery of tests on each release berkeley makes before the release goes to the public, right?

Bender10
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry PoorBoy,

I goofed. Looks like there are stats...:icon_redface: (but you knew that).

But, It is just a test project for new boinc clients...

PoorBoy
05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry PoorBoy,

I goofed. Looks like there are stats...:icon_redface: (but you knew that).

But, It is just a test project for new boinc clients...

Ya I knew that or they wouldn't be giving out any Credit. Some of the other Projects have the same Goals, testing for new BOINC Clients and they give a lot more than the Alpha Project.

I don't expect a whole lot of Credit from a Project although I do actively seek out the Projects that give me the most without any fiddling around with the Benchmarks.

It's almost as if the Alpha Project is saying com-on & Test for us for nothing ... :icon_rolleyes: ... If I can't get more than 1.5 Credits an hour I may as well turn off my PC's, it's not worth the Electricity I have to Pay to run them in that event ...

gamer007
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I didn't do any work while I had the account. All I did was report whether I had any bugs w/ the new version (Running 5.9.12) in the survey-like part.

vaughan
05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't expect a whole lot of Credit from a Project although I do actively seek out the Projects that give me the most without any fiddling around with the Benchmarks.

BOINC Riesel Sieve is generous :icon_wink:

PoorBoy
05-30-2007, 01:56 AM
BOINC Riesel Sieve is generous :icon_wink:

I'm to Stupid to run the Riesel Sieve Project anymore ... :icon_mrgreen:

I tried setting up 1 PC the other day with the new Optimized App & got nowhere with it, so I just gave up on it, I like the Point and Click type Projects with no muss or Fuss ... :icon_wink:

gamer007
05-30-2007, 05:01 AM
I thought the alpha project is closed except for invites, but I managed to get my own account this time. :P

I'm not attach to the project. All I'm going to do is just report bugs if I notice any.

vaughan
05-30-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm to Stupid to run the Riesel Sieve Project anymore ... :icon_mrgreen:

I tried setting up 1 PC the other day with the new Optimized App & got nowhere with it, so I just gave up on it, I like the Point and Click type Projects with no muss or Fuss ... :icon_wink:
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but Riesel Sieve doesn't grant extra points if you use an optimised client anymore. They standardised the points some time back to neutralise "optimisations" but Sieving still is one of the highest "earners" per hour.

NeoGen
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I thought the alpha project is closed except for invites, but I managed to get my own account this time. :P

I'm not attach to the project. All I'm going to do is just report bugs if I notice any.
I thought the same too. And I remember it was like that for a long time.
Now I just went to the site to check and it's open. Got myself in. :)

Beerknurd
05-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I joined too

Lagu
05-31-2007, 01:38 AM
I joined too

Your avatar is too funny. Very expressive:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Bubben
06-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Hmm..I didn´t know that the points was so low, but i still think that it is a good idea that someone is chrunching Boinc because it´s the base of all research..

And because so many is using Boinc and it is the mayor option it´s for the best that it is reliable and working at its best!

But i do agree that the points should be much higher!