PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Steve Lux
05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Running UniBlue's Registry Booster on their web site and finding 339 registry errors.

Running UniBlue's Registry Booster after purchasing it and finding + repairing 96 registry errors.

Running the purchased version a second time and finding no registry errors.

Going to UniBlue's web site and running their on-line version of Registry Booster again and finding 316 registry errors.

Running the purchased version of UniBlue's registry Booster again and finding no errors.

All in the same session on the same day. Hm....

Beerknurd
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Can you say....... SCAM!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

PoorBoy
05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Can you say....... SCAM!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Ya, I don't put much Faith in any of the Software Registry Repairer's, they'd have you deleting the entire Registry fixing every thing they find wrong.

About the only thing I ever run to clean up the Registry is NTREGOPT, I've never had a problem letting it do it's own thing & it's all Automated. Other than that I just manually delete things from the Registry that I know doesn't belong there.

Usually after I Un-Install a Program I'll do a Registry Search for any Items pertaining to that Program and get rid of them, and in the process any other things I see that don't belong in the Registry anymore. Un-Installed Programs have a nasty Habit of leaving a lot of garbage behind in the Registry, some of them anyway ...

Steve Lux
05-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Probably the next virus I need to get rid of is Norton's. That darn CCPROXY.EXE is a resource hog. It keeps crawling up from 2-5% the first day up to 75 - 80% in a week or two. Then I have to re-boot to get it back down again. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It practically locks down my computer.

Beerknurd
05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
EEK... I hate Norton and McAfee. I use AVG and have never had a problem...

Opteron
05-31-2007, 11:27 PM
I use Windows Registry Repair Pro it cost 9.99 from 3B software and have never had a problem with it... After a fresh Windows XP install on the norm it will clean out 5 to 6 hundred useless reg strings... It's cheap in cost only I highly recomend...:icon_mrgreen:

PoorBoy
05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Probably the next virus I need to get rid of is Norton's. That darn CCPROXY.EXE is a resource hog. It keeps crawling up from 2-5% the first day up to 75 - 80% in a week or two. Then I have to re-boot to get it back down again. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It practically locks down my computer.

I quit using any Norton Products Years ago for the same reason, for 1 their Products are Resource Hogs like you say and another you can figure on Re-Installing the OS every 3 or 4 months once Norton gets done mucking it all up ...

Steve Lux
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I had a nice little discussion with Symantec the other day. They couldn't help me with my CCPROXY.EXE resource hogging issue. So I did the unthinkable.... I am now running on an XP clean boot - just for a while. This means there is no Anti Virus, no filters, no nothing extra running.

What happened to my crunching capacity? Well, Majestic-12 is crawling nearly twice as fast. and Cosmo went from 4.5 - 5 hours per WU down to 4 hours per WU.

I know it's just a matter of time before I get caught (I'm not even going to check e-mail or surf obscure web locations). But it sure is nice seeing what a system can do for a few days without having to have it overloaded with crap just because some morons out there like to be abusive.

Nflight
12-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Thats like skinny dipping in a public pool and wondering when someone will notice !

gatekeeper53
12-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I run several of my systems "bare". The only thing on them is Windoze and Boinc, or whatever project they happen to be running. If I have a problem I just format and reinstall Windoze.

LeBo
12-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I use NOD32 on my machines and never have seen any slow down. Uses about 20k of memory. I've used it for 2 years with no issues..:)

NeoGen
12-25-2007, 10:41 PM
The company I work at has two layers of security, the first being a quite good firewall and proxy system called IPCop (http://ipcop.org/), the second one being the content filter eSafe (http://www.aladdin.com/esafe/).
Only after the net traffic is scanned by those two, it reaches our computers. We rarely get any kind of virus, and the last couple of times I remember they were brought inside and not downloaded (usb pens/laptops from outside the network, etc)

Steve Lux
12-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Went back onto standard startup again last night. Had to clean out only a few viruses, but I'm back to safe and secure slow going (Cosmo ~ 5 hour WUs - up from just over 4 hours per WU). MJ-12 seems to be only now getting back up to my old speed (~ 1 meg URL's per day). I hit about 1.8 meg URL's on the one day I went without Norton's. My system was really starting to slow down last night so I knew I had been hit by a virus.