PDA

View Full Version : Predictor vote -- Continue or Stop for now

BC
07-31-2004, 02:34 AM
Ok gang... I never thought I would say this, but I would like to ask
for a vote about Predictor.

We all have been busting our butts keeping at it and makign 6th place... pushing for 5th.......

However, in the past 72 hours.... the scientists have made so many changes in the software that *I* lost 2 full days of production due to a "STUPID" file open error (-1 error code).... and i am ignored.

It hurt us bigtime... losing the production of a San Diego for 3 days is rediculous and, in my opinion, potentially not deserving of our resources.

Therefore, I would like to call for a vote..... (having received feedback from many valued members of this site and the team)..... as to whether we continue or not to subject ourselves to the USELESS WASTE of resources.

I personally am withdrawing from P@H support as soon as I submit the FAQ pages, but please do not let that sway your opinion. I will cast my vote at the end.

I initially asked if we as a team should consider it... and as a team we did... we went for it..... It's now proving itself to be more and more unstable by the day.... and I feel that we have better use of our resources..

Once decided... I think the choice of where to go back to is obvious and I will gladly get back at it... At least other DC projects are stable.

I humbly thank you all for your support, taking the time to read, contemplating and voting.

I also ALWAYS invite your comments below.

Sincerely,
Chuck
(BC)

Beerknurd
07-31-2004, 03:45 AM
I like running Predictor alot. If it were up to me I would focus on another project until all or most of the bugs were fixed. I know I lost alot of work due to the Charm thing. That is kind of irritating. I will run whatever the team feels that I should run. We are a team and we need to stick together. We won't make any progress if we are all running diffrent projects. Let's think of a stable project that we all can run. Too bad Ubero discards their work. I like the auto updates. But regardless of the poll I will stick with the team. We need to make a decision soon though. I'm running Ubero!!!!!!!! Watch ot Ototero!!!!! I'm catching up fast!!!!!

BC
07-31-2004, 04:36 AM
I like running Predictor alot. If it were up to me I would focus on another project until all or most of the bugs were fixed. I know I lost alot of work due to the Charm thing. That is kind of irritating. I will run whatever the team feels that I should run. We are a team and we need to stick together. We won't make any progress if we are all running diffrent projects. Let's think of a stable project that we all can run. Too bad Ubero discards their work. I like the auto updates. But regardless of the poll I will stick with the team. We need to make a decision soon though. I'm running Ubero!!!!!!!! Watch ot Ototero!!!!! I'm catching up fast!!!!!

Same here, I like running Predictor... I know it's the next generation architecture.... BOINC itself is fine... the Predictor apps need maturing.

I will follow the team/site's decision and go wherever....

Would you PM me about what Ubero is???

BC

Beerknurd
07-31-2004, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't start with Ubero.... You'll get no respect in here.... Everyone already knows i'm stubborn about it. Escape while you still can... LOL. Besides I get their point. It is worthless. They discard all their results. It's a dead project. My computer just hauls ass on it. That's why I like to run it. Plus I spent alot of hours tweaking it. Plus Ototero and I are having a battle over 5th place on the team..... So don't start Ubero if you wanna keep everyone's respect in here. LOL :roll:

BC
07-31-2004, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't start with Ubero.... You'll get no respect in here.... Everyone already knows i'm stubborn about it. Escape while you still can... LOL. Besides I get their point. It is worthless. They discard all their results. It's a dead project. My computer just hauls ass on it. That's why I like to run it. Plus I spent alot of hours tweaking it. Plus Ototero and I are having a battle over 5th place on the team..... So don't start Ubero if you wanna keep everyone's respect in here. LOL :roll:

LOL... point taken...

So,,, Honestly.... were I to consider something OTHER than predictor (which still seems to be the best game in town in spite of the problems) what would be your 1st and 2nd choice???

**** anyone else can jump in here ********

Beerknurd
07-31-2004, 05:04 AM
Probably Lifemapper, Chessbrain, Find A Drug "If you can figure it out", D2OL, or maybe 17 or Bust. But I don't know if anyone runs that anymore....

Beerknurd
07-31-2004, 05:05 AM
I would say Lifemapper, or D2OL.

nickth
07-31-2004, 05:26 AM
Predictor would be a good project to run if it was not for all the bugs that it has.
So I recommend that we should run Lifemapper as this is our other project goal to get to 5th place or high at the moment we are in 12th see here (http://stats.free-dc.org/lm/allteams.php)
And for those of you who do no know much about it well you can download and find all about it here (http://www.lifemapper.org/) recomemnd using command line client as is a hell of a lot faster.
And if running on multiple comps the you can use this app to view progress and you can get it from here (http://www.bluetentacle.co.uk/dcmonitor/)

Beerknurd
07-31-2004, 05:48 AM
I didn't care for LifeMapper that much. D2OL is boring. I don't know what to run. That's why it's Ubero time until someone decides for me!!!!!! I'm a follower not a leader.

BC
07-31-2004, 06:17 AM
I took one last shot at salvaging Predictor and since we have clearly quantified / identified the bugs and bad entries in the database.

I have requested a) A qualified DBA fix the DB and pull the bad jobs b) the scientist fix the damn code.

In all fairness to lifemapper, I will suspend my predictor work and take a look... fair is indeed fair... and I will load the CLI version since I'll be running on 7 systems within the next 2 weeks......

(Yes, the 3 dual-cpu penti---cough-cough's are about to be replaced with Athlon MPs when I get home)... Which is another announcement I should make, even though this is not the proper place (but there is no proper place)..... I am leaving california... and returning home to Pa for surgery. I will be quasi offline.... maybe borrow a laptop and 802.11 adapter and be in group... I do not know what will be happening.... but anyway....
during my transit back... The only way to reach me will be 'plain text email' at my account. which i will adjust for my cell prior to departure.

I'll be back in a bit with my impressions and performance on the A64's of lifemapper... and you can tell me how well or poorly I'm doing....

Back in a flash...

Chuck

em99010pepe
07-31-2004, 07:29 AM
However, in the past 72 hours.... the scientists have made so many changes in the software that *I* lost 2 full days of production due to a "STUPID" file open error (-1 error code).... and i am ignored.

I told you. This is what happens when you use a alpha version. As I told you before I had the same problem with MD5CRK. Never used anymore.

About the main problem, as a senior member :-({|=, I think we should run D2OL or Lifemapper.
D2OL because we are loosing ground to Team Ninja.
Lifemapper because we can easily get 9th place.

I'm going for D2OL.

BC
07-31-2004, 07:52 AM

I told you. This is what happens when you use a alpha version. As I told you before I had the same problem with MD5CRK. Never used anymore.

About the main problem, as a senior member :-({|=, I think we should run D2OL or Lifemapper.
D2OL because we are loosing ground to Team Ninja.
Lifemapper because we can easily get 9th place.

I'm going for D2OL.

Fair enough, but I also was told that MD5CRK wants to download and run this nasty little script on your machine ..... and I don't allow that kind of stuff.. PERIOD.

So... what is the most benefit??? cast the votest above please...

Regarding 'alpha' version stuff.... BOINC is not alpha... FAR FAR from it... it's full production. Seti simply can't transfer because there are too many users and not enough resources at SSL to handle it yet, but that is being resolved (they are buying the proper equipment *AND* restructuring the machines to be in a 'Boinc' configuration, not a Seti 1 config.

Predictor was stable until 72 hours ago.... EXACTLY 24 hours after several of us all pointed out the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.... Now, the scientists are screwing it up instead of giving it to someone who can code (cough cough)..

So.. is it D2OL? Is that was WE want? If so, then I am there... and you know why.... Protease inhibitors....that's what it's all about... (my sister the the biochemist / pharmicologist has taught me enough to understand what the phases are and why each is important)....

If the decision is D2OL... then let's do it... I don't care....

I do know that lifemapper runs in 700 seconds / unit on this machine at low priority.... even less when I bump it up.... and that is WITH anti-virus on.

Let's just be a team... you all gave me a shot... we all gave it a chance... If it's time to change / correct, then let's do it. No hesitation from me and you got my full 110% support.

em99010pepe
07-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Fair enough, but I also was told that MD5CRK wants to download and run this nasty little script on your machine ..... and I don't allow that kind of stuff.. PERIOD.

In knew that (http://amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=344&sid=276ba282d5d91755b4bc8096cf9fd556).

I do know that lifemapper runs in 700 seconds / unit on this machine at low priority.... even less when I bump it up.... and that is WITH anti-virus on.

Some benchmarks with Norton antivirus on:

1 wu - AMD2200+ - 14min
1 wu - AMD 1,1 Ghz - 30min

vaughan
07-31-2004, 09:24 AM
wtf is wrong with Predictor this time?

Answer: its BOINC

Therefore useless as I've said before.

I vote for D2OL as Team Ninjas are gaining on us.

If you're running Linux - join me in eOn (I need someone to join me).

Ototero
07-31-2004, 09:39 AM
OK guys (still no girls in the team :cry: )

I've read all the pro and cons above (Jason, I've slipped a couple of machines onto Ubero to keep you at bay in the short term :cool: :lol: :cool: :lol: ) and I'll move my stuff back to D2OL over this weekend.

So...any D2OL experts out there...lets have any tuning tips for running this thing.

Start with a D2OL tips Forum.

Ready steady ......wait for it.....GO :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

em99010pepe
07-31-2004, 09:42 AM
There are no tuning tips.

The command line usages less memory than the GUI version. Processing times are the same.

nickth
07-31-2004, 09:59 AM
Talking of preictor. i think we pulled out at just the right time . the whole site is once again shut down

jlangner
07-31-2004, 01:02 PM
I don't run D2OL that much. I guess since it looks like TSC, and I have run it so so so long, and no competition. lol. SOB or lifemapper work for me as well.

MatthewS
07-31-2004, 11:47 PM
I say everyone join D2ol because thats what I'm running right now and Ninjas is catching up with us fast! Everyone could always return to Predictor@Home once it becomes more stable. Hopefully by then I'll be able to create an account lol. The last few weeks create a new account function has be disabled!!! grrrrrrrr lol

BC
08-01-2004, 05:08 AM
I want to thank everyone for their efforts.... We gave predictor
a shot... it failed us... we didn't fail it.

Given what I read through the different forums, Our greatest danger is in D2OL at present and that is where I will be putting this machine to work.

I wish I had a 64 bit version or at least a 'generic' compiled (non-m$) version that did not bias toward Intel.

However, it was compiled with only 386 instructions and nothing more.

I would like to get a 686 instruction set and that would free us all of the Intel limits.... we ALL would produce like crazy .... with lots of (Quoting Chaz) "Spunk" (Pun intended... i KNOW you meant it... LOL)

If anyone has any ideas... how about Linux and trying to run it under Cygwin? Linux/Cygwin is faster than native Windows if the code is biased for AMD because of the system calls.

I'm open to suggestions... I am limited at the moment due to surgery, but will be ok soon... no fears... the mind is just as perverted as it always ways... and (yes Stu) I am as verbose as ever! :lol:

I have (until i complete some hardward re-assembly) two major performers and have moved both to D2OL.... You should all see about 200 Candidates from me (BCCL) when the stats update for the day just ended.

Lifemapper is good and easy on some of my older machines, and I will get them fired up since they are socket 7, and I can pull the old intels, drop in quad K6-500's and do some damage there as the SMP logic is on the Mobo.

Given all this... and no where to really post this, here are my personal plans.....

Thank you all for your support,,, Now it's my turn to support the team as the team supported me... So it is only fair to give you a head's up of what we are doing at home.

Thanks again,

I suggest we reconsider Predictor after D2OL goes to version 2.5 or version 3 and Boinc/Prector AND Boinc/Seti have proven themselves and we've had time to

Now let's go kick some major D2OL and a bit of LM butt!!!!

With greatest respect and thanks,
Chuck
(BC)