PDA

View Full Version : AMDuser newbie gets top ranking?

cputrdoc
06-04-2007, 02:40 AM
I was sitting at work once and once again looking for a multithreaded D2OL client (okay, after a year of both Intel and AMD shipping dual-core processors you'd think they'd be on top of this...) and discovered this whole D2OL team thing. So I thought, "I'm an AMD employee... why not join the AMD user team?"

I've got one core of my desktop machine running D2OL continuously and my home machine runs D2OL too. When D2OL finally takes advantage of multicore processors you'll have both of my cores running during nights and weekends at all hours, and whatever I can spare on my home machine.

I was really surprised to find I'd made it to the top of the contributor list with just my work node.

Digging through the archives I guess D2OL did some things that scared people away, which I thought was interesting. My CPDN units crashing all the time is what drove me to D2OL. Turned out I'd been crunching a lot of known bad workloads.

Oddly the other stat sites haven't picked me up yet, and it's been a couple of days.

Opteron
06-04-2007, 03:42 AM
With the amount of work you're putting out they're probably still counting the WU's...:biggrin: Welcome and thanks again for joining us we really needed the help in D2OL and TSC...:icon_mrgreen:

Big Whiskey
06-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Welcome cputrdoc

The only multi threading client out that I know of is Folding at Home. They have SMP client for Linux and Windows

daddygeek
06-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Hello cputrdoc, Great to have you here.

I'm an AMD employee...Cool, Can you do all of us AMDuser's a Big, BIg, BIG favor:icon_razz::icon_razz:
Find out who is not letting Barcelona out the door and kick him:icon_twisted:.
I've been needing one or two for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long:icon_mrgreen:

P.S. The kicking thing is just a joke!

Nflight
06-04-2007, 05:19 AM
So I thought, "I'm an AMD employee... why not join the AMD user team?"

Oddly the other stat sites haven't picked me up yet, and it's been a couple of days.

Welcome to the Team there cputrdoc; nice to make your acquaintance. Most of us here at AMD Users love our machines and would not part with them no matter what. Look around the forum and laugh a little we do like to have some fun along with learning how to get our machines to perform at there best! (Seeing that we already know AMD's are better then Intel in most cases) sure would be nice in all cases!

Welcome aboard <= Sounds like we are on a sailing vessel ? Chips Ahoy, no that's a cookie!

Frederic Brillouet
06-04-2007, 07:13 AM
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A cruncher's life for me.

oh ehh I meant welcome :icon_lol:

LeBo
06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Welcome CPUTRDOC to our merry band of AMD crunchers. Enjoy your stay and feel free to take part in the forum chat.....:)

Ototero
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
That was funny Frederic, should we have a poetry corner?

EDIT. Scratch that last remark. We're all men here, hurrumph.

Steve Lux
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Good of you to join us and to represent your excellent product. You have a loyal fan base here. Feel free to invite your fellow co-workers. It would be great to see more AMD folks here to help us show the world what the best processors can do.

Frederic Brillouet
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Good of you to join us and to represent your excellent product. You have a loyal fan base here. Feel free to invite your fellow co-workers. It would be great to see more AMD folks here to help us show the world what the best processors can do.
AMEN mate!

Bender10
06-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Hello CPUTRDOC!! :3dblob3:

Welcome to the Team. I'm sure you will find some interesting ..:icon_mrgreen: ..topics here. We are all interested in the performance of our machines. And we generate some lively "information" exchanges almost daily. Information (and good natured kidding around) is shared freely here, so if you can't find an answer already posted, just ask. We also respond well to a fresh outlook, a different slant, an interesting point of view, a new perspective..:icon_rolleyes: ..hmmm... you get my drift.

Bender

Lagu
06-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi and Welcome cputrdoc!

What a surprice:) We are glad for every people as join us and especially is engaged in our forum. Feel free ask us about our forum or about soft and hardware to AMD computers. You are welcome even if you have an Intel in your warderobe or use it as a doorstop:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Again welcome among us and have fun.

Lagu:icon_wink:

Opteron
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I've used Intel chips as feet for a system housing an AMD... It just felt like poetic justice...:icon_mrgreen:

cputrdoc
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Hello cputrdoc, Great to have you here.
Cool, Can you do all of us AMDuser's a Big, BIg, BIG favor:icon_razz::icon_razz:
Find out who is not letting Barcelona out the door and kick him:icon_twisted:.
I've been needing one or two for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long:icon_mrgreen:

P.S. The kicking thing is just a joke!

It's out now. :) September 10/11. ...and despite what you may read, Barcelona is much more than just a quad-core processor; we've thrown in all kinds of other goodies as well.

Something's up with D2OL and my WUs and login disappeared:(. I'm looking into it now; I want to get those re-associated with the AMD Users team.

If any of you are software developers and want to give all AMD users everywhere a hand, I think you can ask for source code for some of the distributed computing projects and submit an optimized version.

Rather than build our own compilers, we assist with the performance in other compilers. We are careful not to handicap our competition in the process. We've gotten great results with:
* PGI Fortran, C and C++ compilers http://developer.amd.com/pgi2.jsp
* GCC 4.1.2 and later http://developer.amd.com/gcc.jsp
* AMD Performance Libraries 1.1 http://developer.amd.com/apl.jsp

In addition, these compilers support Barcelona features:
* Sun Studio 12 http://developer.amd.com/solaris_zone.jsp
* Upcoming Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 http://developer.amd.com/articles.jsp?id=174&num=1

We've also put a section up on how to optimize for Barcelona http://developer.amd.com/quadcore.jsp.

You can find reference guides for optimizing your platforms, best practices for using compiler flags, and other information about increasing your application's performance on AMD's entire line of products at http://developer.amd.com.

(sorry, couldn't resist; it's my job to help software developers optimize for AMD, and distributed computing seems like an area that needs this more than most)

Nflight
09-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I have just spent the last 1/2 hour oogling at this link:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31116.pdf
Word of note this file is over 4 meg, and 365 pages long of reading...

The White papers and technical documents of the AMD Quadcore technology, seems like you are telling us everything to get the most out of our systems with this Information, Thank You

Doing some deep reading, I now know why the price of the MB's are so high, seems the new design allows for multiple cpu's of different speeds to run on the same MB. Each CPU can be altered as in OC'd or not. My God they have upped the anty against Intel. Called (Mixed Frequency and Power P-State Configuration)

P.S. Intel would never do something like this...:icon_twisted:

Thanks cputrdoc

Steve Lux
10-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Hey cputrdoc, did I understand correctly that you are running only one instance of D2OL on your dual core system, and wish to run more? If so, you need only create a second D2OL folder to run another instance of the application from. At work I am running two instances on a dual core system from a USB2 memory stick. I've run D2OL from a Sony Video stick before, just to see if I could.

Here at home I abuse the heck out of my 185 Opteron system (pulled out the 3800+ and put in the Opty) by running two instances of Einstein, one instance of D2OL and an instance of Majestic-12. The Opty has twice the capacity at MJ-12 compared to the 3800+. With all that going I can still run video games (at medium resolution) with no problems. The MJ-12 makes the DSL broadband a bit slow, but I get by.