PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

PcManiac
06-06-2007, 06:30 AM
On my first Server install by myself! :icon_mrgreen:

I am installing a new server at Target tomorrow morning at 3am, or in 3.5 hours! woohooo!

I'll let ya'll know how it went!

NeoGen
06-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Good luck! :)

But that's an odd hour to be installing servers.

LeBo
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Good luck on your install. May the force be with you. :icon_razz:

gatekeeper53
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Just restrain yourself from installing any DC projects on it and you'll do a great job. I'm sure things will be just fine and I doubt you'll need any luck good or bad. You know what your doing so wade right in and do it. Oh, and have fun with it.

PcManiac
06-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Good luck! :)

But that's an odd hour to be installing servers.
I had to do it before the store opened.
There were 2 POS servers that we barely hanging on the rack, so I put new trays in, and got those in order, and then the new server just had to be plugged in, setup, and that was it!

Took 6 hours in total, and I made like 100 phone calls lol (ok, maybe 30)

But it went well! 6hrs x $20/hr = a new CPU! .... I mean money for my savings account :icon_wink:

Just restrain yourself from installing any DC projects on it and you'll do a great job. I'm sure things will be just fine and I doubt you'll need any luck good or bad. You know what your doing so wade right in and do it. Oh, and have fun with it.

LOL! I was totally thinking about that! ~if only I could install boinc as a service .....
dual core xeon :) oh yes...

Actually, there were 4 servers ... that would be awesome! lol

BlackAdder
06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Great job !!! Thats the kind of work I'd like to be doing.... :)

PcManiac
06-07-2007, 06:50 AM
me too! lol
I am going to try and sweet-talk the guy that hired me to get me some more hours lol. that is my kinda work!

The server I installed was a Dell PowerEdge 2950
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_2950?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

It had 16GB memory, and well, 6 HD's I can't remember the partition sizes ... or volumes or whatever they are... they were 10k ones.

But it had 2 quad core cpu's in there, at least I am assuming, because it said it was an 8-way server.

vaughan
06-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Nice work. Glad the install went smoothly. Did you have to install hardware only or was there an OS to load too? :)

tek182
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
me too! lol
I am going to try and sweet-talk the guy that hired me to get me some more hours lol. that is my kinda work!

The server I installed was a Dell PowerEdge 2950
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_2950?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

It had 16GB memory, and well, 6 HD's I can't remember the partition sizes ... or volumes or whatever they are... they were 10k ones.

But it had 2 quad core cpu's in there, at least I am assuming, because it said it was an 8-way server.

Hi PcManiac,
I handled the Target stores in this area. I installed 3 servers at each of the Target stores. POS1, POS2 and Pharmacy servers. I just installed them last year. 2 stores here in my area. I think they were 2950's also. I also installed a Raritan KVM remote switch. There was a 4th Server and I beleive that 1 was an IBM. They said it would be replaced at a later date. Just 1 server? POS1 and 2 were mirrored. So that if one went down the other would take over. Weird. My install took a little longer. The phone tag and paperwork were the hardest part of the installs though. LOL! Then I had to pack up the old servers and send them back. Wow! You got off easy. :icon_razz: Well, Happy Birthday by the way!

tek182 :icon_mrgreen:

PcManiac
06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks!
For me POS1 and POS2 were already installed. the 4th server was probably the ISP server... or it was for me.

I think I got in this at phase 2. The KVM was already installed too :D

That is cool that you did this to though! what are the chances?