PDA

View Full Version : New Cosmology Project ... !!!

PoorBoy
06-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Did anyone else get an Invitation Code to this Project > http://cosmos.astro.uiuc.edu/cosmohome/ ... I managed to get 1 ... :icon_mrgreen: ... & if nobody else did I will start a AMD User's Team once I'm able to Create an Account at the Project. I think early next week the people that got the Code will be able to Create their Accounts.

I've been trying off and on all day but haven't been able to yet today ... :icon_rolleyes:

gamer007
06-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I've joined earlier today and vaughan already created the team. :)

Will be helping test.

PoorBoy
06-08-2007, 10:52 PM
How did you Join, I haven't been able to even though I have the Code ... ???

All I keep getting is that I need to have an Account already ... :icon_rolleyes:

Evil-Dragon
06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
How the heck do you guys get these invite codes? I never seem to get anything when i try emailing project admins :(

PoorBoy
06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
How the heck do you guys get these invite codes? I never seem to get anything when i try emailing project admins :(

I don't always either, in fact I've been turned down quite a few times all ready. It seems there's a very select group of people that get into every new Project that starts & then it's everybody else for themselves ... :icon_rolleyes: ... I just happened to see a Post at the Site about E-Mailing the Admin if you wanted a Invite so I fired off a E-Mail & a short time later I got the Code. Then I seen another Post about they had enough Testers now & wouldn't be giving out any more Invites for now.

gamer007
06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
I emailed Scott (the admin of the project) yesterday. His was requesting testers for the later test. I got my reply when I woke up.

Looks like it's now closed now, unfortunately.

PoorBoy
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Okay, I'll have to wait until next week probably to actually join the Project, I'll try Sat & Sun & see If I can get in, if not then next week I guess.

Bender10
06-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I noticed the same thing. Seems like the same list of people "get in" below the ground floor.

And us schmucks hear about it later by accident...

NeoGen
06-08-2007, 11:59 PM
It's a perfectly natural social phenomena actually

People that have over time created a reputation across the boinc community, by participating on most (if not all) project's forums, tend to be well known all around and get themselves invited before anyone else.

I think few of us here post on the projects boards, and most of the times when we do is for complaining about workunits/credits/apps not working/etc...:icon_rolleyes:

PoorBoy
06-09-2007, 12:10 AM
It's a perfectly natural social phenomena actually

People that have over time created a reputation across the boinc community, by participating on most (if not all) project's forums, tend to be well known all around and get themselves invited before anyone else.

I think few of us here post on the projects boards, and most of the times when we do is for complaining about workunits/credits/apps not working/etc...:icon_rolleyes:

Your right on a lot of that Neo, thats my biggest drawback, I don't frequent the Project Boards enough but don't really want to. Probably most people in the BOINC Projects know me but I don't Socialize with them so I'm left out like everybody else.

I used to Post a lot at the Projects but when I brought up a few objections on a few things that were being Posted I got jumped all over by some of the biggest Jerkoff's in the Projects. So I just keep my mouth shut now and let my PC's do the talking for me.

Funny thing is a lot of those people are Moderators now even after some of them were Banned Temporarily for the same things I objected too ... Go Figure

gamer007
06-09-2007, 12:45 AM
The only time I post on the message boards is when I have problems with WUs and such. I don't really frequent the forums unless I'm bored. :lol:

PoorBoy
06-09-2007, 01:05 AM
The only time I post on the message boards is when I have problems with WUs and such. I don't really frequent the forums unless I'm bored. :lol:

Your not missing anything Gamer, most of the Posting @ the BOINC Forums is nothing but a bunch of BS anyway. Unless you consider Posting in the Last One to Post Here Wins 2000 times just to drive your Post Count up important.

I only frequent the Forums @ the Projects I'm running @ the moment to keep on top of anything that I might need to know, I don't post anything usually but just check things out ...

vaughan
06-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I used to Post a lot at the Projects but when I brought up a few objections on a few things that were being Posted I got jumped all over by some of the biggest Jerkoff's in the Projects. So I just keep my mouth shut now and let my PC's do the talking for me.
I agree with you PoorBoy. I managed to get an invite code as I e-mailed the project Admin when he was looking for testers. The project should open up soon to everyone.

PoorBoy
06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Can 1 of you guys that got Attached to the Project Post a message asking when the People that got the Invite Code late last week will be able to actually create their Account. I still haven't been able to attach to the project.

All I get is I need to have an Account already and never see anything that I can use the Invite Code to create an Account ... :icon_rolleyes:

Bok
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Poorboy,

I think you might have to use the old fashioned way of creating the account, by doing it on the website itself..

http://cosmos.astro.uiuc.edu/cosmohome/create_account_form.php

Bok

p.s. I just got some work for it :)

PoorBoy
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Poorboy,

I think you might have to use the old fashioned way of creating the account, by doing it on the website itself..

http://cosmos.astro.uiuc.edu/cosmohome/create_account_form.php

Bok

p.s. I just got some work for it :)

Okay Thanks Bok & Bender too, I'm in now, when they sent me the Code all they gave me to get in was the regular Project URL & it wasn't working ... But I'm in & got my first Wu ... :) ... Thanks again for the help ...

PoorBoy
06-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Cosmos has Wu's available, I downloaded around 500 of them in the last 20 min's or so, get um while there hot if you want them ... :icon_razz:

AMDave
06-14-2007, 02:00 PM
I got 18 so far. Not a lot, but enough to do some testing with.

PoorBoy
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I got 18 so far. Not a lot, but enough to do some testing with.

Their short Wu's, most of them anyway, they only take about 3-5 min's to do on my Quads so I can burn a bunch of them up in a hurry.

I've run into a few that take an Hour to Hour & a-half though, still fairly short though ...

Nflight
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
We are in First place, although I can't get involved at this moment as they turned off the allow new users switch. When the light is re-lit I will attach!

AMDave
06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
So far my errors correlate with other members 100%
Some wu's were compute errors and correlated to all other returns.
Some wu's were download error and correlated to all other returns.
No graphics test yet because I installed BOINC as service on the home machines.
I'll add it to the laptop tomorrow and see if there is anything to see.

Bender10
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I got the 'No werk' message.

Crap, I was on a telcon and was setting up my Last.FM profile......missed it by "That Much"...

PoorBoy
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I got the 'No werk' message.

Crap, I was on a telcon and was setting up my Last.FM profile......missed it by "That Much"...

:icon_lol: ... The early Bird gets the Worms I always says, I just happened to look @ BOINCView and noticed some Cosmo's Wu's on 1 of the Pc's so I jacked up the Resource Share for Cosmo's & the Project gave me a bunch more.

So far I haven't really had that many error's with the Wu's, I get 1 now and then but not enough to worry about it.

AMDave
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
heh heh. ahem.
I was so intent on testing and tracking errors that I forgot to say most of the WUs are going through just fine.

I'm stopping it now as I only have a couple of CPUs left for the rest of the compy.