PDA

View Full Version : Boinc Upgrade w/Proteins

Nflight
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I just did an upgrade of my Boinc OS to the new 5.10.7 and found that the new system has pushed my Whetstone and drystone marks about 600 points higher then on the 5.8.15 Boinc Project OS. I thought I would ask if anyone else who did the upgrade has had the same beneficial results as I have had.
What this should do is elevate our results in the amount of points granted for each work unit completed. You be the judge, but this may be a way to get those using Optimized clients to switch over to all uniform BOINC application level so all output work units have a more uniform compliance upon delivery back to the Server of each project across the boards.
I also like the layout and the highlighted areas of work being crunched. Nice touch.

The current Spring 2007 Race is surely going to be improved with this new development if more upgrade there current BOINC Platform. :icon_wink: :blob3:

BobCat13
06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I think the benchmark numbers increased sometime during the 5.9.x alpha tests, so yes, 5.10.x should result in higher points than 5.4.x & 5.8.x versions.
Another change that started with 5.10.6 (I think) is more consistent benchmarks on multi-core machines.

If you have installed 5.10.7 and notice it is not following preferences, you may want to install the 5.10.8 alpha version as 5.10.7 has some problems with the preference settings not working, i.e. if set to suspend when user is active it may not. 5.10.8 looks like it corrects that.

PoorBoy
06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I just did an upgrade of my Boinc OS to the new 5.10.7 and found that the new system has pushed my Whetstone and drystone marks about 600 points higher then on the 5.8.15 Boinc Project OS. I thought I would ask if anyone else who did the upgrade has had the same beneficial results as I have had.

I noticed the same thing when I Upgraded to the v5.10.7, about 600 to 800 points higher in the Benchmarks with my Quads, even my P4 took a jump Upward, quite a bit in fact ... :icon_santa:

I've since Upgraded to v5.10.8 across the board which Rom Walton said he wanted to release to the Public Monday. I still seen the jump in Benchmarks with that version too ... :)

PoorBoy
06-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Another change that started with 5.10.6 (I think) is more consistent benchmarks on multi-core machines.

Yes, the v5.10 series of BOINC Client is the first client I've used that gives a truer & more consistent Benchmark for my Intel Quads & Duos, all the previous version were all over the Board and hardly ever any where's near what they should have been.

Steve Lux
06-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Hm... I've been using v5.4.9. Time to upgrade?

drezha
06-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I think so.

I didn't really notice a huge increase but 5.10.7 seems stable enough.

Steve Lux
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Odd, when I first started I used to get 600 - 650 points a day on my one system. I heard all the good stuff about upgrading to a newer version and when I did the output dropped to 400 - 450 per day. Now I hear all this good stuff about upgrading, so I did and now I would be doing good to get 300 points a day.

Yeah, all the processor statistics have been higher each time, but I've been able to do less and less work each "upgrade". You would think I'd learn my lesson. Can't wait for the next "upgrade" - perhaps I can run my computer at full capacity to just do nothing.

Bubben
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Is is still possible to connect a ps3 to folding@home?

NeoGen
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Is is still possible to connect a ps3 to folding@home?
Yes, it is Bubben. And they crunch like crazy! :)

Frederic Brillouet
06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, it is Bubben. And they crunch like crazy! :)
maybe I should try n convince my parents to buy one of those (me buy one myself??? are you mad! :icon_lol:) I've got what I need momentarily though heheh, that #1 spot on the team in DPAD is mine :icon_twisted:

Nflight
06-28-2007, 12:59 AM
that #1 spot on the team in DPAD is mine :icon_twisted:

Congratulation's there DPAD Champion! :blob3:

Wait what about bwhite, your not 1st yet, but soon!

Frederic Brillouet
06-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Congratulation's there DPAD Champion! :blob3:

Wait what about bwhite, your not 1st yet, but soon!
Soon indeed heheh. I'm gonna make a Christmas dump, so everyone behind their 'puters at Christmas heheh:icon_twisted:

AMD-USR_JL
06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
We will see who gets the No.1 spot at DPAD. :icon_twisted: Go there right now and look at who has the highest muon percentage on DecayRotB. (http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/?optim=DecayRotB&team=*&searchuser=&oldness=730&sortby=best%20muon%20percentage)

Frederic Brillouet
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
We will see who gets the No.1 spot at DPAD. :icon_twisted: Go there right now and look at who has the highest muon percentage on DecayRotB.
http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/
I saw you were powering up, you can have the number 1 spot on the team though (for a while :icon_twisted:)

Vaughan, Michael and you have been producing the last 28 days I saw :icon_mrgreen: (gotta keep an eye on whos behind eh :icon_razz:) But as I said, go for it :icon_mrgreen: (after Christmas, you'll all be toast heheh)

congrats on the muon percentage :icon_wink:

a little race cant do any harm for our position eh. I suggest the whole team turns everything they have (of significant value) to dpad for 2 weeks or so, I promise you, we're gonna be flying (and I will definately lose 2nd place then)