PDA

View Full Version : AMD Users... prepare thyselves!

NeoGen
06-28-2007, 08:37 PM
... for soon, we go to WAR! :icon_twisted:

This is our current situation on the BURP boinc project...
http://burp.boinc.dk/top_teams.php?sort_by=total_credit

4. Intel Corporation - 127,835.67
13. AMD Users - 55,161.59

AMD USERS... Are we going to let this be?? :icon_twisted:

Every man, woman, and child, owner or with access to one or more computers that can run BOINC... join us in BURP!
http://burp.boinc.dk

Let's show Intel what we can do!! :qleft7: :qright5:

Anyone not running for the Contest, that wants to help the Team... head on to BURP and get a head start. Intel is running away from us each day that passes.

In two days from now, when the last Boinc project is finished on the Contest, I ask you Boinc fellows to head on to BURP too and keep on pushing!

There's little over 35,000 WU's available as of now, and they don't re-stock them often. Grab them while you can! :icon_wink:

NeoGen
06-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Now... on a more serious note... beware everyone, Burp is a bit unstable, it's still an Alpha stage project. Here's a few warnings from my own experience...

- Checkpointing does not work very well (or at all in some cases)
- Workunits can take anywhere from few seconds to 20+ hours to crunch
- Workunits can take anything from 10 to 200+ Megs of RAM each (multiply by the number of cores on your machines)
- The first download (application and accessory files) is *not* dial-up friendly, but afterwards it's ok, the workunits are less than 100k each.

I've put my best machine on it! (work machine - Athlon64 X2 4400+)
Do what you can too fellows! :)

vaughan
06-28-2007, 11:44 PM
One more observation is that sometimes the time to completion counter goes backwards. This is something to do with the rendering process within the app. Eventually it completes the task. :icon_wink:

PoorBoy
06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
A couple of other things, your Wu's sit in the pending section forever, I still have Pending Credit from over a month ago when I ran a little bit there. And the Credit you get Blows, your at the mercy of the Lowest claimer, whatever he claims then thats what your going to get too ...

AMD-USR_JL
06-29-2007, 02:21 AM
I think it's funny that Intel Corporation's main team member, rank 1 of 2, has one AMD running. That one AMD is number one (http://burp.boinc.dk/hosts_user.php?userid=6506) in his RAC. That's the whole reason why I bought AMD, because they are faster at video encoding.

liuqyn
06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
that intel team is only 2 people, 1 of which isn't even doing much. so we will be going to war with really just one person...

I also noticed his top performing comp is a dual core opteron, maybe a better tactic would be to just try and recruit him to AMD Users.

LOL

PcManiac
06-29-2007, 08:35 AM
... for soon, we go to WAR! :icon_twisted:
This is our current situation on the BURP boinc project...
http://burp.boinc.dk/top_teams.php?sort_by=total_credit
4. Intel Corporation - 127,835.67
13. AMD Users - 55,161.59

Why are the stats all messed up? here is what I get from the BURP site:
1st place is Intel Corp, and AMD Users are in 6th ...

Frederic Brillouet
06-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I hope we can go up a little... but I will pass this challenge momentarily. I've just had my first exam and I hope I passed it. bad feeling about it. the parents wont be all happy happy, even if it turns out ok. I'll have to refrain from doing too obvious boinc things then, it pisses them off. I will keep working on our DC-vault place for physics, but I can only promise a small miracle at the end of the year. I'm gonna go study now, there are 2 more exams to do (next friday and the monday after that)

liuqyn
06-29-2007, 11:13 AM
The BURP site defaults to recent credit, switch to total and you'll get the ranks listed here.

NeoGen
06-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Guys... BURP isn't that bad anymore. The workunits percentage display doesn't go back and forth anymore like it used to. And the credits awarded by workunits are the claimed credits of the "middle" guy. It's not the one who claims the most, and not the one who claims the least anymore.
About the pending credits lasting long... well, that still is true, I bet because of how big the workunits are, but we can't let that stop us from running it. :)

PoorBoy
06-29-2007, 09:31 PM
About the pending credits lasting long... well, that still is true, I bet because of how big the workunits are, but we can't let that stop us from running it. :)

Your right, all those 2 Min Wu's I have Pending from a month ago probably are a little to big for a lot of peoples PC's to handle ... :icon_lol:

NeoGen
06-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I got plenty of those too. When the sessions were launched and workunits distributed some errors were uncovered, that they have been fixing.
The latest workunits I'm getting have been credited pretty fast, at least for me, even the bigger ones don't stay too long on my pending list.

The problem is that I think their scheduler doesn't go back to re-send the pending ones before it completes a whole first pass on all the workunits created when the sessions were launched.

So we might have to wait a while until their queues are cleared before our pending ones are put back in line again for re-crunching. :icon_rolleyes:

Nflight
06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Actually I am a new member of the team and found that I had to get over the first download which is nearly 6/5 meg. Once you get that over the work units are easy to crunch some 15 minutes long others are nearly 9 hours. BUt all my WU's got fast results even the big ones.

Strongbow
07-02-2007, 06:43 AM
I have 4 systems on this and all of them have spent hours on 12 WUs which are all due for today (2nd July) with no sign of reaching the end till the 3rd. Should I abort the lot?

NeoGen
07-02-2007, 07:22 AM
I can't check my past workunits right now because the burp site is not available (on mondays they always make maintenance)
I think the credits will still be handed out because everyone will have the same problem if the workunits are really long.
The biggest one I had took over 25 hours of cpu time on an X2 4400+.

Nflight
07-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I have 4 systems on this and all of them have spent hours on 12 WUs which are all due for today (2nd July) with no sign of reaching the end till the 3rd. Should I abort the lot?

I would say no, because even though it says a time frame of hugeness, it may not be that long you have to wait. The actual time frame of allotment on each WU is off by a large margin. Although I have found that the WU's only have 29 hours to run till they are due.If you surpass this time frame readjust your general preferences to something more akeen to the 29 hour time frame. I am on a 1 day allotment on the general preferences of this BOINC Project. I got 4 cores on this now!

Bender10
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I have 1 that is heading for the 24 hour mark on a X2 4200...wow. It must be worth about 11 credits...

PoorBoy
07-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I have 1 that is heading for the 24 hour mark on a X2 4200...wow. It must be worth about 11 credits...

I wouldn't get my hopes up ... :icon_lol:

Nflight
07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Some remarks from people working on these work Units: 121,138.17 seconds of work claimed credit: 506.42 -- mind you, that's on a quad core PC as well. the upper 32 parts are a fast compute, but the lower 32 parts takes on average 10 hours and also varies from part to part, and frame to frame. Janus User profile image Forum moderator Project administrator To optimize the overall work throughput. A background rendering sends out 3 results per workunit in average, where a normal session sends out 4. Janus User profile image Forum moderator Project administrator I'd like a little more information about how scheduling works... I'm not sure if the question is specific to background rendering scheduling but it was triggered by this session?***QUESTION*** ***Answer ***Basically it sends out one result per workunit at a time. It means it will reach the quorum from bellow (1/1, 2/2, 3/3 (quorum!)) rather than from above (1/4, 2/4, 3/4 (quorum!), 4/4, where x/y is x results completed of y sent). This is a very simplified explanation, but it almost covers what happens. For more information please have a look at the thread describing background rendering. This hopefully also answers your remaining questions. http://burp.boinc.dk/session.php?id=450 Hope this helps....

NeoGen
07-06-2007, 12:45 AM
We're just about to enter the Top-10 for BURP, but still we're going too slowly to catch up with Intel.
We could use a couple of heavy crunchers for a couple of weeks on this... That Intel guy is one heavy cruncher, but he's only one.

On a side note, after over a month crunching I finally got up to #3 (Poorboy's spot). Yay! :) (But next time Poorboy comes by BURP again, I'm sure the spot won't be mine for more than a day :icon_razz:)

Nflight
07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
I think our best supportive help will join us after the PI Segment Race is over, in fact some of the crunchers who ran just 3 days worth of Work Units left for the big race of PI.

Give the team some feeling out of the pockets of handicaps for when the rest of the team appears we will make large strides in catching the one man band of the In_ _ _ Corp Team. You know I can't and won't say that word! :icon_twisted:

PoorBoy
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
On a side note, after over a month crunching I finally got up to #3 (Poorboy's spot). Yay! :) (But next time Poorboy comes by BURP again, I'm sure the spot won't be mine for more than a day :icon_razz:)

Your safe Neo, for now anyway ... :icon_lol: ... I don't have much interest in the BURP Project anymore, never really did have that much interest in the Project to begin with, I was just trying to get over 10,000 Credits anyway so I may run it a little more to reach that amount some time in the Future ...