PDA

View Full Version : BURP News

Nflight
07-03-2007, 07:41 AM
News Jul 02, 2007
The monday maintenance today will be extended: The database server will be offline today from 13.00 to about 18.00 (UTC) in preparations for installing additional disk drives. During this time the server will be doing a backup as well. From about 17.00 to about 18.00 (UTC) the webserver will be offline to install new software related to the additional disk drives. Update 17:00: Database backup completed, webserver going offline in a moment. Update 19:30: The webserver will be on and off for the next few hours due to complications with the disk controller driver software compilation. Update 21:00: It seems the driver software is now working as expected, the project will continue running as normally.

Jul 01, 2007
A new version of CATS has been released fixing a list of known problems.

Jun 30, 2007
Sessions with wrong renderer setting (in Blender) are now automatically rejected by the server. Furthermore much of the information in the uploaded file is used to automatically fill in some of the fields throughout the upload-guide.

Jun 27, 2007
Sessions with wrong settings for the thread count are now automatically corrected by the server.

Jun 26, 2007
The server is currently quite overloaded. Some features may be slow or inaccessible.

Jun 21, 2007
There's currently an issue with the linux client causing it to either not be suspendable and/or causing the BOINC client to hang after completing a workunit. This should give light to errors we encounter over the course of due time waiting for our Work Units to complete. I thought a new thread was in order!

Nflight
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Hang in there to everyone attempting to run this project, some new work units have come out and with a lot of chatter in the forums, the moderator is very active I might add.. There seems to be some repairs of the main program of BURP which mentions that with the new release of BOINC comes repairs in the way the BURP functions. a lot of the errors people were receiving in the past seem to have been repaired with the new BOINC 5.10.7.

This must be the reason why the system has settled down and is functioning like any other Project I work on. I have 10 Work Units and all are listed as ~ 2 hours each time frame, no 11 hours or more time frame and no chance of meeting the deadlines as before. I have 4 cores and I am putting out good numbers for the time I am working. No extended frustrations in not being able to meet deadlines.

BEFORE YOU START MORE BURP WORK UNITS = do a benchmark test on your system while the Work units have just been downloaded. This will allow the new work units to communicate back to the server the capability of your system to access your capabilities. And the proper sized Work Units will arrive on your BOINC Platform.

This should allow more TEAM MATES to get back into the action of catching up and passing our nemesis!

spikey_richie
07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I ran a few units last night. There's a huge difference in length from WU to WU.

Some ran for literally 20 seconds, and others for almost 2 hours.

Bender10
07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I still cannot -upload- my completed wu's...

NeoGen
07-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I haven't had any problems with Burp except maybe for some monday when they do maintenance I can't connect.
But apart from that I never even do benchmarks or anything and boinc just picks up, crunches, and throws back anything the project throws at it.

There is that thing about the really small workunits and really large workunits, but that's kinda normal...

Bender10
07-04-2007, 02:21 AM
BURP is low on gas??

7/3/2007 10:21:24 PM|BURP|Fetching scheduler list
7/3/2007 10:21:46 PM||Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
7/3/2007 10:21:47 PM||Access to reference site succeeded - project servers may be temporarily down.
7/3/2007 10:21:49 PM|BURP|Deferring communication for 1 days 0 hr 0 min 0 sec
7/3/2007 10:21:49 PM|BURP|Reason: 7 consecutive failures fetching scheduler list

EDIT: Must be something wrong with just one box. I tried to get wu's on another box and it werked...

Nflight
07-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Reset the project on just that one box, that should solve the problem.

On another note I am with the big boys this morning I checked the Stats page from Bok and found myself in the top 10 for the day, 5 ladder steps behind the leader (Whats the name of that other computer company that we despise?)

Woo Hoo I am excited :blob3: I don't think that has ever happened to me before Excited :blob3: Oh my gosh Excited :blob3:

Nflight
07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Strongbow has replaced me as one of the top dogs in this project. I am no longer in the top ten in the whole project, but then what can you expect from only two boxen.

I am about to steam Roll DMMc and pass Evil-Dragon ( sorry you had to pull the plug from those Huge Electric Bills) and a few other up and coming slow machines. Strongbow if you stop, I may pass you, unless your running your whole fleet of Boxen. Then just don't let your guard down! All in fun of course~! :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Strongbow
07-04-2007, 09:59 PM
My systems all seem to have been given monster jobs to complete, hopefully should ward off the 'flight' of the 'N' tomorrow. :icon_wink:

Nflight
07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
The Admin has a news post that answers many questions many of us wonder about! See this thread::::~!!!!!
http://burp.boinc.dk/forum_thread.php?id=650&nowrap=true#4805

Direct from the Admin's mouth, all work units will be credited even if they go over the time limit set by the scheduler.

The deadlines aren't hard deadlines (ie. it doesn't matter whether you return results too late). They are merely guidelines for BOINC to correctly schedule its work. You will be credited even if your results are "in late".

So that means wait out the long times and you will get credit for your hard work!

NeoGen
07-05-2007, 07:43 AM
That answers Strongbow's question on the other thread. :)

Nflight
07-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Update to crunching past the date's on the work units. I have 4 that have been successfully finished past the date given and have reported healthy amounts of points. I have remaining 8 Work Units that once finished will be close to four days past the due date. ALL will be credited with points I am very sure.

Times for work units range anywhere from 20 minutes to 19 hours on my 4200+ machines. That is a large difference but each one is credited with points. :sad5:

Nflight
07-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I have two Work Units that are clearly longer then I have ever seen, one is approaching 19 hours and the other is approaching 33 hours. and the due date is over the allotted time frame. I know I will get credit for these work units as all my other over due work units received credit as well. But 33 hours is very long.....

NeoGen
07-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Pray that windows doesn't crash or makes an update and reboot... :p

Strongbow
07-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I'd hate to tell you this, but... I've got 8 of them their 33hr critters crunching as well!

EDIT: make that 6! ...as my 2 WUs on Vistax64 just failed! 8(

Nflight
07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
24.95 hours for one finished (328 credits pending), and the longer one is still going after 27 hours. This is on a 4200+ machine no less ( no OC'd). :blob3:

LeBo
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
WOW, BURP sure uses a lot on memory. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with 2 Gigs of memory and BURP is using over 1 gig by it's self. Look at attached snap shots.

Strongbow
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I've just taken my Vista x64 system off BURP as I was getting intermittent BSDs. Not sure if it was BURP yet but seeing as my Vista box is also my home's media system I wasn't too happy about missing the British Grand Prix today when it decided to blue screen instead of record it! :icon_mad::(

I've knocked it back down to stock so my E6700 is 'chilling' out now for a well earned rest but I'm reluctant to start up BOINC again until I properly trace what has been at fault.

LeBo
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm running XP Pro on another machine and BURP is using 831 megs for both cores. A Total of 831 Megs , that is. Burp sure is a memory hog. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

NeoGen
07-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Burp is running several sessions at the same time, each with different memory requirements ranging from 256 megs to 1Gb.
People always get workunits for the most demanding sessions that their machines can take.

Nflight
07-09-2007, 12:26 PM
It took 41.4 hours for one work unit! 4 days past due and I received credit for that long time!

Nflight
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Intel the processor is the main discussion here not the team effort. While the Team of Intel has eluded our small contingent of AMD Team Mates from coming close in points output. This post is about the Points allocation.

Over the course of the last week, I have been following the length of time my system, loki, NeoGen, and Strongbows systems take to complete a Work Unit. I then observe the points given for the work related to the other competing participants in this project. It seems that the Intels have a much greater ability to garner the exact amount of credits they claim, then our AMD machines claim.

That is why I posted the Title above........ :o(

NeoGen
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
My machine makes huge claims because I got Crunch3r's client.

Unfortunately I haven't had the luck to share a workunit with other fellows who also have it, so I always get alot less than I claim.:icon_rolleyes:

We could really use one of the heavy crunchers from the contest to come by BURP for a few weeks... don't make me start a race on it.:icon_lol: :icon_razz:

Strongbow
07-12-2007, 07:02 PM
"RACE" "RACE" "RACE" :icon_wink:

Nflight
07-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I second the RACE IDEA ! :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

liuqyn
07-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I started to crunch there, but the large downloads killed my bandwidth to fast. (too many boxes). Hopefully in a few weeks I will be getting a better internet provider, using satellite now due to location and while the max speed is good, they choke it off at 500Mb(I think) a day, after which its worse then dial-up.

Nflight
07-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the TEAM there liuqyn :), We will be patient with your situation :-(. You did a great start of work units and now we know why you suddenly stopped :icon_mad:. Keep up the good work on all your projects you delve into by the looks of your signature, you have been busy! :blob3:

liuqyn
07-14-2007, 02:42 AM
thanks, would you believe I just got back into this at the end of march following about 6 years absence. though back then all there was to run was seti.

AMD-USR_JL
07-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Welcome back then Liuqyn!

I am going to come back here for some weeks, since we got help on DPAD. I had had some problems with running BURP on a dual core, so i upgraded the BOINC to the latest developmental version and I hope I won't have any more problems.

Frederic Brillouet
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Welcome back then Liuqyn!

I am going to come back here for some weeks, since we got help on DPAD. I had had some problems with running BURP on a dual core, so i upgraded the BOINC to the latest developmental version and I hope I won't have any more problems.
what??? i thought you were gonna try to toast my ass there :icon_lol:

AMD-USR_JL
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
what??? i thought you were gonna try to toast my ass there :icon_lol:

I still got my C2D on it, me and Brian are coming for you!!! :icon_twisted:

Frederic Brillouet
07-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I still got my C2D on it, me and Brian are coming for you!!! :icon_twisted:
a c2d? hahahahahahahahahaa (amd pwns c2d on dpad heheh)
I'm still waiting for that overtake heheh

AMD-USR_JL
07-16-2007, 11:57 PM
a c2d? hahahahahahahahahaa (amd pwns c2d on dpad heheh)
I'm still waiting for that overtake heheh

Free-DC says you are road kill in 43 days. All i have to is maintain an average of 30K a day and you are BBQ. 43 DAYS...

Frederic Brillouet
07-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Free-DC says you are road kill in 43 days. All i have to is maintain an average of 30K a day and you are BBQ. 43 DAYS...
i think i still have 45k lying around somewhere. at least it gives me an extra day :icon_lol:

mitchellds
07-20-2007, 09:52 PM
The Intel Team has 1 dude that kicking you guy's butt. Xpod or something like that. Step it up and roll over him, come on!! :icon_mrgreen::icon_rolleyes:

Nflight
07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I am pulling as hard as I can matey, if you feel like trying your luck on this project we could surely use an additional array of hard crunching machines to put this bad boy ( Intel Xpod) behind us~! :icon_mad: :sad5: :blob3:

BlackAdder
07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll run some WU's this week and see if that helps... :)

mitchellds
07-21-2007, 12:46 AM
From reading all of your posts, it sounds a little to error prone and alpha for my liking, plus a little away from my normal projects. I was just reading and thought I'd rass my AMD buddies a bit. :icon_wink:

Nflight
07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Sour Tasting Work Units are a bit not very tasty all the time, but in the last several days the consistency has improved somewhat. We are still in alpha stage your right, but seems the Project coordinator has improved the operations noticeably. :) I understand your foresight but I would love just if you could tickle just one machine of yours as a taste of what the project really is like. Ok, so I am begging for some help here, :( but you have to admit all that are crunching can not get anymore out of our machines to catch the pesky Xpod. :icon_mad: Does the BURP Team have an chance at seeing your machines there mitchellds? :sad5: Just some insight there before you start there are no checkpoints so each work unit must be worked on till its complete or you have to start over.

liuqyn
07-21-2007, 02:24 AM
well, Just fired up my modest farm on this task (at least until my ISP crashes). hope it helps.

Nflight
07-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks liuqyn (http://amdusers.com/forum/member.php?u=878) ~! :blob3:

Nflight
07-22-2007, 12:06 PM
BURP Mid Summer Update
(Originally posted in the wrong forum July 17th - What was I drinking:()
While it looks as if that blasted Intel team we were chasing has built up some steam and kept ahead of us, we are moving up the ranks overall by huge gobs of points. All thanks go to these fine people ....~!

Loki; leads are Team with 22nd place overall and a daily average of somewhere near impossible for the rest of us to match 698 = Job Well Done mate!

Vaughan; our cheery eyed southern hemisphere hero of some, has an on again, off again, approach to participation with this project, with his sturdy herd of cattle crunchers I am sure we could definitely storm ahead for a few days of Intel Team catching could be possible. He is located in 2nd place overall with an average RAC of 177 = As always a Job Well Done in every project he belongs too.

Strongbow; Our current over achiever is pushing out those work units with out fail, he tells his story of being one less boxen doing work yet he still is capable of over 1,000 RAC = Well Done and keep up the good work load.

NeoGen; Our fearless very talkative posting whore on the Team Web Site places 4th overall as he cheerily pushes out work unit after work unit, his average is even powerful for a single dual core AMD of 331 RAC = You simply amaze me with you output there NeoGen!

Poorboy; has been involved with this project over the course of many years and has seen the harsh reality of an alpha stage BOINC project and all its frustrating moments. He has an amazing ability to adapt to each situation. he comes back to us sparingly with a RAC 34 = Keep nibbling there we know those fires could really help us but there are so many other projects just dieing for attention too.

Nflight; Who me? I get started on something, and don't have too much time in my 24 hour period to spend time on DCing, so I push my system to one project and let it go. I am currently sneaking up on Poorboy's tail with a RAC of 493 = I will pat myself on the back when I reach 20,000 points over all = my goal!

Robinder Bains; Our new team member who has not graced us with his presence on the Forum pages yet. He has got some real power under his belt and seems to be doing real well in moving up the stats. A RAC of 301 in less then one week of crunching = keep up the great job !

LeBo; Our past super cruncher has taken his super crunchers off line of this project as it has a nasty taste in his mouth at this time. Not every project is for everyone, this one takes to acclimate yourself to its unusual behavior.

AMD-USR_JL; Just recently resurfaced as a powerful team member and pushing out those numbers on a daily basis, while he is new back to the project his numbers are improving daily, RAC 52 - Keep up the great job!

Frungy; another quiet one to the forums but a serious and devoted cruncher, RAC 55 - again keep up the great work!

gamer007; Our longest participating member of unusual youth amongst all of us old fogies. A return to this project I'd say there gamer, nice job so far keep up the good work.

Carcinogen X; Another new member to the team and another dedicated cruncher doing the great numbers overall. Keep up the great job and visit the forums in your free time.

Lagu; Nice of you to join us and so powerful an entry in the crunching of these work units, Nice to see you old friend!

:wav: Go Team ! :blob3:

Update July 22, 2007 => By my calculations it looks as if we should be in 5th place overall by Wednesday or Thursday of this week! Not bad for Starting the month off in 13th place. Way to go Team ~ :blob3: :blob3:

Strongbow
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I was going to stop at 20k, but I'll hold out a little longer!

NeoGen
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I was going to stop at 20k, but I'll hold out a little longer!
Damn... I was preying at your spot. Guess I won't catch up with you anytime soon then... :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:

EDIT: Oh boy... Mitchell has joined the party! We will all be roadkill soon! :5eek: :icon_lol:

mitchellds
07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi guys, I decided to stop by for a bit. I hate to see a grown man cry/beg (Nflight) :icon_mrgreen::icon_wink:.

Nflight
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Who Me? http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tonks/Smileys/ForumDefaultSmileys/crying-emote.gif ...

Nflight
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Just to infuriate everyone a little more, seems are nemesis Xpod has now 29 active machines on Burp. That is a whole lot of crunching capability, most of them are of the P4 era, not the super duper machines Mitchell and PoorBoy have in there arsenal. Has anyone seen PoorBoy lately we could use some more of his powerful assistance right about now... http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tonks/Smileys/ForumDefaultSmileys/crying-emote.gif

mitchellds
07-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Yup, he's actually doing pretty well credit wise with his gang of merry crunchers. This project is stingy with credit awarded for wu hours processed. I'm watching my average daily output falling running this project over the course of several days. The project leader really needs to adjust that. It seems below the norm to me on my setups, in comparison to other efforts.
:icon_rolleyes:

PoorBoy
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Well I had typed out a real long Mini Rant but I guess I took to long to Type it & it didn't get Posted so to sum up the Rant I'll just put it like this:

The Credit Blows Big Time at the BURP Project for the Quad Core's, their dragged down to the P4 Levels of Credit & I ain't Crunching any Wu's there today, tomorrow, the day after, next week, next month, next year, maybe not even in the next Decade unless the Credit Situation Rectifies it's self there ... :icon_lol:

Nflight
07-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Rant Accepted, I too would not mind a few more points for each Work Unit I receive, so there. My Limit will be reached soon and I will - flutter by. :icon_mad:

mitchellds
07-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I agree with you poorboy. I'll give it a couple more days then I'll be outta here....:icon_rolleyes:

NeoGen
07-27-2007, 12:57 AM
We are about to reach #4, and for the first time getting more points per day than Team Intel! :)

Nflight
07-31-2007, 05:53 AM
BURP is having a fit with my systems, overloading the page file is not a nice thing. I had to end the operation on one of my systems due to incessant compute error's. So I have moved over to my next Boinc Project on one system, if the last system is unable to handle the tremendous amounts of work units that BURP is pushing right now, then I will also leave the project before I hit my goal of 20,000. Pending credit is quickly rising in BURP and I have not seen this since the first few days when I started back earlier this month.

SciLinc is the project that BURP is now reminding me of, very demanding on the processor, too much work for such a short time period.

IN BURP there are no more long 8 hour work units, they are all now 2 to 5 minutes long. Each processor is taking somewhere near 450k to 500k of memory, sometimes the BOINC will display a message of waiting for memory. That is a first for me, anyone else see this I am using the BOINC 5.10.7.

I am very unhappy at not being able to reach my goal. :-(

Nflight
07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
News

Jul 31, 2007
The database will be on and off for the remainder of the day. This unscheduled maintenance happens in order to attempt to increase the performance of the system in cases of sessions with short runtime.
You should be able to get work units most of the time.